Foods that have empty calories

Options
1. Rold Gold Tiny Twist pretzels
2. Mints
3. Chips of any kind

Add to the list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We can make sure no one ever eats these again! (well, not really, because some may still eat them . . . :blushing: )

Replies

• Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    100 calorie packs
  • a_new_mii
    a_new_mii Posts: 53
    Options
    Foods that have empty calories that I've eaten today (a confession):

4. mini snickers
    5. mini kit kat
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    1. powdered coffee creamer

Wow, I cant think of any others so I must be doing pretty well this week!!
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    skinny cow anything.... sad I know ... but oh so true
  • dunhammj
    dunhammj Posts: 16
    Options
    Beer. I wish it had some nutritional benefit so it could be a little justifiable.:drinker:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    but I love chips!!!!! :tongue:
  • chinadolly
    chinadolly Posts: 53
    Options
    probably my mini wheats I had for breakfast, the leftover bits of a hamburger and a few cold fries that consisted of lunch, a handful of almonds...they were chocolate coated, and probably the gummy bears that were lovingly stuffed into my mouth by my darling 3 yr old niece...it's been a rough eats day for me.:sad:
  • chinadolly
    chinadolly Posts: 53
    Options
    oh ya, and 3 cheezies that said 3 yr old shared with me, after she sucked off all the cheese :noway:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    the klondike bar I ate a little while ago
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    2. Mints
    3. Chips of any kind

Add to the list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We can make sure no one ever eats these again! (well, not really, because some may still eat them . . . :blushing: )

You really can't include all chips. Some are much better than the normal "Chip."

I am thinking of Trader Joe's 2 varieties --the Veggie and Flax Seed Tortilla Chips, and the Soy and Flax Seed Tortilla Chips. They are made with whole grains and give you a dose of plant-based Omega 3 fatty acids, which are a good thing to have in any food. Obviously, if you eat the entire bag, you defeat the purpose,:grumble: but a serving of 7 chips has 130 caloies; 17 carbs; 6 grams of fat; 2 grams of protein; 50 mg of sodium; and 3 grams of fiber.

These are suprisingly satisfying, and you can get some more "good fat" by enjoying them with a good all natural guacamole.:love::love: The Trader Joe's brand, again, makes a nice choice, so you can have a satisfying snack and not live to regret it later. :drinker:

So if you have Trader Joe's in your area, try these the next time the "chips are down" at your house:smile:
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Beer. I wish it had some nutritional benefit so it could be a little justifiable.:drinker:

I think "mental health benefits" are important, don't you??:laugh: Besides beer is made from "whole grains" ( barley, wheat (in some cases) etc., so isn't that a little "healthy?":wink:

Close enough for me. I live in the part of the country that has more microbreweries than anywhere else in the USA, so I have to do my part to support the local economy, and thanks to Widmer Hefeweizen, I can !!:drinker: :drinker:
  • aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Options
    2. Mints
    3. Chips of any kind

You really can't include all chips. Some are much better than the normal "Chip."

I am thinking of Trader Joe's 2 varieties --the Veggie and Flax Seed Tortilla Chips, and the Soy and Flax Seed Tortilla Chips. They are made with whole grains and give you a dose of plant-based Omega 3 fatty acids, which are a good thing to have in any food. Obviously, if you eat the entire bag, you defeat the purpose,:grumble: but a serving of 7 chips has 130 caloies; 17 carbs; 6 grams of fat; 2 grams of protein; 50 mg of sodium; and 3 grams of fiber.

These are suprisingly satisfying, and you can get some more "good fat" by enjoying them with a good all natural guacamole.:love::love: The Trader Joe's brand, again, makes a nice choice, so you can have a satisfying snack and not live to regret it later. :drinker:

So if you have Trader Joe's in your area, try these the next time the "chips are down" at your house:smile:

And both varieties are amazing with hummus or the yogurt cilantro chive dip from TJ's!
  • weaklink109
    Options
    You are right.!!! HUMMUS is my FRIEND!!:laugh: One of my favorite ways to use it, besides with the chips we were talking about, is by taking the yolk out of a hardboiled egg and replacing it w/hummus. YUM!!:love:
  • fitgal411
    fitgal411 Posts: 668
    Options
    2. Mints
    3. Chips of any kind

You're right. Tortilla chips are actually a lot healthier than regular chips. But it depends on if they're filling or not, or if you just want to reach into the bag again and again and still feel hungry . . .
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    of all things, Alcohol is the emptiest of calories by far. It isn't even metabolized, so it doesn't even burn calories being converted. Add to that the fact that it's a depressant and slows down the metabolism, and you have a worst case scenario (not to mention all the other bad stuff that happens if you drink to excess regularly).
  • mizphit
    mizphit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You are right.!!! HUMMUS is my FRIEND!!:laugh: One of my favorite ways to use it, besides with the chips we were talking about, is by taking the yolk out of a hardboiled egg and replacing it w/hummus. YUM!!:love:

Oh that is GENIUS!!! Thanks for the idea! I love deviled eggs, but haven't indulged in a long time. I also just recently started making my hummus with black beans and navy beans instead of garbanzo beans. The protein and fiber are higher and the fat is lower---and it tastes great!

Oh yeah...back to the thread topic~~~~~

How about just plain old sugar? Unless of course someone said that already. :tongue:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    of all things, Alcohol is the emptiest of calories by far. It isn't even metabolized, so it doesn't even burn calories being converted. Add to that the fact that it's a depressant and slows down the metabolism, and you have a worst case scenario (not to mention all the other bad stuff that happens if you drink to excess regularly).

dang, and after the other post I went and bought a 6 pack of bass ale:angry:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    how 'bout bday cake when it isn't even your bday?

or each mini candy bar in the goody bag?

(can you tell what i had for my midnt snack last night??:laugh: )
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    tootsie rolls
    (especially the ones in that stupid basket by the fax machine at work!!)
  • keppick
    keppick Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories.... you choose how you want to spend them. If you have an urge for potato chips, beer, whatever have some, but keep it in check! Don't ban ANYTHING from your diet, just don't wipe out the WHOLE BAG of potato chips in one sitting. I find it helpful to get my favorite snacks (chocolate covered pretzels are wonderful) and put them in baggies in single serving portions, that way I can enjoy my favorite "empty calorie" snack and still maintain some moderation. The only trick is NOT munching the WHOLE BAG while I'm repackaging ; )