Cook outs... stop the madness!!!

Options
It seems like every day on the weekends we are invited to a cook out or graduation party or some such thing that has TERRIBLE temptations around every corner. Before I knew what I was doing I had popped the top of a rootbeer and had a chip in my hand. :grumble:

Any tips for ignoring all the finger delights that are sure to kill my hard work?

Replies

• derek136
    derek136 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My secret to the cookouts is fairly simple. It is essential to be social and active during these events in order to keep yourself busy. It seems the ONLY thing to do at these backyard outings is eat one thing after another to keep up with the never seemingly endless parade of burgers, brats, dogs, salads etc. I am a little devious in my strategy. I always take on the cooking duty. If I am the one manning the grill and making sure everyone else is getting their fill. I also stay on top of beverages and plates, napkins etc. I am still social and busy, and at the same time I keep myself from having idle hands. Alot of people may not be able to pull this one off if they are the type to constantly "taste" their food to make sure it is up to par. If that is the case I encourage people to play yard games. There are alot of different games designed for these types of events. Not only are you keeping yourself busy and your wandering fingers occupied you may also burn a few extra calories depending on how demanding the activity. One simple game that I see just about everywhere is "Bags". Another is Bocce Ball. I know these two to be very big in the Chicago area and if they aren't in your area search them on the web and be the person to start it up. As we know alot of that "guilty" eating takes place out of boredom, so by creating a positive activity to keep yourself busy can have positive effects that are multifold.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Don't waste calories on things like pop- bring some bottled water with you, then you can fill a small plate with a few of the more tempting things- small portions. That's how I would handle it. There's always going to be gatherings like this...summer BBQ's, holiday parties and dinners...gotta learn to handle them.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Avoidance may work for some, but I prefer to confront the enemy head on. :devil: My strategy is simple P L A N. I generally know ahead of time when I am going to such an event, so I make sure to go easy on my eating the day before, and plan to do so the day after, as well, assuming that I "enjoy" a little more than usual at the event. I am having good success with zig zag calories (the technique of eating more calories for a day or so every few weeks to keep your body from lowering the metabolism into "starvation mode" and interfering with weight loss) so nothing is off limits in my world, :noway: but I still don't eat everything in sight. I pass by things that I can take or leave, like potato or macaroni salad, but don't stand between me and the ribs,:heart: or you might get trampled!!:laugh:

If you can get some idea of what is being served, you can do a little MFP research ahead of time to have an idea of how much the items that appeal to you will "cost" you calorie-wise.

Last night, for example, I went to a barbecue at some friend's, and I partook of everything on the menu, but did it "my way" The steaks were 8 oz.. I ate half of mine and brought the remainder home for another meal. The dessert was a Trader Joe's individual lemon tart. I LOVE:heart: lemon anything, but at 300 calories, I didn't want to eat the whole thing, so I cut it in half and the remaining half is also still sitting in my fridge tonight. By employing these strategies, I could comfortably enjoy a couple of glasses of wine, and still keep in range of my daily calories. I also didn't post a weight gain this morning as a result of enjoying my night out.:drinker: :drinker:

Another thing that works for me is to bring something I know I can nibble on without guilt, such as veggies with hummus or a low fat dip, and having a drink in your hand keeps you occupied. Only you need to know it is crystal light instead of a high calorie drink.:wink:

You don't have to feel out of place at these events, and if you find the strategy that works for you, whether it is my way or choreographed avoidance you will enjoy yourself.

You will also not have to spend half your time there explaining why you are not eating, because you will be eating. If you choose to tell others what you are doing, that is your business, but if you don't care to tell the world about your weight loss program, no one need know your business unless you choose to share the information

All of my friends know what I am doing. In fact, as a result of my own sucess, at least one person who had given up trying is back "on the wagon" again to try and lose.

So, now get out there and enjoy the summer!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    These are some good strategies here.
    I always eat a little protein (string cheese) & have some water before I go, then make sure I always have water in my hand.
    I'm not shy. If there's no water available, I ask if I can just go to the kitchen & get my own. :blushing:
    If there are veggies for nibbling, I stick with them as long as I can hold out. :wink: Then at least I'm half full of veggies when I do start in on the other stuff.
    I also exercise more earlier in the day so I have extra calories to eat.
    Then I stick with winklink's ideas.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    I usally try to volunteer to bring something I know I can eat and that others will enjoy as well, that way I have something to eat if there's not much else available. Like veggies trays or some other type of side dish low in calories.