DO you eat back your workout calories?

Options
I was wondering who eats and doesn't eat there workout calories because I do not see the sense of eating back the calories you work off because isn't that counter productive. I can be wrong I am just wondering...

Replies

• moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You work out to become stronger. If you don't eat back at least /some/ of those calories, basically all that hard work went to nothing.

I use to not eat back the calories, but once someone talked me into it... I feel stronger, am at a healthy weight, and can run longer distances then I could without eating those calories back.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether I'm hungry or not.
    I usually eat at least some of my exercise calories back, but I eat them all if I'm still hungry. Sometimes, I'm hungry the next day after a long run or difficult workout, then I'll eat more calories THAT day.
  • cmatos426
    cmatos426 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thing is I haven't been hungry and I hate force feeding myself :(
  • agrzybow
    agrzybow Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If I am feeling hungry, I eat back my calories. Some days, I am just hungrier than others. Sometimes I almost can't seem to work out if I haven't had a little extra something. I'd say 75% of the time, I eat back my calories!
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back 50 min if not all of them. I don't function well if I don't
  • robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I eat back some of them depending on my appetite that day.
  • tone4ever
    tone4ever Posts: 32
    Options
    no i dont....
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    HELL YEAH I EARNED THOSE SUCKERS SO I AM GONNA EAT THEM DAMMIT
  • samanthanic0le
    samanthanic0le Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    HELL YEAH I EARNED THOSE SUCKERS SO I AM GONNA EAT THEM DAMMIT

lmao xD that made me smile
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I do a average of 45 minutes of cardio 6 days a week, and on occasion I eat over my calorie limit but my extra calories still keep me under my limit. It is defiantly ok to use some of your extra workout calories, that's why they are there!
  • AnitaRichardson
    Options
    ok feel thesame way!!!!
  • logoode_
    logoode_ Posts: 21
    Options
    Think of it this way - you lose weight with a calorie deficit, which MFP already provides for you. 1200 calories alone will already be a calorie deficit. If you burn 600 calories, you'll be netting 600 calories.

Would you ever eat 600 calories a day to lose weight? No! It wouldn't be smart and you would lose weight at a slower pace.

At first I didn't believe in eating back calories either but I'm losing weight at a faster pace now that I have :)
  • N_Bridgeman
    N_Bridgeman Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/206951-asked-my-trainer-re-eating-back-calories

Read.....best answer to this question. Ive had this discussion quite a bit lately, but this is a good answer.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    yep I eat just about every one of them back I have a great HRM and I`m sure of my burn plus MFP sets my defecit already so yep I earned them I eat them
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do eat my exercise calories, and they are oh so tasty!
  • Arroyosasto
    Options
    I do eat a little less than 1/2 of my earned calories. You need to have to eat after each workout to fuel your muscles and help burn the fat. You dont want to waste your work out. You can try a protien shake or a good smoothie thats not packed with sugar :) Hope this helps!
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I always try. My weight loss is more consistant when I eat them back.
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    I try to eat back about half of my workout calories. Sometimes I don't want that much and I'm not going to eat just to eat though.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    MFP already creates a deficit for you when you choose your activity level.

MFP is set up so that it already creates a deficit, meaning you will lose weight even if you don't exercise. When you exercise, you further increase that deficit. Think of your exercise calories like fuel. When you workout , you need energy, you need fuel. Food is fuel.

P.S. Please please use the search function before posting a thread !!