P90X DIET Help Please!

Options
I am starting P90X tomorrow and I am also following the diet plan. But I do have some questions.
I don't fully understand the 5 proteins, 2 dairy's, 2 veggies etc. ( I am doing fat shredder, level 1) What If I want coffee (which I will) do I count my powdered cream as dairy? condiment? fat? Or what?
I've also never had a protein shake in my life. Whats the difference between whey? Creatine? Why am I eating a protein shake and a protein bar at the same time?? Do I eat breakfast before or after the work out? (I plan on doing my work out at 6am) I know to stay as close to cals as I can for the energy for the workout, but, what if I can't put away as much food as it says? I mean 10 oz of salmon?! With a cup of rice and a cup of asparagus AND a cup of soup?! lol
Sorry I sound so dumb about it all.... but I am new to this, and I want to do it right.

Replies

• WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I am starting P90X tomorrow and I am also following the diet plan. But I do have some questions.
    I don't fully understand the 5 proteins, 2 dairy's, 2 veggies etc. ( I am doing fat shredder, level 1) What If I want coffee (which I will) do I count my powdered cream as dairy? condiment? fat? Or what?
    I've also never had a protein shake in my life. Whats the difference between whey? Creatine? Why am I eating a protein shake and a protein bar at the same time?? Do I eat breakfast before or after the work out? (I plan on doing my work out at 6am) I know to stay as close to cals as I can for the energy for the workout, but, what if I can't put away as much food as it says? I mean 10 oz of salmon?! With a cup of rice and a cup of asparagus AND a cup of soup?! lol
    Sorry I sound so dumb about it all.... but I am new to this, and I want to do it right.

what is the main ingredient in your powdered cream? Probably some kind of hydrogenated oil, so you would count the powder as fat.

I would NOT worry about all the bars, shakes BeachBody wants you to buy. Typically, they are overpriced. You want to drink a protein shake after a workout to help 'feed' the muscles, for me, it did help greatly, I wasn't as sore the next day. i recommend a whey protein isolate (whey is absorbed faster), and whey protein isolate is a more pure form of protein. (more pure than whey protein concentrate)

You do NOT want to workout right after you eat, you need to wait an hour after eating to workout (I workout on an empty stomach-it works for me) If you are hungry when you wake up, I would eat a bit of peanut butter or half a protein bar.

Some people will disagree with me, but if you are maintaining your protein goals (1g per pound of lean body mass) i wouldn't worry too much about eating ALL of your calories.

Personally I think the calories they suggest are very high. I have talked to several nutritionists (not on here, or a BeachBody coach) and they agree that the calories are pretty high. But that's my own opinion..

I'm finishing my last week this week. It's a tough program, but I *LOVED* it! I can't wait to do it all over again.
    You'll do fine!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am happy to hear of someone actually doing it and loving it :)

Yeah, they are recommending 1800+ cals a day, and I don't think I can. I just thought in order to keep up...you would have to. I hate trying to find all my fats, cals, carbs, condiments. But I want to follow the WHOLE program for the 90 days, to get my max benefits. I don't believe in all the crap they sell. I am not buying skakeology, beachbody ...or whatever. I just want to follow it basically... Thanks for the info on the protein shakes. I am worried about my muscles lol... want to keep them healthy!
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options

Um, don't do the P90x diet plan. My wifey was in great shape, she did p90x diet, completely messed up her metabolism and she gained weight a lot of weight. I mean it might be okay for you, do this multiply your weight by 10. so if you weigh 150 * 10 = 1500 calories.

this is how you determine your minimum calorie limit. If P90x is below this, don't do the diet plan.

Oh wow... ok. I didn't know this part!
  • Darrell916
    Darrell916 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I do P90x and I love it. I am not in the best of shape, I actually weigh over 400 pounds and I love it. I am on week 2. I am not doing the diet plan because it is way to much food for me and buying all that food gets expensive. I do have protein shakes after my workouts but I just went to my local GNC and purchased a vanilla protein and a strawberry protein and they taste great. Good luck with the p90x.
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options

Um, don't do the P90x diet plan. My wifey was in great shape, she did p90x diet, completely messed up her metabolism and she gained weight a lot of weight. I mean it might be okay for you, do this multiply your weight by 10. so if you weigh 150 * 10 = 1500 calories.

this is how you determine your minimum calorie limit. If P90x is below this, don't do the diet plan.

Oh wow... ok. I didn't know this part!

I am going to add you, I'll review the diet(never really reviewed it), and get back to you.

Ok awesome :)
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    I do P90x and I love it. I am not in the best of shape, I actually weigh over 400 pounds and I love it. I am on week 2. I am not doing the diet plan because it is way to much food for me and buying all that food gets expensive. I do have protein shakes after my workouts but I just went to my local GNC and purchased a vanilla protein and a strawberry protein and they taste great. Good luck with the p90x.

I agree.. It can get expensive.. are you getting good results and not following the diet?
  • Darrell916
    Options
    I am doing pretty good with it. I am feeling a lot better than I did before I started. I am noticing more energy, but I do have problems with ploymetrics and yoga
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    I am doing pretty good with it. I am feeling a lot better than I did before I started. I am noticing more energy, but I do have problems with ploymetrics and yoga

I heard Yoga is the hardest part! ... I am looking forward to ploymetrics. I want it to kick my *kitten* lol
  • spelham15
    spelham15 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I hope you enjoy P90X! I'm on week 1 of phase 3, love it and can't wait to do it again. I haven't seen a lot of weight loss, but my clothes fit much better and after writing down all my reps and weights I can see marked improvements from phase 1 to phase 3. I didn't follow the diet plan. I can't imagine eating 10 oz of salmon, a cup of rice, a cup of veggies, etc. in one sitting. I could barely choke down my 4 oz. of chicken breast and 10 spears of asparagus tonight.

Wanted to share that there is a P90X group on here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/42-p90x . You should join.

So, just "do your best and forget the rest" :)
  • Darrell916
    Options
    I don't follow their plan, right now I have my calories set at 2650 per day and with the food that I eat I have a hard time reaching that.
  • Darrell916
    Options
    Thank you for the information. I don't know how to make my meals bigger cause by time eating that much food I feel like I am going to get sick, but I will try to add some calories
  • jolene930
    Options
    I worked out on an empty stomach (had my water handy, though) and used Shaklee products for my protien drinks. For the coffee creamer, I'd check the nurtrition facts label on the container for protien, dairy and fat content.

I was on P90X last summer and lost well as long as I was 'doing the discs'. However, I found some of them a bit too much for me. Also, I have two jobs (one is full-time nights); so, the preparing all but the breakfasts and shakes was too time consuming. The recipes were great, though. The (Morningstar Farm) sausage patty on English Muffin with shredded fat-free cheese is still my favorite breakfast (and snack). When my garden is producing, I add a tomato slice, with basil leaves. And, I still do the stretching and yoga discs from P90X.

Good luck with P90X!
  • smczapla
    smczapla Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am loosely following the P90X diet (if I don't eat all that food I don't sweat it, I let myself have an extra fat here and there), and for me to get all of my groceries for the week was $50. If I eat more than their diet plan recommends, I don't sweat it as long as it is vegetables or lean meat I am eating more of (although they recommend so much food that it rarely happens!)

Many people don't realize that they are often not feeding their bodies enough. If you are eating periodically all day, but eating the right stuff, your body will be in MUCH better shape! I try to listen to my body and stop eating when I am full and only eat when I am actually hungry.
  • Bobbydigitalx
    Options
    Just started P90x. Iam 210 pounds and its calculated that my calorie intake each day is 3000!!!! HOLY I dont think i can eat that much food each day.

DOES THIS SEEM NORMAL??