What Keeps You Going?

Options
gemiwing
gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
Hullo All,
It's now about three weeks and I'm noticing something- I'm starting to lose my zest. I'm not sure if it's because I'm now eating well and exercising without really thinking about it (haven't fallen off the wagon) or if I'm reaching that point where it really does become a life-style change and not just something 'new'.

What gets you over the humps of changing your life? Do you use rewards or is it something 'bigger' that keeps you interested and plugged in to your health/weight loss routine?

I need some inspiration, I think. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I think for me it has to be about improving. I know that if I quit I will never get any better. I may stay the same or I may get worse but my body/health/energy will never improve. I have to actively work on it for it to happen.

I also am a big believer in tracking data. I like to keep track of weight, inches, miles walked, minutes of working out. It's such an inspriration to look back on where you started and see what you have been able to accomplish.

I am nowhere close to perfect, but these things have made my fitness and health goals stay in the front of my mind.

Good luck and take care :heart:
  • coolviolet73
    Options
    Dear Gemiwing,

First of all---congrats on getting this far! Remember, it takes 28 days (at least) to make a real change in your behavior, and you're almost there! I'm not sure about you, but after years and years of eating junk food and not exercising myself, I know that there are days when I get frustrated and want to give up. So my suggestion to you is to review your progress so far to give yourself a reminder of how far you've come. Or, grab an empty jar (or any other container) and write on little scraps of paper why you've chosen to make this change (e.g. "to feel better about myself", "to be a smaller size" ,"to look better than my cousin Mischa at our family reunion"). And when you have a day like this when you need motivation, just grab of handful of these affirmations and read them over and over again.

I'd like to share with you what got me started. As a person that works with people to modify their behavior, I felt that if my clients could give up heroin, I can surely lay off the cupcakes. I'm a better person for it, and a better therapist. But remember, just like any other addiction (and overeating is an addiction), practicing quitting makes perfect. It often takes a person several trips through rehab in order to get clean (this is what we call practice quitting), so it might take a person who's trying to lose weight several attempts to do it successfully. So be patient with yourself, know that this will take time, and keep trying. Hang in there! :-)

In response to:

Hullo All,
    It's now about three weeks and I'm noticing something- I'm starting to lose my zest. I'm not sure if it's because I'm now eating well and exercising without really thinking about it (haven't fallen off the wagon) or if I'm reaching that point where it really does become a life-style change and not just something 'new'.

What gets you over the humps of changing your life? Do you use rewards or is it something 'bigger' that keeps you interested and plugged in to your health/weight loss routine?

I need some inspiration, I think. "
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    love the ideas

and i also use rewards--like at x wt i will get a massage, and at x wt or inches lost i willget new bras, or after x miles i can get a new dvd, etc.

fear is another great motivator for me. i absolutely do not want to go back to where i was. i really didn't like myself or my health status there.

there are also lots of teams to join up on mfp. many do weekly challenges to keep you motivated. even if you don't join a team, you can lurk and take on the challenge for yourself--and either report back to the genl board or toyour journal.

you have made it this far--KEEP MOVING FORWARD! :heart:
  • sassekel
    sassekel Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that I'm not just doing this to look better but because I want to feel good about myself and improve my self esteem by making healthier choices for my body. I have gave up and self destructed so many times before and then I end up disgusted with myself , this time I would like to see it through and keep my new healthyier lifestyle. that is enough for me:drinker:
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    remind yourself that you are doing it for your health and mental well being

as well some tips i have gotten here that work:

look at yourself in the mirror naked

and for me, as shallow as it may sound, i feel like i have more options with what i wear and how i wear it. i love dancing and clubbing and if i can feel good in a little number i don't need other peoples approval to wear it which is what i sometimes look for when i don't feel i look good.

and do it for the endurance...become a fitness warrior, give yourself a lot of little goals

....on top of that, congrats on your desire to keep going, that is worth more than anything
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    For me, little success and progress have been keeping me going. Each weigh-in day that I am down, I feel so motivated to continue. I suggest taking measurement (if you haven't already) so that on weeks that the scale doesn't move you can see the inches coming off and know that you are headed in the right direction.

Fitness progress also keeps me going. Knowing that when I started, 20 min of exercise was hard and now I can go 1hr+ makes me feel good and wanting to keep going on my journey.

Good luck!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    For me, right now, it's getting older. I just turned 36, and it's becoming a lot more serious than just looking good- it's a health thing. I have fibromyalgia as well as being overweight, and I just can't go on feeling this bad.

Being overweight has stolen so much from my life...I love fashion, and have never been able to express that love being limited to plus size fashions. I want to be able to do fun things with my daughter. I want to be able to be out in public without feeling self-conscious about my weight. I don't want to be the biggest person in the room anymore. I want to be looked at as a person, and not a "fat person". I want to be able to put on some light summer clothes instead of dying under the heavy clothing I wear to cover up my body. It's freakin' hot being in this body! I just want to be all around comfortable.

As far as rewards go...think of that lower number on the scale as your reward.
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Good posts!

Bump
  • Delphi
    Delphi Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For me, I simply feel better. From the way I look, to my stamina and ultimately the way I generally feel...all the time. Every aspect of my life has changed for the better and that my dear, is indeed, more than enough to keep me motivated and committed. :smile:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that losing 135 lbs wasn't easy...............and didn't happen overnight.

I am not sure what kept me going exactly. Just a drive and determination that I have never felt before. Maybe it was my son or the fact that I was missing out on so much fun and life because of my weight (and my self-image)...or maybe I just got sick and tired of food controlling me anymore.

Also, I stopped stressing out....and eased into this and learned and educated myself and started to pay attention to how my body responded to food. I started to see it as fuel and would realize how much better I felt eating certain things over others.

When you are in tune with your body and start treating it with the respect it deserves, a lifestyle change like this becomes MUCH easier.

Also, realizing that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. I had read that one of the traits of "naturally thin" people is that they DO allow themselves treats...but the difference is they do it once in awhile...and have their "Norm" be a healthier way. It makes this journey much easier and takes the "weight" off your shoulders so to speak and allows you to just keep going.

Another BIG thing that kept me going was thinking that the days, weeks, months...will pass anyway.......and think of how horrible it would be to get to a point in time...(months down the road) and know you could have lost a lot of weight or even been at your goal by then?? Trust me, pushing yourself through the doubt and frustration is so worth it when you reach that point in time and you are living a new life!! :flowerforyou:

Best of luck to you!! :smile:

-Tami
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Hullo All,

I need some inspiration, I think. :flowerforyou:

To be completely honest I don't want to be fat. I don't use excuses I am held accountable for everything- Like if my husband doesn't go to the gym thats not an excuse for me not to go. I love seeing my muscles define I like buying smaller clothes= I keep myself going. Just because I am a mom and a wife doesn't mean I can't be hott anymore. So that is what keeps me pushing on.
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    The way I feel since I've lost the weight I have. I have so much more stamina now. I love challenging myself. Maybe you need a visual cue. I once heard of someone taking two glass jars and filling one with stones/marbles . Every pound you lose transfer one marble to the empty jar. I think this is a cute idea. I might do it too. I have also found healthy alternatives to what I like to eat so I never feel deprived. Good luck on your journey. Cindy :heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I've been doing this one day at a time for five months. I try to learn something new about nutrition and fitness almost every day. for me, losing this weight has been a matter of life or death.

I've sought ways to entertain and treat myself that don't involve food.

One of the best things I did was find a group on the boards at MFP and I check in with them every day.

I set little goals---how much water I drink, how many steps on my pedometer, saying no to birthday cake and reward myself in little ways for reaching my little goals.

I'm so glad you asked this question. I hope you find the answer that will help you.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    something else that keeps me from giving up...is clicking 'done logging today' and it showing how many lbs you would gain in 5 weeks if you messed up every day.

it forces you to keep going because you do not want every day to be like todays!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so very, very much. I had started this new phase of my life with good intentions (uh-oh) yet I didn't know *why* I wanted this. Nor did I know what would keep me going.

Hubbs and I sat down tonight and we both went over what drives us.

Here's some of what drives me (yep these are going in the jar!)
    -Feeling stronger than my illnesses.
    -Feeling that my body is NOT my enemy.
    -Showing my docs that I AM HEALTHY.

The biggest one is one I call The Checkout Line.

Before I fell ill a few years ago, I started eating right, weight lifting and had lost 100llbs.

I was grocery shopping on a busy Saturday afternoon and putting my items on the checkout belt. Lowfat cottage cheese, chicken, brown rice, eggs, lowfat milk, veggies. Just another week of groceries.

Then I looked at the order ahead of me in line. Cheetos, white bread, boxed pasta dinners, snack cakes, frozen Mega Man dinners and a can of corn. I felt my stomach lurch as I saw what once would have been MY week of groceries. I saw all of the emotional eating, all of the pain hidden within a bag of cheese colored styrofoam and fake chocolate chip fillings.

I quickly looked back at my own groceries- I could feel the horror on my face and didn't want to make anyone else feel bad, simply because I no longer ate those things didn't mean that others couldn't enjoy them if they wanted to.

As I stood staring intently at my own food slowly making its way across the belt, something blurred in the corner of my eye. It was a large container of lowfat cottage cheese. It was soon joined with a package of chicken breasts, a dozen eggs, yogurt, vegetables and whole grain bread.

My head moved on it's own and I looked up at the man behind me in line. He was muscled, proportionate and stood strong on his feet. He was looking at my food- then we looked at each other and smiled.

We didn't talk about the hours of sweaty dedication, the joys of finishing that final rep you couldn't do two weeks ago or redirecting well-meaning friends' offers of twinkies. There was no mention of calories, early morning protien shakes or the pride we felt in taking care of our bodies. We didn't even say hello. We didn't have to.

We knew who we were and where we were going.

I paid for my groceries and walked out of the store knowing that I wasn't alone in a sea of fad diets and poor nutritional 'advice'. I was part of something bigger, healthier and more joyous than simply 'eating'.

I wasn't eating for weight loss, a pair of pants or my spouse. I was eating for LIFE.

:flowerforyou:
  • keppick
    keppick Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Have you lost enough to fit into a different size? Then party by getting one new outfit at the new size. Theoretically, it won't fit in another month but REMEMBER you can always tailor it down... a lot harder to tailor clothing to a bigger size!
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Buying an entire new fabulous wardrobe keeps me going. Oh and also wanting to take pictures again without cropping my belly out and my arms (and my chin, and my neck, and my thighs...lol)
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Before I fell ill a few years ago, I started eating right, weight lifting and had lost 100llbs.

I was grocery shopping on a busy Saturday afternoon and putting my items on the checkout belt. Lowfat cottage cheese, chicken, brown rice, eggs, lowfat milk, veggies. Just another week of groceries.

Then I looked at the order ahead of me in line. Cheetos, white bread, boxed pasta dinners, snack cakes, frozen Mega Man dinners and a can of corn. I felt my stomach lurch as I saw what once would have been MY week of groceries. I saw all of the emotional eating, all of the pain hidden within a bag of cheese colored styrofoam and fake chocolate chip fillings.

I quickly looked back at my own groceries- I could feel the horror on my face and didn't want to make anyone else feel bad, simply because I no longer ate those things didn't mean that others couldn't enjoy them if they wanted to.

As I stood staring intently at my own food slowly making its way across the belt, something blurred in the corner of my eye. It was a large container of lowfat cottage cheese. It was soon joined with a package of chicken breasts, a dozen eggs, yogurt, vegetables and whole grain bread.

My head moved on it's own and I looked up at the man behind me in line. He was muscled, proportionate and stood strong on his feet. He was looking at my food- then we looked at each other and smiled.

We didn't talk about the hours of sweaty dedication, the joys of finishing that final rep you couldn't do two weeks ago or redirecting well-meaning friends' offers of twinkies. There was no mention of calories, early morning protien shakes or the pride we felt in taking care of our bodies. We didn't even say hello. We didn't have to.

We knew who we were and where we were going.

I paid for my groceries and walked out of the store knowing that I wasn't alone in a sea of fad diets and poor nutritional 'advice'. I was part of something bigger, healthier and more joyous than simply 'eating'.

I wasn't eating for weight loss, a pair of pants or my spouse. I was eating for LIFE.

:flowerforyou:

I love that!
    :heart:
    Thank you.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Buying an entire new fabulous wardrobe keeps me going. Oh and also wanting to take pictures again without cropping my belly out and my arms (and my chin, and my neck, and my thighs...lol)

Take a look at my photo- I crop out everything I possibly can. lol One more thing I don't want to HAVE to do anymore!
  • evanslawn
    evanslawn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great posts!225592.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary