Cops are in my house!

Options
_Ben
_Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
Weird weird weird day.

So after a long crazy day of studying, of taking exams, of seeing my girlfriend after she had an extremely had day at work, I head home. I get back at about 11:45pm, and notice someone is in my parking spot. Im pissed, and then I realize my front door is wide open. (Note I live in a condo owned by my parents). So my first thought was maybe the car was my roommates friend's car, and maybe they were leaving or whatever. So I park, and I see my roommates light on, and figure maybe they are moving something in or out of his room.

So I approach the house, but Im not an idiot, I know something isnt right. I pull out my phone, dial in 911, and get ready to push send. I see a man in my kitchen look up at me, and I do not recognize him. He turns to me and says "is this your house?"

I respond "yes it is?...." ready to run like a bat out of hell and call the cops.

He then says "Well were with the sheriffs department", as he says this, a Oakland County Sheriff walks down the stairs in uniform, so I know they are cops, but now I'm panicing.

Why are they in my house? What did I do? Why would they be searching my house? Did someone steal something? Mind you I have a very very expensive computer, as well as a ton of expensive DJing equipment, that I run an entire business with. So now Im panicing that something was stolen

The detective says "Your roommate has been arrested". All the sudden I go from terrified, to relieved that I didnt do anything or nothing was stolen, to being incredibly confused. My roommate works two jobs, at a Taco Bell and a gas station, both doing the night shift. He sleeps all day, spends most of his awake hours in his room. Nights he has free I presume he hangs out with his friends, but Im rarely home at night because of school/work/girlfriend/family/sports hobbies. Essentially, we have lived together maybe 5 months, but I dont know him all that well.

I tried to ask the officer what happened, but he said with him being an adult, they couldnt tell me what happened. I called my mom (the owner) so the officer could explain the situation to her, and while the officer was on the phone, I talked to the detective. He could tell we (my mom and I) were concerned it may be a serious offense like drug trafficking or murder or w/e, so he sort of told me that he was pulled over for a traffic violation, and some 'questionable' (ie Stolen) items were found in his car. They took my information, and I took theirs, and then I got back on the phone with my mom, and she reminded me that the hallway closet was primarily used by my roommate. So I went and showed the officers the closet, and they took out his PS3, and started going through his electronics. He always had a bunch of electronics, but I just figured that was him being a 25 year old nerd.

BTW just to give a breif background. My roommate is a huge nerd, plays video games, reads mangas, supposedly a converted muslim, obsessed with reddit, etc. Hes not some gangbanger or anything.

So after about 20 min, they had taken his ps3, a 360, and whatever else they had taken before I got there, and they told me my roommate would probably be in jail for at least a few days, and then hopefully hed get in contact with me.

So we are reviewing the lease agreement, seeing if we can ask him to leave. He still has all his cloths, his computer, etc.

One thing I will say on his behalf, I have been questioned about stolen property before myself. I had bought some used dj equipment from a dj who worked at a dj store, and its was questionable wheter what I bought was stolen. I have no idea if in the end the items were stolen, because the owner of the store knew me (and I had bought $1.5k in merch from him), so he didnt want to press charges.

All in all, a crazy night. Now I need to get refocused, and try to study tonight

Replies

• misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    At least all your stuff didn't go missing! Crazy night
  • _Ben
    Options
    At least all your stuff didn't go missing! Crazy night

Yea that was the first thing I checked. Not only is all of that stuff super expensive, but I have all my homework on my computer
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    If its legal and since you dont know him that well change the locks on your doors.
  • _Ben
    Options
    If its legal and since you dont know him that well change the locks on your doors.

Well the problem is he does still have a bunch of stuff in the house thats his
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I know but so do you. If it's legal change the locks and he can call you to come get his stuff out.
    I know it sounds harsh but you dont know him that well and he is going to be short of money when he gets out. And you would be screwed if he stole your DJ. equipment.
  • _Ben
    Options
    Yea thats true. Ill call my mom (lease owner) and see what we can do
  • skinnieminniemouse
    Options
    You are so lucky he didn't steal all your dj stuff! That must have been scary!
  • _Ben
    Options
    You are so lucky he didn't steal all your dj stuff! That must have been scary!

Took me all a bit by surprise. Well see in the next few days how it all pans out