Treadmill weight limits - Do they matter?

Options
I'm buying a used treadmill that has a "Max user weight" that is 15 lbs less than my current weight.

My ultimate concern is that when I'm running on it the belt will "pause" for a split second when I put my foot down. I've had this happen on treadmills at the gym when they're old or worn out and it's no fun, makes it impossible to run on them

I've read that if you put it at a incline that will help, since gravity is helping move the belt down and your foot doesn't come down flat, instead you're foot will help to pull the belt down. It has a power incline option up to 10% so I'll probably set it to 5% and see if that helps.

So has anyone tried using a treadmill they were "too heavy" for? Is there a solution? I'm getting this for less than half what a walmart treadmill costs so I really don't care if I break it but I would like it to last for about 6 months.

Replies

• loseweightjames
    Options
    bump?
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    If it was a treadmill at a gym, I would probably not worry since I could always just use a different machine, but if it's something you're investing in for a long-term piece of equipment, I might get something with a big higher weight limit.
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    I think it's absolutely necessary to follow wt limits on exercise equiptment. That being said, it actually p!sses me off when ppl wreck equiptment at the gym, I like to use, because they exceed the limits. This is far to hard on these machines. I understand everyone wants to lose weight but please refrain from using this equiptment in a semi public place. That being said.

If walking and running is what you want to do, many schools have open tracks, you could mall walk, or just run/walk anywhere. If you want to purchase your own personal treadmill don't be surprised if it breaks or doesn't work right. It's your money do as you like with it. It is your equiptment to use as you like. You could always work on losing the 15 lbs, then purchase one.
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    If it was a treadmill at a gym, I would probably not worry since I could always just use a different machine, but if it's something you're investing in for a long-term piece of equipment, I might get something with a big higher weight limit.

no this is like a walmart treadmill but one of the more expensive kind, like the 600 or 800 dollar model. It's got ifit.com and a little track that lites up to show progress and everything