In need of tips on what to eat and what NOT

Options
Hey Everyone, i am in need of tips on what i can eat and can't eat for my diet that i just started. What is a good lunch? What is good for dinner? Do i have to eat breakfast? When is the best time to eat dinner, i have read it is best to eat dinner before 6 pm. I started doing zumba for 20 minutes on xbox kinect and after dinner i do another work out for 30 minutes (biggest Loser for kinect). Is that enough work out? Any help is apreciated

Replies

• BatWoman2012
    Options
    Hi I have an open diary but feel free to add me :) I actually don't do much exercise coz Im lazy but I drink loads of water and have recently been trying to cut my sodium right down and it seems to be working this week. I have read on here multiple times it doesnt really matter what time you eat as long as you eat when your body is truly hungry and not just dehydrated. I never used to eat breakfast but I do everyday now since I have been on here. Im trying to speed up my metabolism and it helps to get close to eating my calories for the day
  • frankiesats
    frankiesats Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    By 'the book' you should eat three meals a day and include two snacks if necessary.

Breakfast is a very important meal as it gives your body fuel for the day. If you haven't eaten since 6 the previous evening waiting until 12/1/2 in the afternoon is a long time without food and your body is more likely to hold onto anything you eat. Eating small, regular meals is a great thing and will stop you feeling hungry!

What you eat should really depend on what you enjoy, and what works for you. Trial and error is necessary before you'll get things right. As for exercise, do as much as you feel your body can handle and you can fit into your schedule!

My diary is open feel free to take a look :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is really to eat what you like ... but make most of it healthier choices (which by my definition means lots of fruit and veggies, lean meats, grainy breads, brown rice, reduced fat dairy, good fats like olive oil, avocado, nuts etc and not too much overly processed stuff with little nutrition).

Plus:
    - Make sure you eat enough to meet your calorie goal (plus exercise cals) each day.
    - Eat any time you like, experiment to find the eating pattern that keeps you satisfied and full of energy.
    - Move your body every day, doing something that you enjoy.
    - Don't set yourself up to fail by making too many complicated rules or denying yourself everything that you enjoy.

There is no "right" way to diet, everyone has to find what suits their own body and lifestyle.
  • sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Think about what you usually eat and then buy a food scales and measure everything. This is what works for. I didn't cut out anything but I realised my portion sizes were twice what I should be eating. Don't guess on calories, its so easy to get the exact amount if you measure.
  • vmessyness
    vmessyness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i think it is helpful to add some folks with open diaries so you can get an idea of what other folks are eating (feel free to add me if you'd like). also, what's been SO helpful for me is finding a few food blogs that i really love, to inspire me with new creative ideas. :)

eating is somewhat of a personal thing. i think the only universal advice i would give anyone is to EAT OUT RARELY, PREPARE MOST OF YOU MEALS AT HOME, DRINK MOSTLY WATER, AND KEEP SNACKS YOU ENJOY IN YOUR PURSE/CAR/BACKPACK/DESK.

hope that helps :)