My first "proper" breakfast.

Options
Blaaaaah.

So I've been spending most of my spare time this past week reading up and trying to educate myself on proper nutrition and fitness habits. I've decided to make a serious commitment to myself this summer before I go off to university next year, and one of the first things I've decided to change is my daily calorie allotments. Before I usually ate less than 200cal for breakfast, about 200-300 for lunch, ( maybe some junk food in between lunch and dinner) and then a massive dinner, and probably some more junk food before bed. Pretty bad right? I tried just cutting out the junk food, but I failed miserably. So anyways, according to my research (:tongue:) I am not eating enough healthy meal foods earlier on in the day, and thus why I'm starving at the end of the day and reaching for the pizza and cookies.

So I should be taking about 1200cal a day, ( in order to lose 2lbs a week) and I've decided to divide those cals up:

Breakfast-400
Lunch- 300
Supper-300
Snack- 200 ( plus whatever meal cals I don't eat)

From what I've read, this seems pretty sound, right?

Well man, that 400 cal breakfast nearly KILLED me! :noway:
I had some extra fibre oatmeal, with fresh berries and a little milk on top, and one scrambled egg, with about 3/4c of chopped pepper and onion, and a little salsa.. came out to 399 calories. I feel like I'm going to be sick. I am sooo overfull.

Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong? Or does my body just need time to get used to it?

Replies

• Louiee
    Louiee Posts: 6
    Options
    I think you just need to get used to it.
    But don't push yourself and feel sick.
    My plan recommends I eat 1200 a day, and trying to get to that is proving difficult.
    I did the same thing in allocating meal calories but I end up feeling ridiculously full to the point of nausea after them.
    So I'm going to eat what I'm comfortable with. There's no point shoving in too much food that your body doesn't want.
  • keppick
    keppick Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Spread it out! I do find a LARGE breakfast difficult. So, I have a medium sized breakfast then a large, HEALTHY snack at about 10:30 (usually a yogurt tube, cheese stick, and an apple or a cup of grapes - this is large for a "snack").

Planning out healthy snacks can be just as important as healthy meals. It works for me to have snacks between each meal and one at night a few hours before going to bed. I like it and theoretically it helps your body maintain energy levels rather than having a rollercoaster situation of peaks and valleys throughout the day.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Thanks for your replies ladies!
    I definitely agree eating more than you want to is a pain, and spreading it into snack seems like a much better idea :D

So instead maybe I'll eat a 300cal breakfast, and then i can have 2 snacks around 150cals each , or something like that?
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I think I would barf if I ate 400 cals for a healthy breakfast. However if those 400 cals consisted of biscuits and gravy I would have no problem :laugh:

I would just do what you said, eat 300 cal breakfast and eat snacks to make up for it. What I do is have around 200 calories at 7:30, and I am always hungry again by 9:30 or 10, so then I have a snack like a banana or some almonds. That holds me over for lunch and I don't feel gross at all.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My mother always said to eat breakfast like the emperor, lunch like a burgher and supper like a beggar. She's in pretty good shape for 83!