30 Day Shred - Any advice?

Options
FR89
FR89 Posts: 186 Member
I have received my 30DS DVD and now debating when to start - im thinking 1st of May at this point... and I would LOVE to get advice from fellow 30DS peeps...:smile:

Any Do's and Don'ts ? ... I want to be well prepared and not give up half way.. want to do it all the way to the end! :bigsmile:

Replies

• tcat2012
    tcat2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Be careful with your form (listen to Jillian) so you don't hurt your knees. Follow Anita (modified girl) when you need to (and even modify more if you have to in the beginning). You'll likely be very sore after day 1, but push through it. I didn't think level 1 was hard at all until the next day when my butt/thighs were seriously aching. I found level 2 the most difficult because of the planks but it made a big difference in inches lost in my midsection. Don't forget to take your measurements (very important!!) because you may see more inches lost than lbs. It's amazing!
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Basically as above poster said! My ticker is my side progress from start to finish of 30DS also have pics on a thread I wrote :) make sure you eat enough but the most important thing apart from proper form is MEASUREMENTS!!! I took mine on day 1, day 8, day 18 & day 30 and I lost nearly 15 inches! Only 2.3lbs were lost but I will take the inches over lbs ANYDAY!!

Jen x
  • FR89
    Options
    thanks.. i'll take measurements this weekend!! and pix too.. =) xx
  • EmmaR84
    EmmaR84 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Prepare to work hard!
    I did level 1, the first few days I struggles but by day 4 I noticed a huge improvement to my fitness. At the end of level 1 I hurt my knee doing zumba and had to take a week off. I have just (literally 10 mins ago!) completed day 1 of level 2 and I am cursing the woman! BUT after day 1 level 1 I was also cursing her, by the end I was enjoying it.

I don't do it every day instead follow Jillians advice (someone posted a blog post with teh link, I can't remember who sorry) where she recommends doing 30DS for 2 days, 1 day cardio, 2 more days shred, 1 day cardio and then a rest day. It means it takes more than 30 days start to finish but I found the cardio days helped stop me aching too much.

Good luck!
  • FR89
    Options
    Thank you.. i'll defo include cardio ... back to back 30days do sound like A LOT of hard work... xx
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Mom2M_and_O Posts: 214
    Options
    Thank you.. i'll defo include cardio ... back to back 30days do sound like A LOT of hard work... xx

Not just hard work but it gets boring otherwise. :yawn: I wish I had started out alternating the days. And don't be surprised if about 6 days into level 1 you want to throw a brick at Jillan. For some reason the other phases didn't bother me but I came to hate her chattiness and cues towards the end of phase 1. That's what the music only option is for on the DVD!

Modify and do what you can do but don't give up. You'll be shocked at how much improvement you see 6 days into it. Your stamina and flexibility will be a lot higher. And each time you push play try to do one more of each move than you were able to do before. I had trouble with the oblique twists in phase 2. I could do two at a time, break for a second, do two more. By the end of phase 2 I was able to keep up with them for 30 seconds straight. But you have to decide one day to try to push yourself to the next level and just see if your body will accomodate you. It was really eye opening for me to see what my body was capable of if I just gave it a chance.

Also, if your DVD player will pick up in the spot where you left off, don't take the disc out. The two discs I tried wouldn't let me fast forward through all the intro crap and it wastes a lot of time. So, at the end of your workout, cue up the dvd where you want to start the next time so you can just push play and jump right in.

Have fun!
  • aray1107
    aray1107 Posts: 75
    Options
    Definitely take measurements! Most people don't lose weight, but people tend to shed lots of inches! I love the workokut, but had to stop now due to a shoulder issue. =/ I had completed it once before a few months ago. I did each level for 10 days straight through.

You'll be very sore the first day or two, but push through and you will be good to go!

Good luck!
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I also just started this program. Yesterday was my first day and...OUCH!! I can see how the routine can get boring over and over but at least the exercises are pretty basic ones that I actually enjoy.

My big question is, how do you log it on MFP?
  • Kylabgeek
    Kylabgeek Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just finished day 4 of level 1. I am sore, but I am enjoying the video. I like that it's broken up the way it is and by the time I get to circuit 3 it goes by really quickly. And I am really glad she saves the hardest ab exercise for the last segment because I will push through it knowing that it's almost over.

I took pics on Day 1 and also a ton of measurements. I am choosing not to weigh for the time it takes me to get through the 30 days of the program too. Since I heard a lot of people either don't lose weight or just lose a few pounds I want to focus on the actual changes in my body not the scale. It's not like I carry the scale around saying "See? I lost weight." If ya can't tell it in your clothes and how you feel and look without them, then that pound lost is really not that inspiring.
  • Kylabgeek
    Kylabgeek Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I also just started this program. Yesterday was my first day and...OUCH!! I can see how the routine can get boring over and over but at least the exercises are pretty basic ones that I actually enjoy.

From what I have seen and what I do, is log it under circuit training since that is essentially what we are doing. I log it as 20 minutes.
  • Nix0224
    Nix0224 Posts: 8
    Options
    I did it 31 days in a row (I'm an overachiever...ha!) a couple years ago. I agree that level 2 was the worst for me. It does get boring but it's highly effective! Also you may have everything she says memorized but I always told myself it's only 20-25 minutes so it'll go fast and I always felt amazing to get it done. Good luck!
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Start whenever, I started on valentine's day just because it was the day I got the DVD. Take pics and measurements before, you may not lose alot of lbs but you WILL lose inches. I lost 6lbs and 11 inches in 30days. It will be hard but well worth it!
  • FR89
    Options
    Thank you ladies... :smile: i cant wait to make a start and i guess 20-30mins is the least amount of exercise i should do (especially with a desk job and not much activity during the day) but i will also add cardio too..

Will let you know about the progress!! xx :flowerforyou:
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Options

My HRM said I burned between 220 and 250 calories in the 27 minutes from warmup to cooldown. I'm 5'3" and started at 154lbs. From what I've read on other threads, that's pretty typical of the burn.
  • micwik
    micwik Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am on day 3 of the shred and i feel like Jillian is truly kicking my butt right now. I keep reading messages like the ones above and it keeps me motivated.

Does anybody know any men who have done the shred? I am trying to talk my husband into doing it with me.
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Options
    I am on day 3 of the shred and i feel like Jillian is truly kicking my butt right now. I keep reading messages like the ones above and it keeps me motivated.

Does anybody know any men who have done the shred? I am trying to talk my husband into doing it with me.

My husband did it with me. Made me feel better that he was in better shape than me and was still pouring sweat during it.
  • AislingRA
    AislingRA Posts: 56
    Options
    I am on day two and while I am not feeling sore after, it is a challenge at the time. I have given up logging calories and want to get a better perspective on things. I am 130 lbs and just want to trim up!

Shredders of the world unite, you have nothing to lose other then inches!!!
  • misti17
    misti17 Posts: 106
    Options
    I love love love 30DS. I am on my 3rd time of it. First time I lost 16 inches all over. Stick with it, do it the full 30 days. The second time I upped my weights, and now this 3rd time i have upped the weights again and do circuit/strength training after. I woudln't wait till May 1, I'd start today, that is my biggest advise. Why wait?? Go for it Girl!
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Log it as general circuit training, seems to be the closest burn estimate.

Stretch stretch stretch - double the length of hold for each stretching pose, I find JMs stretching is too short and this is a reason why many people are more sore than necessary the day after.