Loose skin from losing weight

Options
I have been fat, yes FAT, for years.

I was always a podgy child and then I lost weight when I was 15 to get to my ideal of 91/2 stone. Not long after I became pregnant!

Since then I have only ever lost enough to get to 11 stones. That was when I was 28 and I cannot remember loose skin being a problem then. Unfortunately I am approaching 41 and have to face up that being approx 4 stone over weight for the past 12 years has got to have taken its toll on my skin.

My tummy is the worst area. No surprise there eh? It has stretch marks from my pregnancy, and no doubt from the size it has been in all these years. The skin on it at the moment is fine and from my biggest I am 1 and half stone lighter. I am pretty amazed at this as by now I would have expected some skin to have started sagging.

I do do Kettlebells and I swim a lot so this will help tone certain areas as the weight comes off but my tummy is not going to be an easy area to resolve and skin is not something you can just tone. I have also started putting Palmers Cocoa Butter Firming Lotion on twice a day.

So what do you use to help with this loose skin? Any links to previous posts on this would be appreciated.

ETA - sorry if this is on the wrong board.

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Well I am the exception to the rule in many cases because I have lost so much weight there just is no way my skin around my midsection will ever go back to where it once was so I have skin surgery in my near future to fix what I can't. That being said I have saved myself multiple surgery in other areas by doing strength training throughout my journey. It has tightened up alot of areas (Arms, Legs except inner thighs, neck and even chest) so I am a firm believer in lifting to help with this problem.... Best of Luck...
  • wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Strength training, moisturizing your skin, keeping hydrated - those will all help minimize sag. Age, genetics, and chance are going to determine how well your efforts pay off.
  • RedVelvetCurls
    RedVelvetCurls Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Maybe investing in a skin-firming lotion. I always apply it after I work out, and it's also minimised my stretch marks.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Give it time and hopefully it will vanish. Don't give up.