how do you get your veggies?

Options
i'm tired of salads. i usually eat one a day so that i can get about 3 servings of veggies in. but there has to be another way! i LOVE spinach and always eat that with my dinner, and i eat baby carrots throughout the day to snack on, but i need more veggie variety. how do you guys get your veggies in everyday?

Replies

• Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    I'm slowly getting better with this Sasha. Feel free to look at my diary. :bigsmile:
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    In addition to my salads I will try to buy fresh veggies and try to make sure to include them every day. Hummus is a good dip for veggies. I like carrots, celery, broccoli (my fave veggie evah). I love cucumbers in vinegar water. avocados are awesome too, they go with everything! Salads, diced up & mixed with chicken, on sandwiches. Yum!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Stir fry- use your protein of choice and tons of vegetables.

Casseroles and one pot type dishes- for lunch today I am eating "noodleless lasagna" where zucchini slices replace the pasta and it is filled with other veg. One serving packs a lot of vegetables in.

Smoothies- chock them full of vegetables with a little fruit for sweetness.

A lot of times I do a protein with 2 veg side dishes for dinner (e.g. chicken, sweet potatoes, broccoli)

My diary is open but I have been traveling for work lately, so basically eating airport food and other not so great stuff. You may have to go back a week or two to see how I normally eat :bigsmile:
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I add a lot of vegetables into my dinners :) so if I have a curry I will add that in. Roasted veg is nice you can put a huge range of veg drizzle with some olive oil some seasoning its yummy I use courgettes, tomatoes, onions, asparagus anything I can find Homemade pizza with veg galore on.

Soups with veg mmm yummy lol could go on! :laugh:
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    red bell peppers are a nice snack if you get sick of carrots. They go well with humus or are good alone. You can always try making a smoothie for breakfast and including some of your veg there. A lot of times for dinner i'll just have tomato and cucumber slices with some feta sprinkled on top (along with my protien/carb). It doesn't take much to get a true "portion". I do a lot of curry/stir fry type of meals as well. You can also try eating soups with veg in them, like pumpkin soup.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I seriously dislike vegetables. But I've found that V8 isn't bad. You get used to it after awhile. You can start with the slightly fruity ones then move on to the vegetable juice. If you don't like it like that, then make a low sodium soup with vegetables. Perhaps like a minestrone soup or something. Those are the only 2 ways I can stand vegetables so far.
  • rockette7
    rockette7 Posts: 18
    Options
    Include them in everything. I always put some salad veg in pittas or wraps along with the main filling, then I eat them without really thinking about it.
    See what's on offer in your supermarket. Mine often has in-season stuff on offer, to buy so many types of veg for a reduced price. This makes me get a wider variety in and often means I try new things, and I get the challenge of working out what to eat these mysterious veggies with. I do the same thing with fruit.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    ahhhhh...this post makes me smile as most people who eat their "veggies" actually named off fruits!
    Don't forget, tomatoes, peppers, avacados, etc are all FRUITS! It they have self containing skin (not a pod), seeds on the inside that are generally not part of the food (avacado seeds, tomato seeds, pepper seeds), and grow on a vine they are FRUITS!!!!!

Veggies are things like spinach, carrots, beans, peas....
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I grill them, roast them, add them to scrambled eggs. Make salads with fruit and nuts, eat them dipped into peanut butter and then as a rare treat I just eat them raw :).

If you use braggs soy sauce (low sodium) when you stir fry it wakes up the veggies. If you use basil on your salad it gives it a nice flavor and makes it look like you are at a restaraunt. Try just mixing things up a bit, change up the types of lettuce you use and also work in different flavors.

My stir fry last night had asparagus, peppers, green beans, carrots and shrimp.. with walnuts and feta on top. You'd be surprised how good it was.. erm I was.

Just keep changing things up. Use seasonal fruits in salads to add special flavors. Stick with simple dressings so you can taste the veggies. I have to say after 9 months of eating salads, I still enjoy eating my garden salad on the days I have it.

Good luck!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I buy them at the grocery store.
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    LOVE the stir fry. Or, how about home-made soup? There's tons of great soup/stew recipes out there :)
  • steflbrown
    steflbrown Posts: 168
    Options
    I am big on raw veggies and healthy dips. Right now my go to is carrots and hummus. I love it! I have that with at least 1 meal a day.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I make huge batches of veggies on Sunday ...beets..sweet potatoes...broccoli...Brussel sprouts..etc...put them in baggies (1 serv per bag) and have them ready to go!!!! Having them prepped and ready to go is the key!! I eat lots of veggies this way! Also I put spinach in my smoothies (can't even taste it) and use spinach instead of lettuce...
  • rockette7
    rockette7 Posts: 18
    Options
    One more thought from me, have you anywhere you can grow some yourself?
    My boyfriend's parents have a massive vegetable garden and grow pretty much everything themselves. I always eat SO well when I stay with them, because all the veg is so fresh and full of flavour, and I like going out to basically pick my own dinner!
    Unfortunately, at home I live in a flat without even a window box, let alone a garden, but I'm going to have a bash at growing SOMETHING on my windowsills.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I chop up things like asparagus, spinach & artichoke and mix with egg, garlic and pepper, pour into muffin tins and top with a little parmesan cheese before baking for quick breakfasts.
    add half a cup of frozen chopped spinach to your smoothies (you hardly taste it!)
    I'm slightly obsessed with asparagus and eat it at least twice a week with dinner, I like it baked in the oven with a little olive oil (I use the spray can of it for a thin coating) with salt, pepper and whatever spices I'm feeling.
    soups are a great way to get veggies, sometimes I just buy a few bags of the pre-seasoned veggie blends from the grocery store and cook up one of those for my lunch, each one is about 2-3 servings and nearly all total under 250 calories. I'll add a protein like chicken or tuna to round out the meal :)

hope this helps!
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I've always enjoyed these veggies:

Carrots
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Spinach
    Cabbage

We have a roast dinner about twice a week which consists of roast meat (I like the fat trimmed off it we are having pork, lamb or beef), but we have roast chicken once a week, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, mashed potato, yorkshire pudding and roast potato. I tend to not have the latter two because yorkshire puddings tend to be high in sodium and carbs, the roast potatoes are higher in fat and I've already got carbs in the meal, so...

I've also had tomatoes used in pasta sauces, but I have started having them on sandwiches every so often along with cucumber. I've also taken a liking to asparagus, it's just the smell afterwards which is the only downfall lol.

I also have a stir fry every once in a while which has mushrooms, beansprouts, cabbage, bell peppers, carrots and I usually add broccoli to that.

I've only ever had salad like lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, etc twice in my life. It's alright, but it's not something I go for lol.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary. I include veggies with all my meals - including breakfast.

i.e. breakfast today was just a protein shake - chocolate protein powder, vanilla protein powder, cocoa powder, canned pumpkin (veggie #1), black beans, almond milk..... and I had some asparagus (veggie #2) left over from dinner yesterday.

2 servings of veggies Down! will have 2-4 more servings of veggies with lunch -- and 2-4more servings of veggies with dinner. it's that simple.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Low sodium V8 is good for 2 servings, we roast a lot of broccoli, asparagus and sauté Brussels sprouts. To roast, lay the asparagus or broccoli on a baking sheet covered with foil. Drizzle a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and lemon juice and sprinkle with onion powder, garlic powder and mrs. Dash or other herb based spices (beware the high sodium ones). Then bake on 400 for 10-15 min.
    Or, steam the Brussels sprouts for 5 min., cut in half, place 1-2 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan and add a little soy sauce, and the same spices as listed above and sauté until browned.

If you like fruit smoothies, I will take the broccoli stems, and others say spinach or kale will work, and blend them in and you won't even taste them over the fruit and yogurt.
  • edmercdeleted
    Options
    ahhhhh...this post makes me smile as most people who eat their "veggies" actually named off fruits!
    Don't forget, tomatoes, peppers, avacados, etc are all FRUITS! It they have self containing skin (not a pod), seeds on the inside that are generally not part of the food (avacado seeds, tomato seeds, pepper seeds), and grow on a vine they are FRUITS!!!!!

Yes,... but no.

You see, the term "vegetable" when used in the culinary sense (as is is being used in this discussion) is loosely defined and arbitrary at best.

You are correct that all of the mentioned "fruit" in your post are indeed fruit. That is botanically correct. Just as stating that spinach is a leaf, potatoes are tubers, carrots are roots, peas are legumes, mushrooms are fungi, is also true.

However, none of that keeps them from being defined as vegetables. It's the use that defines them as vegetables.

You would never ask for a Fruit Salad and expect to get a bowl of peppers, tomatoes, avocado. Not that it wouldn't be tasty (hmmm). It would be technically correct, but it would miss the intended mark.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Ed.
  • TranceGirl
    TranceGirl Posts: 121 Member
    Options

ahhhhhhhhh... beans are scientifically and botanically fruits because they come from fertilized flowers and contain seeds within the plants...

Please don't mock people, at least they're eating healthy!