High Cal, Low Sodium, Mod Carb, Low Dairy, Clean Diary?

Options
I generally take in 1800-2000+ calories on workout days, but I'm having problems keeping my macros where I want them. As I try to keep my macros in line I find myself falling short of my calorie goal on heavy workout days.

I'd like to eat moderate carbs, like 150-200g. Carbs make me kind of bloated, but I refuse to give them up completely.

As much as I love dairy I have to restrict it. I'm mildly lactose intolerant. Anything more than 2 servings a day, and I'm about ready to launch myself into outer space. LOL

I'd also like to start eating a bit cleaner than I already do. Right now, I probably eat abour 60% clean. I'd like to take that up to 70-80%.

I'm also on a sodium restricted diet for HBP. So I need to keep my sodium as far below 2000 as I can.

Does anyone have any tips as far as what to eat to keep my calories up? Anyone have any similar diaries I can take a look at? Thanks.

Replies

• mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • sid719e
    sid719e Posts: 47
    Options
    I have a morning "snack" that's 670 calories and only 80mg of sodium:

1 1/2 serving of plain oatmeal
    1/4 fuji apple
    1 whole banana
    1 scoop (26g) Designer Whey Protein Powder (unflavored) - this is where the sodium is
    1/4 cup of walnuts
    1 Tbsp of Psyllium Husk
  • debilyn574
    debilyn574 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't totally fit what you're looking for, but feel free to look at my diary. I don't know if it's considered high cal or mod carb, but it's def low dairy (just cut out the yogurt, which is a new addition for me), and it is relatively clean.
  • sr4ca
    sr4ca Posts: 43
    Options
    I have trouble getting my calories in because I am always trying to "not" go over on sugar or fat. So I know what you mean. I'd love to see your diary. Could you make it public?
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You can look at mine if you'd like to friend me. I'd be pretty low sodium if I wasn't addicted to japanese miso soup and rice crackers, but I don't think it would be hard to leave these out!

I'm not tracking carbs but I have notieced they're usually low. I'm tracking to increase fibre, calcium, and protein at this stage, and to decrease fat.

Oh and I dislike milk, so other than occasional yoghurt, and a tiny bit of cheese every now and then, I'm mostly dairy free.

I struggled to get my calories and macros anywhere near where I wanted them at first! The best tip seems to be to up the intake of good fats, from sources suach as oily fish, nuts, avocados and using good oils such as olive/walnut/sesame/lemon in salad dressings.

Will be interested to see the other replies..
  • butterfliespink
    Options
    My doctor has me on a high fiber, low fat, lactose free (or strictly limited lactose), low sodium diet. Here's an example of what I eat:
    Breakfast:
    Bolthouse farms smoothie (they have several different flavors and all are organically grown fruits/veggie and all natural ingreadients) 180 calories per serving (8 oz)
    Fiber one blueberry muffin-they have several different flavors you can bake! 160 calories
    Lunch/snack: one medium granny smith apple.
    3/4 cup of fiber one cereal (80 cal) dry or add soy milk (Silk Light) for an additional 60 calories
    one banana
    Dinner: chicken viola (I prefer the cheesey pasta kind but only eat it once in a blue moon!)
    snack: fiber one 90 calorie peanut butter bar
    163carbs 22g fat 1,508 sodium 30g fiber Calorie total:846. And you still have room for more snacking. Does this help any?
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I generally take in 1800-2000+ calories on workout days, but I'm having problems keeping my macros where I want them. As I try to keep my macros in line I find myself falling short of my calorie goal on heavy workout days.

I'd like to eat moderate carbs, like 150-200g. Carbs make me kind of bloated, but I refuse to give them up completely.

As much as I love dairy I have to restrict it. I'm mildly lactose intolerant. Anything more than 2 servings a day, and I'm about ready to launch myself into outer space. LOL

I'd also like to start eating a bit cleaner than I already do. Right now, I probably eat abour 60% clean. I'd like to take that up to 70-80%.

I'm also on a sodium restricted diet for HBP. So I need to keep my sodium as far below 2000 as I can.

Does anyone have any tips as far as what to eat to keep my calories up? Anyone have any similar diaries I can take a look at? Thanks.

My diary should be open, if you want to take a look. My carbs are lower than yours, but I'm also a bit lactose intolerant (but it's mainly milk that gives me issues). I don't worry about sodium (not to say I consume huge amounts of it, but I'm not consciously restricting mine - but I changed my diary to track it so you can see), but with a cleaner, more natural diet (little processed foods or grains for me, except I have a weakness for corn/tortilla chips!), it's naturally lower in sodium as well.

So to break it down - no dairy, low sodium, no more carbs (I'm assuming you're already at your 150-200 goal?), but more calories - that leaves more fat & more protein you can add, and non-starchy veggies (but they wont add much calories, unless you add fat, too). Unsalted nuts/seeds come to mind, avocados, and protein sources (whatever you like here).
  • mrsdizzyd84
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.

Ok, so here is my question, how much fat is too much fat, and should I be concerned if I end up over on cholesterol as a result of the extra meat I'm taking in.

Also, I have my macros set at 40/30/30 C/F/P. Should I reevaluate this? I'm over on fat and under on protein pretty frequently.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    Options
    Anyone?

I'd love some advice on what to do about being over on fat and cholesterol most days. Thanks.