considering buying a treadmill

Options
Anyone esle thinking of buying one? Or have one and love it/hate it?

I dont really have money to waste so buying this will be an investment i just want peoples honest opinions?

I dont like walking outdoors on my own...fear of dogs...and it is the start of winter here so cant see myself walking in the rain.

=]

Replies

• tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Have one.

Pros

Hugely convenient.
    Weather becomes meaningless.

Cons

Bulky if you get a decent one (mine has to live in the garage), and can be quite pricey depending on what you want (mine was about £1500 / $2400, but I think entry level for automatic with incline is quite reasonable).
    Gets a bit boring staring at one wall all the time.
    The ability to stop whenever you feel like it can be a bit dangerous, so if you don't have much determination be wary.
    You have to take care of it (but not that often) - lubricate belt, etc.

I know the con list is longer than the pro list, but I still wouldn't be without it - I am not an outdoor person, so if I just want a run it's saving me from going to the gym (and if I'm lazy and just want a walk, I usually attach iPad and read a book / watch a movie at the same time).
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have one and I can say it was a good investment. I use it in winter since I am in Canada :) That being said, it has to be there in your face or it will end up being a very expensive cloths hanger. Mine is in my living room.

I have to say that running outside is a 1000 time less deadfull
  • Des0528
    Des0528 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If it were me, from what I see on other MFP pals' profiles, I would consider buying an elliptical machine instead. Not really sure of the price difference but the elliptical seems to do wonders and burns crazy calories!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Don't go cheap...
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    If it were me, from what I see on other MFP pals' profiles, I would consider buying an elliptical machine instead. Not really sure of the price difference but the elliptical seems to do wonders and burns crazy calories!

They can both do either/or. It depends how you use it/what you want it for.

Personally, my gym membership is cheaper than a treddy but I WOULD probs buy one if it wasn't.

I honestly think the elliptical is the boringest machine ever made haha. I LOVE the treadmill though :)

*just my opinion. now wait for the haters
  • greeneyes191
    greeneyes191 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Pros - You can exercise anytime
    You can wear whatever you want
    You can start, stop, adjust your program
    You have no excuses as to why you can't get to the gym

Cons - It is an expense

I would suggest going to merchants that sell exercise equipment and try them out. Spend some quality time deciding what it is you want the piece of equipment to accomplish for you. Find out what type of exercise you are comfortable doing and that you can alter to stave off the boredom of just walking or running.
    I would also suggest spending a week or so at a gym trying out different equipment. Talk to the trainers.

Buy quality - don't go cheap. Once you know what you want, check out the pricing on the internet. Go to the manufacturer.
  • inmyownskin
    Options
    I have one and it has had its good times and bad times... I finally set it up in my basement and cleared myself a little space that I call my "indoor gym". I can proudly say I use it regularly now! I bought a high-end one at a really good sale and saved about $400! I agree when people say dont cheap out. Also take good care of it. I recommend it for sure as I know I use it way more than I could convince myself to go to the gym! And it has many different settings that keep me motivated!
    So basically if you know you would use it more then trying to walk/run outside I say go for it!