Injured rib and running

Options
heya

Injured my rib last Saturday- been taking it easy but it still is mighty uncomfortable when I run. Its not broken or cracked - just seems to be bruised and potentially a strained lat.

Currently I am on ibuprofen, icy hot patches, lots of stretching and I apply heat to it every night.

I have a 10k coming up this Sunday - any advice on mitigating the pain (i.e. tape it, etc)? or just suck it up after downing a handful of percocet? :)

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    tape may help. Have you tried to run yet?

I potentially injured mine last winter. I fell down the stairs and per the dr either injured (maybe broke) a rib, bruised my kidney or something else I can't remember. Whatever it was, their wasn't anything they really could do about it. I still ran. The pain wasn't too bad actually
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I somersaulted off my bike a few weeks ago and bruised (I think) my ribs. Coughing hurts, and I keep working out and running, although it seems to slow down or even block the recovery process, but I can't get myself to stop exercising.

I've read that tape can hinder breathing and increase the risk for pneumonia. I would give advice that I am not taking myself: to take it easy. Bruised ribs can take a long time to heal.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Bruised my ribs in a dirt bike crash. Everything I did hurt. You can try wrapping them for support and ibuprofin for pain/inflammation. Not much you can do with the jarring though as you'll still feel some pain. I broke my wrist this past summer in a mountain bike accident. I ran but it hurt. The jarring. Wrapped it tight as I could tolerate in my wrist brace and sucked it up.