How do you know what your TDEE is?

Options
Am I right in thinking your TDEE is the amount of calories your body needs and will burn purely to exist. Like say I ate 1200 calories a day... my body would burn 1200 just by being alive?

How do I work out what that is?

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Am I right in thinking your TDEE is the amount of calories your body needs and will burn purely to exist. Like say I ate 1200 calories a day... my body would burn 1200 just by being alive?

How do I work out what that is?

No, your BMR are the calories you burn existing,
    your TDEE is your Total daily Energy Expenditure, which includes your daily activity and exercise.

Have a look here - http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

This will give you the TDEE of your goal weight, so if you want to work out your Current estimated TDEE just pop your current weight in as your goal weight.
  • mrs_kurz
    mrs_kurz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    that says I should be eating at LEAST 1698 a day, assuming i do NO exercise, is that to maintain? so to lose weight i need to net at 1198 a day?
  • ladyraven68
    Options
    that says I should be eating at LEAST 1698 a day, assuming i do NO exercise, is that to maintain? so to lose weight i need to net at 1198 a day?

was that with current weight, or goal weight?
  • mrs_kurz
    mrs_kurz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    That was with current weight assuming i'm sedentary, but at the moment I'm doing the 30DS so i'm fairly active!
  • TranceGirl
    TranceGirl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Most people are eating less than their BMR I'm learning. I had mine measured by breathing into a mask that measured my CO2 output and such and I found out my BMR is 1796 which is about 200 higher than what the link gave me. I noticed, when I put it my % body fat and 10% higher it still gave me the same BMR which I don't think can be right..

I'm supposed to be eating 2130 calories by working out 3 days a week and when I do, I lose about a pound a week. I've been bad recently and eating closer to 2500 and im noticing the scale creeping up :(
  • ladyraven68
    Options
    That was with current weight assuming i'm sedentary, but at the moment I'm doing the 30DS so i'm fairly active!

Putting in yr goal weight , you would just eat the amount at the relevent activity level, it's getting you used to eating like the thinner person you are going to become.

A similar principle to Heybales's eating for the future you method - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/471769-an-easier-way-to-setup-goal-calories-eating-for-who-you-wi

if you are using your current weight, chose the right activity level and then just deduct your deficit of 15-20%