How much cardio v. weight lifting do you do?

Options
Heavier emphasis on either one for different goals I assume.

What about for weight loss?

Replies

• TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Yep, depends on the goals.
    Mine = Need to put on about 20lbs.
    So I do four days of weight training, three of cardio.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    3 days lifting, 2-3 days running per week.
  • roodledoodle
    Options
    interesting question. Bump
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    3 days of lifting and cardio is every day but the intensity varies...I may only take a 30 minute walk or I may do a 90 minute run or spend the entire afternoon on a bike ride.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Typically, 2 maybe 3 days of lifting, 3 days of running, 1-2 days of rest.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    lift 3 days a week
    cardio which is walking, jogging, zumba and swim 3 days a week
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    5 days lifting and 3 days of cardio.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    all weights, no cardio. well, except for walking. i have a knee injury (BUT ITS GETTING BETTER) so weights it is! and its making me CUT! :D
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Typically, 2 maybe 3 days of lifting, 3 days of running, 1-2 days of rest.

THIS.... one day of running might go up to an hour and 20/30 minutes - normal runs 30-50 mins...
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose weight and tone up at the same time, so my weight loss is slow and steady. I lift 3 days, cardio 2-3 days, and rest 1-2 days per week. Seems to be working very well so far.

16774070.png
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I probably do 95 / 5 cardio vs weight lifting.

But it's closer to a 70 / 30 split for cardio vs strength. I have dumbells that I use a few times a week, but most of my strength training is body weight rather than lifting.
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    4 days strength training with 2 days cardio. My cardio is not usually steady state.
  • DocGu
    DocGu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It really does depend on the time of year. Right now I am doing 3 days lifting and 2-3 days of running. Fall and early Winter is Marathon season for me so in late summer I start gearing up more for cardio. I traditionally did one marathon a year in early January (which serves as a great way to keep up exercise during other times of the year; nothing motivates me to get up off the couch then the knowledge that I have to keep a decent amount of fitness before marathon training begins in ernest). Last year I did two marathons, one in October and one in January. It was nice and I plan on doing it again this year.

My big problem is in the winter between January and April - lazy, lazy, lazy; fat, fat, fat. I am proud of myself, this year I caught myself before I usually do and am in better shape now then I usually am at this time.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights 3 days per week (full body workouts), cardio 5 to 6 days per week. Always lift before doing cardio.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    3 days of lifting with a bit of cardio and 3 days of nothing but cardio.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I alternate cardio and weights every day, 5 or 6 days a week, goal is weight loss.

This routine vs straight cardio is a lot slower progress I've noticed. But I'm definitely keeping some strength.

Almost where I wanna be come summer. I'm about a month behind I figure.

Gotta eat a lot cleaner too.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Three days of running, 2 days of strength, 1 day of vinyasa yoga and 1 day of rest. I am currently training for a half marathon in two weeks. When that's over, I plan to scale back the cardio and up the strength for a while.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights 3 days per week (full body workouts), cardio 5 to 6 days per week. Always lift before doing cardio.

Ditto!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I do two days of lifting and cardio almost every day. My primary goal is endurance. I'm working on building up for a month-long hike which will require me to cover (on average) about 17 miles a day, carrying about a 30-35 pound pack.

I was going to go this spring, but some personal stuff came up and now I have to wait until fall or spring 2013.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I do three to four days of cardio, and then 2-4 days of weights/calisthenics.