Indian takeaway - chicken tikka (dry)

Options
Hi all,

So i am trying to log a main course of chicken tikka (dry) from the indian takeaway but there are so many varying values on here.

Does anyone have this and if so what values do you log it as? thank you! xxx

Replies

• Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Bump..anyone? :)
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I don't really know, but I would pick an option that has included most info (protein,fat etc) and somewhere in the middle of all the calories. Sometimes you can get a feel for what the calorie range is just from previous experience.
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    hi have you had that dish before? is it quite greasy/ a lot of sauce? if so then more cals perhaps if its mostly chicken go for the lower side and more protein values.
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    No grease or sauce...it is dry and grilled. I think i will leave until treat meal as i dont want to guess too low/high xxx
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Chicken tikka (not tikka masala) is one of the best options for Indian food you can get. It depends on how much you eat of course, but four pieces (two thighs and two breast pieces) are probably not more than 400-450 calories. It's a great meal, I eat this a lot when I eat Indian.
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    its probably similar to the pre packed ones from supermarkets? so try comparing the values for those to the others you find on here?
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Chicken tikka (not tikka masala) is one of the best options for Indian food you can get. It depends on how much you eat of course, but four pieces (two thighs and two breast pieces) are probably not more than 400-450 calories. It's a great meal, I eat this a lot when I eat Indian.

Is that a starter portion hun? the main course from my indian is prob about 15-20 pieces of smaller chicken xxx
  • secretlobster
    Options

Is that a starter portion hun? the main course from my indian is prob about 15-20 pieces of smaller chicken xxx

No, I'm talking about chicken left on the bone (one full chicken having eight pieces... two wings, two thighs, two breast halves, two legs). Do you mean cubed chicken pieces?
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options

No, I'm talking about chicken left on the bone (one full chicken having eight pieces... two wings, two thighs, two breast halves, two legs). Do you mean cubed chicken pieces?

Oh sorry hun yeh its in individual pieces off of the bone from our takeaway :) xxx
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Traditional chicken tikka is cooked in a heavy cream/butter sauce that has a lot of calories. What you are talking about sounds like it is chicken tandoori. (is it cooked in a claypot and red in colour?). I cook a lot of Indian food and chicken tikka usually has about 800 calories/serving. (I calculate a serving as about half a cup).
    Hope that helps
  • magsue
    magsue Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    YUM getting hungry now note to self.....how many calories can i afford.....
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Traditional chicken tikka is cooked in a heavy cream/butter sauce that has a lot of calories. What you are talking about sounds like it is chicken tandoori. (is it cooked in a claypot and red in colour?). I cook a lot of Indian food and chicken tikka usually has about 800 calories/serving. (I calculate a serving as about half a cup).
    Hope that helps

That's chicken tikka MASALA you're talking about. Just "chicken tikka" is chicken marinated in yogurt sauce and grilled in the tandoor. Not the same as tandoori chicken, but similar.
  • xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    INDIAN TAKEAWAY

Worst choice: Chicken korma and pilau rice

1,100 calories, 60g fat

An average portion of an Indian takeaway contains 3.2g more saturated fat than a woman should eat in a whole day, according to Which? With its generous content of cream and coconut you can expect a chicken korma to beat even this high level of cholesterol-raising saturates.

Add naan bread and poppadoms and it could easily reach 1,300-1,400 calories. Other cream-laden types to avoid are pasanda and tikka masala.

Better choice: Chicken biryani

730 calories, 24g fat

Biryani has rice included so you don’t need to order rice as a side dish. Go easy on the separate pot of sauce and ask for it without the fried egg or omelette on top.

Others in the moderate-calorie category include lamb rogan josh and prawn or chicken jalfrezi.

Best choice: Tandoori chicken with half a naan or half portion of boiled rice

380 calories, 10g fat

The healthiest Indian dish is a sauce-free one such as tandoori chicken or chicken tikka. Alternatively have any starter you like and bulk out with salad, dhal and a couple of poppadoms. A non-creamy vegetable curry can be a good bet too.

Top tips

Choose just one accompanying carbohydrate; rice or naan for example, not both. Eat only half a portion if they are huge.

If you’re anaemic opt for a balti (but skim the excess fat off the top). The pots they are cooked in add extra iron to your meal.

Avoid Indian food in unnatural hues of red or yellow as it’s bound to have artificial colours in levels higher than would be allowed in supermarket food.

Leave some of the sauce behind. It contains the meal’s highest fat and calories.