Why are weekends SO hard?!

Options
Hey guys,

I have been doing MFP for a week and I have lost 7lbs, which I am really pleased with, but I am finding weekends really hard to do.

Me and my hubby are invited out for drinks and dinner out and I am finding it really hard to stick too. Can you please give me some advice as to what eat and where? I have dicovered that a gin and slimline tonic is only 56 kal so I am drinking them when I am out.

Any advice or words of support would be great x :smile:

Replies

• mobilmomma
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I have been on this for 2 weeks and have lost 12 lbs. Yesterday we went to a barbcue and I definitely overdid the beer, and feeling guilty today. I see it this way, we do good 5 days out of the week. We are still a head of the game. Good Luck. Cheryl
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    wow! you guys are losing fast! im jealous :tongue:
    keep up the great work! and you know, a good cardio session before you go out later on is a great way to up your daily caloric intake real fast, making a couple beers not such a big deal :)
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I have the same problem. My friends usually go out for dinner or drinks (or both) once a week or so. I give myself one "cheat" day a week...I usually save it for going out with friends. I find that giving myself one day to indulge a little helps keep me on track...that way I don't crave bad foods as much and I really look forward to that day.

Here's what I do to help not make that "cheat" day a total disaster:
    -I try and always workout before I go out. If I've just worked hard exercising, I don't feel as bad splurging on food/drinks a little. Also, exercising helps to keep your metabolism up!
    -Also, I don't blow the whole day. For example, if I'm going out for dinner and drinks, I make sure I eat healthy for the rest of the day prior to going out. That way only one meal as been high cal, not the whole day!

I look at it this way...I am trying so hard to get fit and lose weight, and I'm about half-way there! I want to live a healthy lifestyle...but not one that is super restricted. You have to remember to enjoy life! Eat healthy and workout most of the time - so that you can indulge once in awhile! Just remember to get back on track the next day! It's all about balance! :smile:

Hope this helps!!!

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I have been doing MFP for a week and I have lost 7lbs, which I am really pleased with, but I am finding weekends really hard to do.

Me and my hubby are invited out for drinks and dinner out and I am finding it really hard to stick too. Can you please give me some advice as to what eat and where? I have dicovered that a gin and slimline tonic is only 56 kal so I am drinking them when I am out.

Any advice or words of support would be great x :smile:

when going out for drinks get vodka and water- 0 calories or get sugar free redbull or rockstar and have that with vodka-
  • lisam829
    lisam829 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I completely understand! I am so good during the week, but this weekend I had a BBQ yesterday for birthdays and REALLY overdid it (cheesy mashed potatos did me in) and then out to a club later, and while I didn't drink at all we always stop for food afterwards and Steak N Shake cheesy fries was my prize for not drinking/smoking. Then today was a BBQ for Fathers day and no mashed potatos but key lime pie was my downfall. especially with my mother pushing it on me. I think its because I have no schedule on the weekends like I do during the week.
  • Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    Options
    I have been struggling with this as well. I think that in my case, I tend to think of weekends as my time off for good behavior during the week. The only problem with that is that I can undo my weekly progress in one weekend if I'm not careful. One thing to combat weekend binges (so to speak) I have found is to set your weigh in for someday other than friday. I found that when I weighed in on friday, I could more easily give myself permission to eat poorly on the weekend. My current weigh day is Wednesday and on that day, I allow myself to eat whatever I want within my calorie range. I don't feel deprived this way and other than recent badness, I have done ok.
  • keppick
    keppick Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss so far!

Weekends are tricky for me because I am out of the weekday routine and eating out doesn't help.

First, enjoy your alcohol... sounds like you've found a good compromise on that.

Second, always order something you can take home and nuke for another meal. Most restaurants serve enough for two or three meals. It seems counter-intuitive but I DON'T order salads. Salads tend to wilt quickly if you take them home so I prefer to clean my plate when I order them (which defeats the purpose). So get your favorite pasta dish (not the one with a cream sauce but the one with a tomato based sauce) and put at least half of it into a box IMMEDIATELY! The server may think it's weird to want a box before you start eating but they'll get over it if they want a good tip. That guarantees you save part of your meal.

Also watch the bread, chips, or what ever they give you for free to start the meal.

Finally, make your indulgences count (I don't like to call it "cheating")! I can EASILY pass up white cake in the teacher's lounge because... it's vanilla... what's the point. If I'm going to eat some serious calories it better have some serious chocolate wrapped around it! Enjoy your little bit of indulgence and then get back to work!