bad knees.. arthritis and knee replacement..

Options
ok.. so yesterday the doctor told me to suck it up and deal with the constant pain. because my knees are in almost bone on bone.. there is little they can or will do. so.. questions are.. one option given to me would be to get three injections of some sort of jell. i know that they cortazone hurt like heck.. and didn't work for more than a week.. so any experiances with the jell injections would be great... Also, the next step is to replace both knees.. YIPES. is there anyone here that has had that done and how were the results? how long was recover time? i have worked too hard to get to where i am and don't want to lose any ground.

Replies

• Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Ok I know you are not elderly but I work with the elderly and so that is my experience with knee replacement. After the recovery the people are very pleased with it - they feel no pain. One lady I take care of gets the shots of gel and they don't work for her - her bones creak and her legs are terrible - most mornings I use a wheelchair for her when I take her to dress (we aren't supposed to - because of getting her to exercise) because they hurt so bad and I can't mentally allow someone to be in that much pain.

I think the recovery time is a good month at least if not longer. With PT.
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Never had it and have only known one person who has. From what I've read online, its 2-10 days in hospital. It then takes between 3 - 12 weeks (usually about 6) to be able to to walk without crutches / a walking aid. Its 3-6 months to be able to feel normal, with the knee continuing to heal over 2 years.

Some other data (from NHS UK website)

When can I drive again?
    You can resume driving when you can bend your knee enough to get in and out of a car and control the car properly. This is usually around four to six weeks after your surgery, but check with your physiotherapist or doctor whether it is safe for you to drive.

When can I go back to work?
    This depends on your job, but you can usually return to work 6-12 weeks after your operation.

When can I do housework?
    For the first three months, you should be able to manage light chores, such as dusting and washing up. Avoid heavy household tasks such as vacuuming and changing the beds. Do not stand for long periods as this may cause ankle swelling and avoid stretching up or bending down for the first six weeks.

This (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/knee-hip-problems/) website may provide further information for you (forum concerning TKR)
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    Thanks Tim.. i don't like your numbers! i unfortuatly have to work and drive so i have no idea when i would be able to get surgery. after my last knee surgery i returned to work two days later (not suggested) and drove there to boot. i don't have a choice. i can't image being laid up for even a day let alone weeks to months! i think i might try the jell and see how that goes.. and maybe look into some suppliments.. ugh..
  • nanapapaof5
    nanapapaof5 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have had both my knees replaced and I'm so happy I did. I would be glad to answer any question you have.Good luck.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Yeah the prospect of knee surgery definitely keeps me from doing it. I don't have arthritis, but my knees are very unstable and my kneecaps pop out. Because I'm "only 28" no one wants to do surgery on me anyway, ha. But I don't want it either.

I'm in a 6 month clinical study for Synvisc-One, which is currently used for osteoarthritis, but they're testing it in people who DON'T have arthritis yet to see if it works to help strengthen prior to further degeneration of the joints (they did tests and x-rays and everything to make sure I don't actually have arthritis in order to qualify). It's a blind study, so I may have been given a placebo, and I may be getting better on my own (due to really working on strengthening my knees), but I definitely feel strength and stability coming back in my right knee, where I had the injection 2.5 months ago, and the strength tests are showing just that as well.

The injection didn't hurt at all - just felt a bit uncomfortable for a couple days. Could be worth a shot (pun intended :wink: ). As I'm always saying, I'm desperate for something that will help, so I'll pretty much try anything these days.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've had both knees replaced. One Sept. '11 and the second one at the end of this past Feb. Am still doing therapy. If you have any questions, please message me, I'd be glad to tell you what I've experienced. Keep in mind, everyone who has this done has their own recovery experience. Mine has been a little longer due to my waiting way too long to have it done. The first one healed quickly but I was using a walker due to the other knee being so bad. Now, with the second one done, I have to build up the muscles in BOTH legs.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    My x's momuse to do a lot of cycling and ended up having to get a replacement. Shes now more active then most people her age...but she is definately not where she was. Still in great shape though. Shes had it less then a year
  • Bighank7752
    Options
    I had both knees replaced last summer. Although it is not a fun experience, the results are great. It takes a great deal of work but you can do it. My brother in law just had his second and he is excited to be able to hike the mountains again.

I am more active than I have been in 20 years. Research it and understand the work required. Then go for it.
  • LisaManySongs
    Options
    Hi I've had one knee replacement (rt) and need the other one done. It's already bone on bone. I've also had the synvisc inj. twice in my lf. knee with good results. It lasted me 6+ months each time.
    It took me about 3 months and 7 wks of physical therapy after the replacement and it was totally worth it, I have no problem with the knee now and really no limitations.
    My other knee is okay for now. I can do just about everything. Only thing I really avoid exercise wise is lunges and anything that requires jumping.
    If you have any questions feel free to ask.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    As a nurse who works rehab, I will be very frank with you. Because of your age, I would try the Gell injections first. It is 3 injections, expensive, but I have seen fairly nice results with it. Don't get cortizone injections. The steroid just tears your knee up even worse.

If you have to get the replacement done, do your homework. Interview multiple Dr.'s. Know their infection rate. If you have to go to rehab hospitals and ask the nurses which dr they would take their loved ones too. We as nurses pretty much know which drs we would let touch us and which one's we'd rather pass on. Get online, do your homework about the prostesis. Their are multiple prostesis out their. Find out how many of their products have been recalled. You don't want to use a company who has multiple recalls under their belt. Same as surgeons, find out which ones have high infection rate. You want to find the ones who have low infection rate. Also, if you go to a surgeon, and they don't offer the gel injection first, run, don't walk out. Any surgeon that is willing to cut first and ask questions later is in no way concerned about your well being.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Interested to hear the replies. I have the same issue in one knee, but since I'm 31 they don't want to replace my knee yet.
  • jtsmith34
    jtsmith34 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've never had knee replacement, but I've had reconstructive knee surgery to repair a few torn ligaments and to take out torn cartilage, I wasn't allowed to run on it for 6 months. I was 16 at the time and my doctor told me that I would have to have knee replacement in the future because so much of my cartilage was damaged. After 10 years it's still holding up well, I do have pain off and on, but it's managable. Definitely not looking forward to the day that I have to get it replaced. Good luck to you in whatever you decide.
  • lururu
    lururu Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have just been told that my left knee is in very bad shape and needs to be replaced and I too am trying to find other options. I have two kids under 5 so can't afford the recovery time for a TKR. But the knee is causing more problems in my right hip and knee which are also affected so really feel stuck at the moment :(

I had a steroid injection in my right hip (also needs replaced) some years ago which helped a little but the best thing I have ever done is bathe in the sulphur springs in St Lucia in the Caribbean :P Shame I can't live there really :D
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    ok.. so yesterday the doctor told me to suck it up and deal with the constant pain. because my knees are in almost bone on bone.. there is little they can or will do. so.. questions are.. one option given to me would be to get three injections of some sort of jell. i know that they cortazone hurt like heck.. and didn't work for more than a week.. so any experiances with the jell injections would be great... Also, the next step is to replace both knees.. YIPES. is there anyone here that has had that done and how were the results? how long was recover time? i have worked too hard to get to where i am and don't want to lose any ground.

The synvisc they are talking about doesn't work anything like cortisone. Synvisc replaces the cushioning liquid that used to be in your joint and isn't now, and it may provide relief--maybe for as much as six months. In the end, you're gonna need knee replacement at some point. Remember, the life of a replacement joint isn't forever. More like 20 years--give or take. I have a friend who waited as long as he could to do the replacement so he was reasonably sure he wouldn't wear out the replacements. If you're much younger, you might do it sooner, knowing you might need to replace them again but getting the relief now. How he put off surgery, and how, post surgery he prolongs the life of the new knees, is he changed his workout routine. He was a long distance runner from childhood. His doctor told him he'd have to quit running if he wanted to continue to be able to walk. Now he rides a recumbent bicycle, swims and rows a kayak (we live on the MIssissippi), none of which are hard on his knees.

In the end, any doctor who tells you to "suck it up" and "deal with" severe pain you need to dump. Under-treatment of pain is a major cause of debilitating chronic pain and pain has consequences for your health aside from being uncomfortable.
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options

I hear ya! My knees aren't as bad, I have some cushioning but have also started having pain since late winter. My doctor told me "no more running unless it's away from a dangerous animal". This pain started AFTER I'd lost 45lbs. The pain so far is intermittant.

I picked up a book on recommendation from a dietician. It is "The Inflammation Syndrome" by Jack Challem. Although I haven't tried all of the supplements recommended, I'm on Day 3 of no refined sugar - none, zip and my knees have less pain and more range of motion than they have in weeks. My suspicion is that refined sugar is 80% of the problem for most beginning arthritis sufferers.

-Debra
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    thanks everyone for the advice and the friend adds.. i think i will be trying the jell injections and looking into suppliments. I still wont give up my zumba.. but i will have to continue to modify the dances (i don't do any jumpy things)

i will be looking into a new doctor for the knee replacements.. i don't totally trust the ones around here to do that successfully.

thanks again, and feel free to add me as a friend.. (even though you might here me whine from time to time!)
  • El_guapo22
    El_guapo22 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    This past summer I had two knee surgeries. ACL PCL reconstruction for one and PLC reconstruction for the other. Same knee.

It was a pretty long process. 3 months on crutches etc.
    But one site I found that had some great information before I went into surgery was www.kneeguru.co.uk.
    there is a lot of information and some forums to hear from ppl who went through the process before dealing with all areas of knee problems.

Just a thought. Good luck
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    My Mother in law has had both hips replaced and is happier than she has been in years she is only 60 and 6 ft tall. she did say between both that after her first surgery strength training made life a whole lot easier for recovery time on the second surgery. Hope this helps i know it's different joints and all but it's my only experience with this :flowerforyou:
  • janecl
    janecl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yes, I just had my knees replaced Dec., 2011 3 days apart. They were bone on bone. The dr had said we could try the injections but he didn't think it'd help so I said no to the needles. Synvisc is the gel they are talking about and you have to have some cartilage left in order to try that and I didn't so didn't try it.
    I had one done on a Friday and the second on Monday. I am so glad I did. I am 57 and have been overweight all my life. I lost 56 lbs before surgery and have maintained but am trying to continue. I went home on Thursday. They really controlled my pain well. And for me the night of the first surgery, they had me stand and said my leg would be a noodle and it was but when I put a little weight down, the arthritis pain was gone. It was amazing. The next morning I had to transfer from the bed to chair. I didn't have the pain. What I felt was that my muscle above my knee did not want to work and was so stiff so you have to push through it. Since I had the previous pain before, this wasn't as bad for me but difficult and I had to push through it. When they walked me I was stiff the first couple of steps and it's awesome to walk now. I have walked 1/2 one night and 3/4 night another. It's not because of my knees, they are awesome, I'm out of shape. If you have knee replacements, the key is is to do exactly what the doctor and therapists tell you and it will be great. I had an amazing doctor who where they do it have a class I went to because of my concern for pain control and anesthesia. Both concerns were covered and everything was just as they said it would be. They have improved it so much since my mother had hers done in 1984 and 1985.
    Good luck with whatever you do! You CAN do it! The doctor told me if I wasn't scared (which I told him I was of the unknown), he'd think there's something wrong with me.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    (if they work) gel injections would be temporary relief. If you are bone on bone, knee replacement is the only thing that will solve the problem - it will only get worse. Your movement will get more and more painful and limited. I watched both my aunt and mom go through this. They were afraid of the surgery, the cost, the recovery etc, so they waited until they couldn't put it off any longer. What happened (to them, not saying for sure this would happen to you) but their muscles and joints had to compensate for the knee being bone on bone for so long. So when they got the replacement, they had to retrain their muscles to what 'normal' is supposed to look like. It was expecially difficult for them because they waited so long.

If I was in your shoes, I would talk to physical therapists who work with people post OP and see what they tell you as far as recovery time, and what you can do now to improve your recovery.