Doing Insanity, need to increase calories...help!

Options
I am on day 4 of doing the Insanity workout and am realizing that I am way under for intaking calories. Not only is not eating enough calories to support this workout already making me tired during the day, but I firmly believe that not giving myself proper nutrition will result in not getting the results I want from the program. I currently eat around 1200 calories/day - and sometimes eating that much is a struggle. And I've heard people say that for Insanity you need more like 1800. I am the definition of a self-supporting broke student (the Insanity DVD's are borrowed from my sister lol) so please don't recommend I get some super expensive shake or supplement. What are good foods I can use to boost my calories and that won't break the bank? Thanks!

Replies

• michelleherinckx
    Options
    i'm bumping myself lol
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am making my own smoothie for breakfast or after workout of coconut milk, powdered or regular peanut butter and shelled hemp seeds. Shelled hemp seed are the perfection protein and have many other health benefits. They will give you amazing energy to carry you through this hard workout. I am on week 7 of Insanity and it works well for me. If you can't afford this I would try upping your protein intake. Even peanut butter on a spoon or bread would be a good boost. Or peanut butter, banana and some kind of milk shake made at home. Good luck. Feel free to message me with questions.
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I second that.

Peanut butter, or indeed almost any nut is great for extra protein, and all full of natural goodness.

A banana makes a good snack, boom there's 100 calories straight off.

Have fruit throughout the day. Buy it from a market where it's the cheapest you can get it.

1200 is definitely too low, you will be fatigued very quickly.
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I would eat high calorie snacks, like almonds, yogurt, cheese, avocado, peanut butter, etc. This way you're still eating roughly the same, but yet you're getting better calories. For that workout, I would suggest eating at your maintenance BMR rate so that your exercise is creating the deficit. This would still allow for you to loose weight.
  • anorton45
    anorton45 Posts: 62
    Options
    you should borrow the nutrition guide that came with the dvd's. if she doesn't have, message me and send me your email address... I scanned it in and have it in a pdf format. If you follow that eating plan, you will be able to get your calories in and in a healthy way.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a protein bar every day (I am really into the Luna ones now.. they also have a good bit of calcium. Favorite flavor is lemon zest). Trail mix is also a good option... I get mine from Trader Joe's. They may seem a little pricey, but a serving size is only 1/4 cup, so the bag lasts quite awhile. My favorite right now is the Sweet and Savory Trail Mix. Guacamole/avocado is another healthy way to get your calorie count up.. I also incorporate cheese and yogurt into my diet, again for added calories and calcium :)
  • YarnAndWhiskey
    YarnAndWhiskey Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Beans & brown rice. I cook up a double batch of rice and have it in the fridge and then add half of a rinsed can of beans to about a half a cup of rice and thrown in veggies that I'm in the mood for. It's complete protein, not overly fatty, and super versatile. If you have cooked greens of some sort (spinach, chard, kale, collards, etc..) in the fridge too these make a great addition. And you have enough for 3-4 meals for under $5.
  • matakamala
    Options
    well, for my breakfast i ate a smoothie consisting of 9 bananas and a cup or more of frozen strawberries and that was 1,141 calories just for my breakfast and i do the same for lunch and a salad... i stay away from excess fat as much as possible ... obviously you dont have to do so much but those are some ideas for you ... hope it works for you ...
  • teamfit2day
    teamfit2day Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am on day 4 of doing the Insanity workout and am realizing that I am way under for intaking calories. Not only is not eating enough calories to support this workout already making me tired during the day, but I firmly believe that not giving myself proper nutrition will result in not getting the results I want from the program. I currently eat around 1200 calories/day - and sometimes eating that much is a struggle. And I've heard people say that for Insanity you need more like 1800. I am the definition of a self-supporting broke student (the Insanity DVD's are borrowed from my sister lol) so please don't recommend I get some super expensive shake or supplement. What are good foods I can use to boost my calories and that won't break the bank? Thanks!

Being a college student I know its tough when it comes to money and food, but is there any way you can eat more of what you currently do eat? Instead of buying "new" foods, just eat more chicken, or more fruits, etc. Would that work for your situation?
  • michelleherinckx
    Options
    I can definitely incease my portion sizes on my chicken, egg whites, etc. That would help :) I also am going to the store today to see about just adding 2 snacks to my day of 1) cottage cheese, mixed bag of frozen fruit, and granola and 2) whole wheat english muffin, almond butter, and bananas. Hopefully these will help boost my calories and they are healthy and not super pricey. Thanks guys :)
  • ctraill
    ctraill Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    What about oatmeal with lots of mixed nuts? That's another high protein meal.
  • jademh
    jademh Posts: 94
    Options
    I've completed Insanity 3 times, and yes 1200 calories a day is WAY too low.

My first round i figured out what worked for me. I bought a whey protein shake from GNC & every morning after Insanity I'd mix it with skim milk .... soo good & tastes like chocolate milk!! AND cheaper than shakeology. With breakfast of the protein shake I always have a little more...some days a banana, peanut butter toast, sugar free oatmeal, egg whites, ETC.

I also don't eat much red meat... Maybe once every other week. I stick to chicken and fish.

I drink TONS of water, and doing Insanity to get my calories up I'd eat about 6 times a day. Three main meals and 3 healthy snacks and that helps add up the calories. :) You need to eat more, and the main thing I'd say is PROTEIN. Some healthy examples include nuts, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, protein bars, peanut butter etc.

Good luck with insanity :) it really is the best workout ever :D Before I joined this site I lost over 25lbs just from Insanity!! :)