East Side Mario's

foxyforce
foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I knew I was in for trouble, but how much trouble I did not realise. I can not for the life of me guess how many calories are in a dish. It is such an eye opener. I avoided all cream sauces, and meat sauces, because of calories.
I got the Angel Hair Primavera which is just angel hair pasta, fresh veggies tossed in oil....omg!!!! over 1000 calories. I went over my calories by over a thousand tonight! yikes!!!

must force myself to go for a jog...:angry:

Replies

• pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    I knew I was in for trouble, but how much trouble I did not realise. I can not for the life of me guess how many calories are in a dish. It is such an eye opener. I avoided all cream sauces, and meat sauces, because of calories.
    I got the Angel Hair Primavera which is just angel hair pasta, fresh veggies tossed in oil....omg!!!! over 1000 calories. I went over my calories by over a thousand tonight! yikes!!!

must force myself to go for a jog...:angry:

I looove East Side Marios but it does sound dangerous! lol. Get up and go for that jog girl, it will make you feel better.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    If something is tossed in oil, it will have a lot of calories. Oil has about 14 calories per tbsp because it is high in fat (healthy fat, but calorically dense). Choose pasta in marinara, which has a tomato base and is usually meat-free. Bolognese will have ground beef in it. Pesto and olive oil are both high in fat, as are sausages. Ricotta and mozzarella are actually not terribly high in fat and also contain a lot of protein.
  • foxyforce
    14 cals per Tbsp is really not so bad...they had to have used like...a cup of oil.
  • songbyrdsweet
    14 cals per Tbsp is really not so bad...they had to have used like...a cup of oil.

Well yea...I mean they give you 2-3 times a normal serving of pasta, which is 1 cup (should look like a softball). And then they put 1/2-1 cup of oil on it so it doesn't stick and is flavorful.
  • foxyforce
    they totally tricked me:angry:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Yea...as a rule get the marinara, eat only one bread stick, half your entree, and get salad dressing on the side. The veggies are good, but pasta is fairy calorie dense and oils definitely are.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    If something is tossed in oil, it will have a lot of calories. Oil has about 14 calories per tbsp because it is high in fat (healthy fat, but calorically dense). Choose pasta in marinara, which has a tomato base and is usually meat-free. Bolognese will have ground beef in it. Pesto and olive oil are both high in fat, as are sausages. Ricotta and mozzarella are actually not terribly high in fat and also contain a lot of protein.

got to be careful with the word bolognese too. some places (like my Sicilian friend's) use a dash of heavy cream which can double your cals and fat like that SNAP:brokenheart:

You can ask for the primavera made with white wine instead. they can use a chicken stock for the base.
This discussion has been closed.