5"7 and stuck at a certain weight!

Options
2»

Replies

• hauntgoddess
    hauntgoddess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Ok, I changed my mind after reading this from 125 to 140...I think what I will have to do is see what my body looks like at 140 and go from there...lol.
  • jengigs
    jengigs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck for a month at about 126 (I have a very small frame and most weight I gain goes to my mid-section.) My goal had originally been 125, and I'd only changed it to 120 when I started getting close and my tummy still didn't look like I wanted, but I've now realized what I really need is muscle. My measurements have continued to go down though, and I'm trying to focus on that and not the scale. Recently added kettlebells to my workouts to build muscle. =) I'm also gradually increasing my calories at this point.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    The weight comes off more slowly the lower you get. Hang in there. :)
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Please forget what the scale says. Your focus should be on Body Mass Index. This is a percentage of fat in you body. The Centers for Disease Control states the number is based on a ratio of your weight compared to your height.

You can calculate your BMI by taking your weight in pounds and multiplying it by 705. Then take this number and divide it by your height, in inches. Divide the number by your height again, and you will receive a number that is less than 50. This is your BMI.

If your BMI number falls within 18.5 to 24.9, then you are in the healthy range. If your BMI number is higher than 25, then you are over the healthy weight. If your BMI number is below 18.5, then you are underweight. In both situations, you could consider dietary changes to bring your weight within the normal range.

For me, I am 6' tall and weigh 168, so my BMI is calculated at 168 x 705 / 72 / 72 = 22.85; almost in the middle of the range. That means 23% of my weight is fat or 168 x 23% = 39 pounds of fat.

BMI is a flawed measurement tool, because it doesn't take bone density into account... so... don't go solely by BMI, just use it as a guide
  • hauntgoddess
    Options
    Just curious...what is the ideal weight for someone with a large frame and is 5'7?
  • jengigs
    jengigs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just curious...what is the ideal weight for someone with a large frame and is 5'7?

If you google frame size and ideal weight you'll come up with lots of different calculators. I just checked one, and it said 143-163 for a large frame. Medium was 133-147 and small is 123-136.
  • hauntgoddess
    Options
    Thank you =)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Please forget what the scale says. Your focus should be on Body Mass Index. This is a percentage of fat in you body. The Centers for Disease Control states the number is based on a ratio of your weight compared to your height.

You can calculate your BMI by taking your weight in pounds and multiplying it by 705. Then take this number and divide it by your height, in inches. Divide the number by your height again, and you will receive a number that is less than 50. This is your BMI.

If your BMI number falls within 18.5 to 24.9, then you are in the healthy range. If your BMI number is higher than 25, then you are over the healthy weight. If your BMI number is below 18.5, then you are underweight. In both situations, you could consider dietary changes to bring your weight within the normal range.

For me, I am 6' tall and weigh 168, so my BMI is calculated at 168 x 705 / 72 / 72 = 22.85; almost in the middle of the range. That means 23% of my weight is fat or 168 x 23% = 39 pounds of fat.

BMI is a flawed measurement tool, because it doesn't take bone density into account... so... don't go solely by BMI, just use it as a guide

It also doesn't take into consideration how much muscle you have.
  • britneyblonde
    britneyblonde Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware that height was a factor in losing weight. Interesting!

Neither was i. I was asking for advice from people who are around the same height as me because i can relate to them. If you have nothing helpful to say dont bother posting at all thanks!! :yawn: