Body Fat

Options
Hi everyone, just wondering what's the most accurate way to measure body fat? and how do you go about measuring it?

Replies

• EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I can give you your first answer :-)

I use my scales, paid a little bit more to get some that could do that, I input my age and height and it uses magic as far as I can tell haha.

I think some people use the fat2fit tools and that gives me a similar reading to my scales.

I've also heard that body calipers give the most accurate results but I've not tried any of those so cant comment.

xx
  • hummerseeker
    hummerseeker Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You can get the calipers at fitness stores that sell treadmills, weights, etc.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Calipers are an effective measurement if you have been trained properly to use them.

There are a lot of measurement techniques, but they can vary wildly in their results, which is why there are so many. I am 22 percent body fat using one, and nearly 34 percent using the navy technique.

Underwater weighting is probably the MOST accurate, but it's not very practical.

There are the bod pods, which measure your weight and your air displacement. again, not as practical.

Scales that measure electrical impedance are accurate for measuring changes in body fat percentage as long as you maintain the same hydration level from measurement to measurement.

To get the most accurate body fat percentage calculation, get an autopsy.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    The easiest is probably a scale or a handheld device. They are probably not nearly as accurate at other measurements, but as long as you see it trending downward, that's all that really matters.
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The Center for Disease Control offers this formula for measuring BMI:

weight x 705 ÷ height in inches ÷ height in inches

For example, I am 6' tall and weigh 168 pounds.

168 x 705 ÷ 72 ÷ 72 = 22.85

That's my BMI or percentage of body fat.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    most accurate is submerging yourself in water and have it done by people with the equipment. 2nd most accurate and cheaper and easier method would be : http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306C-Loss-Monitor-Black/dp/B000FYZMYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335454725&sr=8-1
    i have one and it's very accurate.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    double post :indifferent:
  • acathbee
    acathbee Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers!
    I have problems with some of the formulas offered online g. the navy formula/ CDC because they are basing it on height/weight rather than body compostition so I'm guessing they're not going to be 100%
    I would like to use callipers but once again I am not trained to so I wouldn't be able to accurately use them
    an autopsy is sounding like a good idea! haha!
  • micmac327
    micmac327 Posts: 128
    Options

Not being abrasive, but there's no way this calculation is correct. BMI and body fat are two completely different things. In fact, BMI is one of the more unreliable measures as it doesnt take one's muscle mass, frame size, or body fat into consideration. Height and weight is not enough information to calculate body fat.

For example, a person can lose 10 pounds of fat and gain 10 pounds of muscle. But this calculation states that their body fat would stay the same b/c they weigh the same.

I feel that calipers or high quality scales with BF% metal plates are the more accurate "at home" forms of calculating body fat %.

I'd love to do the Bod Pod, but it's terribly expensive.
  • acathbee
    Options
    Can anyone tell me how the metal plates work? I don't understand how it can measure body composition just from skin contact?!
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    THe plates run an electric current through your body. The amount impeded (blocked) is used to measure the percentage. This however can be inaccurate if you are dehyrated vs. hydrated as water is a good conductor.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

BMI is not the same as body fat percentage.
  • TLC1975
    TLC1975 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers!
    I have problems with some of the formulas offered online g. the navy formula/ CDC because they are basing it on height/weight rather than body compostition so I'm guessing they're not going to be 100%
    I would like to use callipers but once again I am not trained to so I wouldn't be able to accurately use them
    an autopsy is sounding like a good idea! haha!

Most fitness trainers in your area or your local gym are trained in using calipers and own their own. They usually charge a nominal fee for their time to check. Ask around.
  • acathbee
    Options
    Thank you!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    THe plates run an electric current through your body. The amount impeded (blocked) is used to measure the percentage. This however can be inaccurate if you are dehyrated vs. hydrated as water is a good conductor.

I use a Tanita scale. I use the weight first thing in the morning, but the BF% measurement later in the day, when I am more hydrated. It is almost dead on with the Fat2fit calculators. I had my body fat tested with some sort of hand held scanner at my rec center, and they said I was 21%, which was way low. I believe my scale and the calculators, which have me in the 25.5 - 26.5% range.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    All have some margin for error. IMO, the best option is to pick the same method and get measured by the same person.

Here is more info on some common measurement techniques.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/measuring-body-composition-part-2.html
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I picked up some cheap calipers on Amazon-- figure that it's worth a try :)