Taking a break from MFP?

Zara11
Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I feel like I'm slipping into a post-semester mini-depression (I tend to get these, like my brain just collapses after a stressful semester), and I feel like I'm spending too much time on MFP, stressing the lack of pounds I've dropped, flipping out over food etc.

So to up/change the challenge, I'm changing my workouts, try to completely flip my eating, and I think I'm going to try to stay off of MFP, except for messages and my weekly weigh-ins so I can catch myself if this turns into an epic failure :laugh: No logging foods or exercises.

Did this work for anyone/ have any success?

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    For me, if I don't hold myself accountable, I drop off big time into bad habits. I don't intentionally do it but I find not just by logging in calories but also the workouts make it easier to continue my journey into fitness.

I also understand where you are coming from. Maybe not doing all of these things works for you. What about just a place to keep track of current weight and workouts. I use www.runningahead.com I get to log in my bike rides, runs, yoga..etc. without worrying about every calorie.

Good Luck. I hope you find something that works for you.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    For me, if I don't hold myself accountable, I drop off big time into bad habits. I don't intentionally do it but I find not just by logging in calories but also the workouts make it easier to continue my journey into fitness.

I also understand where you are coming from. Maybe not doing all of these things works for you. What about just a place to keep track of current weight and workouts. I use www.runningahead.com I get to log in my bike rides, runs, yoga..etc. without worrying about every calorie.

Good Luck. I hope you find something that works for you.

The bad habit thing i what I'm worried about. But I'm... ugh. I'm not doing the best emotionally right now, so changing all my daily activities might help "snap" me out of it.

I should start jogging/biking more. The weather's been awful, but it really pushes my limits. I just need to find my asthma meds :laugh: or I'll be posting from the hospital.

Experiment starts tomorrow! Whoo-hoo! I'll take it a week at a time until I start slipping.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Zara, I would hate to see you go...:cry:

Ok, I am going to tell you from my own experience. I started here on Jan 08. Everything was going fairly well until like yourself I hit a plateau and was frustrated. Then I changed my exercise routine, more intense cardios, interval training, the Shred workout and the last 10lbs started to come off. My husband was complaining about all the time I was spending on MFP so I decided to take a month off (Oct 08) from MFP, logging in foods and my exercise. Of course I continued trying to eat well, not measuring as much though, and continued exercising. I had reached my goal weight of 125lbs at the end of Sep 08. A month turned into 3 months of on/off checking in, logging foods, measuring etc and of course the Holidays came. I ended up gaining 9lbs by the end of Dec. So I started strong again in Jan 09 and I have reached my goal again and then some (124lbs) this month. This might not be for anyone and I understand your frustration. But this is what works for me at least for now. It is time consuming, some days are better than others. It is good you are experimenting to see what works best for you. You have lost 27lbs and that is great. Do some research on your own and see what can help you stay on track.

Good luck to you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • OliveBranch
    OliveBranch Posts: 104
    That's really crazy that you wrote this post today, because I've been thinking the same thing lately.
    I too just finished a crazy semester, and having all this free time has not been good for me.
    I've feel the same way as you, and I've been kind of obsessing lately about calorie logging, exercise, etc, and I think it is causing more harm then good....
    I took a break the last few days, and it really helped.
    I decided the only way I can keep it in check is to re-train myself to learn to listen to my body (eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full).
    I still made good food choices, though.
    I think it's really important to evaluate where you are in your life right now and what is a priority...
    it sounds like you're dealing with some other issues right now that need to be addressed.
    Maybe try a day or two away from MFP and see how it goes.
    It can be stressful not knowing where you're at for the day, but if you eat reasonably and get exercise, that you are learning to take the tool that MFP is and apply it to "real life."
    I hope everything works out and you start feeling better!
    :flowerforyou: -OB
This discussion has been closed.