Help....a bit discouraged :(

Options
I have been at this for almost 2 weeks now. In the first 5 days I saw a 4 pound loss. My trainer has me at a 1000 calorie a day and I execercise 6x a week doing the eliptical at the gym. This past week I had seen no change in weight except today...I went UP 2 lbs! I have not changed my eating habits - staying within the 1,000 calorie diet. The last few days, my lower back and upper legs I have been having a dull cramps, and I am having a hard time going #2. In the past I was regular going as soon as I was up in the AM, now I actually have to force myself to go at least by 9 am and lucky to do it later on in the day.

I was so discouraged by the number this morning I was in tears.

Can someone help? :(

Denise

Replies

• Nicky6669
    Options
    You aren't eating enough calories. You should be eating atleast 1200 calories a day.
  • scooby3xs
    scooby3xs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Anyone else? I have my Food Diary open if someone wants to give me some tips. I really could use the help.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I agree. If you're working out six times a day and you're only eating 1000 calories you're netting like 700 calories a day. You're practically starving yourself sick.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Was your 1000 calorie limit set based on any nutritional goals, or did your trainer just calculate a 1000 cal deficiet per day based on a 2000 calorie diet? It does look like you eat back exercise calories, but it still seems a little low. I'm 5'1" 133 and even my BMR (minimum your body needs to function) is slightly above 1200. I am not a nutririonist, so I suggest speaking with someone who is to help you determine what caloric / fat /protien/ carb levels will help you reach your goals. I also read your profile and noticed your goal is to lose greater than 50 pounds, but that you say you want in a bikini next month. I wish you all the success in the world, but unless you'll be happy in a two piece by dropping 10-15 pounds (which is great), this isn't realistic. Good Luck!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    That is not enough food for someone who works out 6x a week. I don't think it's enough food for people who don't work out, either. If I were you, I would get a new trainer.
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I will have to agree with what everyone else has posted, I'm trying to lose 60 lbs, I eat anywhere from 1400 - 1700 calories a day & work out 3 times a week. I started on 3/5/12 and I"m down 11lbs (at my last weigh in) 10.5 total inches & 2.3% body fat.... it's slow but that's the best way to do it. I would suggest eating more calories and eating back your calories burnt in exercise. When your body is in starvation mode it will not lose weight. Good luck & so AWESOME you shoot competitive archery, I have been looking at getting into archery.
  • rocketass99
    rocketass99 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Have to agree your calorie count is a low. I have worked with a lot of people and seen the craziest thing happen when they don't eat. In fact if I don't eat I will start saying things like "go left" when I mean "go right. Are you lifting any weights? I think my diet board is open if you want to look at it. Its not perfect, but take a look. What ever you do don't give up now 5 minutes before the mirical happens!:flowerforyou:
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    That is not enough food for someone who works out 6x a week. I don't think it's enough food for people who don't work out, either. If I were you, I would get a new trainer.

I agree on this whole statement.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is just crazy. Your ticker shows you are trying to lose 57lbs. If you have that much to loose, there just is not any way you only need to be taking in 1000 calories.

Find out your TDEE number.
    Find out your BMR.

Your goal should be in that range.

Oh, and yeah, dump that trainer.
  • scooby3xs
    Options
    Hey Grimm - what is a TD number?
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    :noway:
    You're starving yourself.
    You're not drinking anywhere near enough water.
    You're eating next to no fruit and vegetables.
    You're eating way too much sodium.

Your trainer is WRONG. The guy is a dinosaur. Sorry, but there's no other way of putting this. 1000 kcal per day was the industry standard thirty years ago, when folks generally didn't know balanced nutrition from Adam.

The packaged meats and cheese you're having are packed with sodium and other preservatives, the kind of chemical goodness that makes you retain water. Just as bad: the salted cashews! Nuts are terrific, but they should be raw, unsalted and unoiled. In other words, right now you're getting a lot of salt and chemical crap and very little that will allow your body to function properly.

You should be eating an absolute minimum of 1200 kcal per day, predominantly fresh produce and protein. Yes, it takes planning and time to cook from fresh, but believe me, it will be worth it!
  • scooby3xs
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies and support. This is my first time trying to lose weight. I am 185 currently and 5'2. Would like to get down (and not in a miraculous amount of time) to 135. Sometimes you do not know who to trust and all kinds of advise gets you more confused. I appreciate everyone's help!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    What she said^^^

I can't believe a trainer would suggest such low calories, especially with so much exercise. It's not healthy.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    TDEE is the amount of calories you need to eat on a given day to maintain your current body weight. Many people confuse this with BMR. BMR is the essential calories you need for your body to function at a healthy level. You want to be sure you eat that BMR number.

Here is where I calculated my TDEE:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is just crazy. Your ticker shows you are trying to lose 57lbs. If you have that much to loose, there just is not any way you only need to be taking in 1000 calories.

Find out your TDEE number.
    Find out your BMR.

Your goal should be in that range.

Oh, and yeah, dump that trainer.

Totally agree with getting rid of the trainer - if they are giving such bad advice as this I really would not trust them to give ANY advice - lord knows what bad advice he is giving for your exercise.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies and support. This is my first time trying to lose weight. I am 185 currently and 5'2. Would like to get down (and not in a miraculous amount of time) to 135. Sometimes you do not know who to trust and all kinds of advise gets you more confused. I appreciate everyone's help!

I would suggest to ask for his credentials. My understanding is that they cannot give advice about diet because they are not trained to. I am smaller that you 4'11" and I work out 3-5 per week and consume around 1500-1750 calories per day. 1000 is way too little to keep you energy up for all those work outs!

Good luck too you!
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    Is your trainer a certified nutritionist?
    If not... I'd not follow that advice.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOODNESSSSSS...1000 calories is not even meeting your basic metabolic needs....PLEASE take a look at the group I created....over 1700 people have joined in the seven weeks since I created because people are sick of starving...you don't have to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight...TDEE-15% is a small deficit that produces results...it fuels the body while allowing a deficit enough not to throw your poor body into shock....

The group is Eat More to Weigh Less! Anyone is welcome...just read some of the testimonials...it is NOT a drop it quick theory...it is a fuel your body theory so it doesn't think your starving so your body starts to release the fat and the inches melt off and the scale does go down...but at slower pace than the drop it quick, gain it back quicker low cal diets....

I wish you the best!
  • all4derby
    all4derby Posts: 55
    Options
    Is your trainer a certified nutritionist?
    If not... I'd not follow that advice.

This times a billion. Your trainer is that, a trainer. Your body thinks it has to hold onto every pound because it's being subjected to starvation and copius amounts of exercise.

For all your body knows, you could be in a Nazi death camp fighting for survival and it's reacting accordingly.
  • Louise5152
    Options

I agree on this whole statement.