Quinoa & Chicken Skillet

Options
MissAmyB80
MissAmyB80 Posts: 159 Member
So yesterday was one of those fridge clean out days. Trying to clear out a bunch of half used stuff....or produce that was nearing the end of it's life. I searched a few fave recipe search engines....made some adjustments and ommisions and came up with this dish. It was DELISH.

I don't have a good name for it - what are your thoughts???

1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
12 ou boneless skinless cuicken breast (I think you could definetely use more - this is just what I had)
2 zucchini - cubed
1/2 onion - diced
1 can diced tomatoes
4 ounces crumbled feta
1 T lemon juice
6-8 basil leaves

So basically...I cooked up the quinoa in a cup of chicken stock and set aside. I cubed up the chicken breast and cooked it a bit - 5 or so minutes. And took it out of the pan and set it aside. Then I sauteed the zucchini and the onion for about 5 or so minutes too. I used a big skillet and did this all on the stove top. I would guess at this point you could throw it all in a casserole and toss it in the oven to finish up? I'm winging it. I threw the veggies and chicken all back together in the skillet and dumped in my tomatoes. I drained some of the extra liquid off. You could totally cut up a roma tomato instead. I threw the rest of the ingredients in, the feta, lemon juice and basil leaves - which I cut into little strips. I also threw the cooked quinoa in at this point too. Put a lid on it and let it simmer 10 or so minutes until the chicken was cooked all the way through.

Sorry if the directions aren't totally clear - I was making it up as I went!! :) It was SUPER tasty. Maybe you could put more Feta in - or use low fat Feta? That's just what was left in my container.

Here are the stats I calculated based on the ingredients in the measurements I used. It was 4 good size portions.

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sodium
Total: 976 98 27 91 15 2914
Per Serving: 244 25 7 23 4 729

Replies

• thunt1990
    thunt1990 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    This sounds super tasty!
  • Molissa08
    Molissa08 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • yogsvr4
    yogsvr4 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you want to call it, but its something that I'm going to try out this weekend!
  • techteachergirl
    techteachergirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    can't wait to try this!
  • goldenpawz99
    Options
    Sounds like a good recipe! Thanks for sharing.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    It really looks like it would so good!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Yummy! I have started using quinoa in so many of my dishes. And the rest of my clan is clueless!

Always cooked - I have added it to:
    rice-a-roni
    eggs
    lasagna
    soups
    oatmeal

I'm sure there are many more!

Love your recipe, thanks.
  • lpeace2u
    lpeace2u Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I would call it the same thing I called the pasta dish I made the other night.

Use up whatever's left in the fridge pasta! In your case....quinoa instead of pasta :)
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    YUM!!!! That sounds delicious!!!
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    That's looks really yummy :)))
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    Yummy
  • Dmaxsgirl
    Dmaxsgirl Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... I love anthing with feta & basil!
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    sounds so yummy!
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    sounds so yummy!

I made this tonight and it was really good!! My husband actually enjoyed it which is surprising since he hates eating anything "different". I didn't explain to him what quinoa was until after he was done eating. haha!
    This made 4 HUGE servings. Mine had a higher calorie count but I added more chicken and feta cheese.
    Awesome improvising, you made a great meal!
    :drinker:
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    yummm
  • countrygirlatheart0717
    Options
    Cool, thanks! :)
  • Jessintherain
    Jessintherain Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa, this looks GREAT.

I sometimes dry toast the seeds before I add them to the liquid. It adds some to the flavor. :D
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pippkins
    pippkins Posts: 5
    Options
    Yummm!

Throwing whatever's left in your fridge all in a skillet? Sounds like my cooking when the bf's outta town!

I can't wait to try this - Thanks!
  • dot1212
    dot1212 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Good idea for Quinoa. Always looking for recipes for the alternate grains as my daughter is gluten free.