Chocolate Protein Powder that tastes like Chocolate?

Options
joannezuk
joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping your collective wisdom will steer me in the right direction. I'm looking for a chocolate-flavoured protein powder that
a) actually tastes like chocolate
b) has relatively low calories (approx. 100 or less per scoop would be great)
c) is somewhat budget friendly

What are your suggestions?

Replies

• mary_kate23
    mary_kate23 Posts: 156
    Options
    body fortress chocolate whey - i get that at wal mart. it's the best cost for me.... i forget how much but it was cheaper than most. tastes like a chocolate milkshake (i mix with skim milk) and its 26g protein at 140 cals.
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Body by Vi is good, you have to flavor it with chocolate, some people use Cocoa. It has 90 calories (12gr of protein) for 2 scoops. It doesn't have as much protein in it as the higher calorie ones. EAS is good it has 130 calories (23 gr of protein) a scoop and it is very affordable.
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    body fortress chocolate whey - i get that at wal mart. it's the best cost for me.... i forget how much but it was cheaper than most. tastes like a chocolate milkshake (i mix with skim milk) and its 26g protein at 140 cals.
    Sorry, but ICK! I used to have that, it tasted medicinal, to me personally. I like designer whey double chocolate, it's cheap and tasty with around 110 calories a scoop and 18 grams of protein.
  • mary_kate23
    mary_kate23 Posts: 156
    Options
    Sorry, but ICK! I used to have that, it tasted medicinal, to me personally. I like designer whey double chocolate, it's cheap and tasty with around 110 calories a scoop and 18 grams of protein.

wow really? thats the first i've heard of that. i love it!!! it goes down wayyyy too fast haha. do you mix with milk or water? i can't do any whey with water.

also - ISOpure has awesome protein drinks. 160 cals i think, and 40g protein! all diff flavors. they leave your mouth dry, but they taste good to me.
  • chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping your collective wisdom will steer me in the right direction. I'm looking for a chocolate-flavoured protein powder that
    a) actually tastes like chocolate
    b) has relatively low calories (approx. 100 or less per scoop would be great)
    c) is somewhat budget friendly

What are your suggestions?

Any new ideas to this? I've recently been making my own chocolate protein shakes with unsweetened almond milk and have been trying to find a good brand. My first bottle is Designer Whey from Trader Joe's-- a bit medicinal, so I cut it with a little Instant Breakfast powder (1-2 T) to make it taste better. I'm open to suggestions!
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few, the only one I've liked is the Atkins one
  • Drizzly
    Drizzly Posts: 4
    Options
    I have only tried a few protien or meal replacement shakes, but I recently started SHAKEOLOGY and I LOVE IT!! It has great chocolatey..is that a word? lol, flavor.

When I mix it with ice it tastes like a milkshake or icy mocha type drink. There are all sorts of recipes for it..if you mix peanut butter in then it taste almost like a reeses cup! yum :o)
  • chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    So, Designer Whey just changed their chocolate formula and now is "Gourmet Chocolate". I do not like the new taste; too medicinal, almost malt-y tasting, and this can't be covered up with 1-2T of Instant Breakfast.

Time to try another new powder-- anyone know of good ways to sample products or have brands they love?
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Personally the shakes that tend to taste really nice are the ones without the purest amount of protein, and has higher carbs.

Reflex is a very good protein and tastes ok.
  • nlawing
    nlawing Posts: 36
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition - Extreme Milk Chocolate tastes pretty good to me. Especially with a little milk.

It's about 130 calories per scoop, and usually in the normal price range. Not expensive, but not dirt cheap either. It IS a quality product that doesn't fudge it's protein numbers like some companies do.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    GNC Amp 60 chocolate is far and away the best tasting powder I've ever had, but its also the least budget friendly.

Optimum Nutrition chocolate (gold gold or pro complex) both taste good, but you'll never confuse them for a hershey bar.
  • damo1023
    damo1023 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    absorb nutrition whey is my new swear by one at the moment, even mixed with water it tastes awesome and 120 cals per scoop
    used to use the optimum nutrition stuff which is nice but not quite as good on taste.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Oh, one other thing... be aware that serving sizes vary. 1 serving of ON pro complex has 270cals (or there abouts, I forget the exact number), but that's 2 big scoops and 60g of protein. Comparing that to something like myoplex lean (which is 1 small scoop and something like 110cals) can be misleading.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Body by Vi is good, you have to flavor it with chocolate, some people use Cocoa. It has 90 calories (12gr of protein) for 2 scoops. It doesn't have as much protein in it as the higher calorie ones. EAS is good it has 130 calories (23 gr of protein) a scoop and it is very affordable.

Wow...

Water is good, you have to flavor it with chocolate, some people use cocoa. It has 0 calories hahaha....
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Dymatize Nutrion Iso 100 - 100% whey protein isolate gourmet chocolate.

Per scoop:
    Protein- 24g
    Calories- 106
    Fat- 0g
    Carbs- 1g
    Sugar- 0g
    Calcium- 60g
    Sodium- 50g

I will never buy any different. Its delish. 2 scoops with 14oz water and 5 ice cubes. Thats my breakfast.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Just take a bit of unsweetened cocoa and add it to your drink. It's only a few calories and will make it, unsurprisingly, taste like chocolate.
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I like Lifetime Life's Basics chocolate protein powder. I got mine at Amazon, and was pleasantly surprised. It's vegan, and it actually makes me full for a good 2-3 hours after drinking it (I also add greens, banana and PB, which helps satiety).

http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Basics-Protein-Chocolate-1-31-Pound/dp/B002J0PD5Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344006302&sr=8-1&keywords=vegan+chocolate+protein+powder
  • JessicaMurch5515
    JessicaMurch5515 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I use this one too, and I add a tablespoon of Jello Sugar Free Chocolate Pudding mix to it to make it extra chocolatey.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition - Double Rich Chocolate. I mix it with unsweetened almond milk and it tastes JUST like chocolate milk. Seriously.. I'm crazy picky. 120 calories, 24g protein. :)
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Just take a bit of unsweetened cocoa and add it to your drink. It's only a few calories and will make it, unsurprisingly, taste like chocolate.

This is what I do!!

If you're looking to up the protein content get a flavour-free protein powder, and just add some cocoa (1 Tbsp = ~20 calories).

My morning smoothie is plain yogurt, protein powder, almond milk, cocoa powder, and some combo of (frozen) blueberries/raspberries/strawberries (~200 calories). I get about 20 grams of protein from that, then eat 1 oz cashews shortly after for another 5 grams of protein (~150 calories).