Exercise and Desk Job???

Options
13»

Replies

• legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Maybe get some hand weights and do those in between customers? They are small and discreet!
  • SlimsLiftingMoreThanLipstick
    Options
    I have a very open office and can not do many exercises discretely at work. However just to change it up I convert my desk to a standing station for 1 hour everyday. I put my keyboard and mouse on a box to raise it and tilt my monitor up. If I am slow with actual work during that hour I try to do chair squats as well. I also do ab Vacuums while sitting at my desk.
  • sockergurl04
    Options
    You could buy one of those things that lets you pedal like you're riding a bike and put it under your desk!
  • 143srd
    143srd Posts: 2
    Options
    I get up every 20-30 minutes and walk around the inside of my office a few times. I also try to stretch several times a day, and if I'm really feeling sluggish, I'll go into the bathroom and do at least 20 jumping jacks. I don't want to feel sweaty.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I sit on an exercise ball and use that as my office chair.

When no one is looking, I do exercises on it.

When I use the copy machine, I do squats or lunges while I wait. If I have to go to the bank, I walk the 15 minutes to get there.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    If I'm in the bathroom by myself I do jumping jacks or lunges or march in place for a few minutes. I also try to walk for at least a half-hour of my lunch break (if I am able to take a lunch break). I also do the chair dancing or wiggling if I can.
  • meandyou1124
    meandyou1124 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I walk around outside if it's nice or even just around the floor. Depending on how your floor plan is laid out. Also i used to have a book called excerise at your desk. It was good little tips to help. Not much you can do when alot of others are around you. Good luck!!
  • mrswilson0511
    mrswilson0511 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    sorry this is long but I cant remember where i found it...but I do these all the time i have them printed out next to my computer screen :smile:

Deskercise Invisible Exercises
    Muscles can get a workout even without much movement. It's called "isometric" exercise, and it's a godsend in today's push-button society. Here are a few super-subtle moves that you can do whether you're sitting on a bus or sending a fax. No one will suspect a thing!
    • Inner-Thigh Squeeze: While sitting, place a tennis ball or your fist between your knees and squeeze your thighs together for 5 to 10 seconds. Feel the tension in your inner thighs!
    • Bun Lifter: Squeeze your buttocks muscles for 5 seconds — it's equal to one squat! A super move for your rear view!
    • Tummy Tightener: Pull in your tummy, tense and tighten up your ab muscles; hold for 10 seconds. That's equal to one sit-up!
    • Seated Ab Firmer: Sit up tall and place your hands on your thighs. Tighten abs as you press your hands against your thighs and pull your knees in toward your chest. Hold for 5 to 10 seconds, then release.
    • Triceps Toner: Stand with your arms by your sides, palms facing behind you. Keeping your arms straight, gently pulse your arms backward for 5 seconds then release. This is a great isometric exercise for the back of your arms — I do it while waiting in line at the grocery store!
    • Arm Shaper: Lay your left hand on top of your right in front of you, palms together. Lift upward with your right arm while using your left arm to create resistance. Feel your right arm strengthening. Hold this flex for 5 seconds. Switch arms and repeat. Do twice on each side.
    • Chest Firmer: Work your "pecs," or chest muscles, by putting your palms together in prayer position, then pressing your hands together for 5 seconds. Relax and repeat twice.
    • Posture Perfecter: You can do this one while you're standing or sitting. Bend your elbows at a 90-degree angle, forearms parallel to the floor. Squeeze your shoulder blades down and together as you gently press your elbows back; this is a very subtle movement. Hold for five seconds, then release.
  • cocodp
    cocodp Posts: 164
    Options
    bump
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands are great. Not the handle ones ... the long flat kind. Just fold up and leave in your desk. While sitting in your office chair - place center of the band on the floor. Place feet on the band to hold in place and do rows or bicep curls. For the tricep muscles - sit on the center of the band. Hold bands overhead and do french presses. For lower abs - sit on the edge of your chair. Hold the end of the band in each hand. Press your feet out at the center of the bands. Then do a lower body crunch by pushing your feet out and then bringing your knees in.

Or ..... no equipment

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/express/10-minute/get-rid-of-job-related-jiggle/

Tricep dips on the edge of your office chair. Be careful of rolling chairs ......
  • Smithb342
    Options
    When you have free time at your desk move to the edge of the chair and do sit ups!!! It really works!:yawn:
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have read that sitting on a stability ball instead of a desk chair helps tremendously. I have yet to try it tho. Just a thought.

^^ This! I have done this when I had a desk job I loved to bounce on it and some times just lift my feet and try to balance on it. You can even ask one of your managers or bosses and see if they will supply one for you. Some work places really like to encourage healthy employees and others don't even think about it until someone speaks up. Also if you keep a set of resistance bands in your desk you can hook it onto your feet and do arm curls without to many people watching.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    My office offers the option of "sit/stand" workstations. They are stations set at a height where you can either sit in a very tall chair, or stand on a fatigue mat. I took that option and I try to stand as often as I can. I'm lazy, so it's not as often as it should be. LOL
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My kickboxing coach says if you tighten your abs while sitting and then release that it works your abs? :)
  • tmpayton
    tmpayton Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    bump