Runners-what is your comfort distance?

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
For example, I know I can go out and run 6 miles and I'm not going to struggle with it. When I have runs longer than that scheduled, I start to think too much about the distance and worry about how I am going to do. Anybody know what I'm talking about? What is your "comfort" distance?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean and it's mostly a mental game. Last year when I was training for my first 10K I was intimidated by the idea of running that distance, a few nice slow training runs later I knew I'd never make the podium but that I could go the distance, same with then I was training for my first half - 21.1km seemed like an awfully long distance. So I'd say my comfort distance is around 20km, but I'm thinking full marathon in 2013...that idea still intimidates me.
  • lporter229
    Options
    Good luck to you! I am also thinking full marathon for next year, but I have to get past my half in two weekends first. This will be my third half, but it has been 6 years since my last, so I am a little nervous. My 11 mile distance run last Sunday left me hurting! i know what you mean about the distance of the full though. It's an entirely different beast. But I don't think I will every really be satisfied until I try it at least once!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I'm not running anywhere near the distance that you all are, I generally run 3 -3 1/2 miles right now. I've just become a runner recently. But I still get very nervous on the days I am going to run. I am afraid I am going to fail myself and not make the distance. I think I will put off running a 5K for a while because I'm afraid I will psych myself out beforehand.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I never think about how far I'm going to go... I just go for as long as I can and after check and see how far that was. :\
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    My comfort distance is 7 to 8 miles. I can do this without any training as I do it most weeks. I have run a few 1/2 marathons and a full marathon. I enjoy the half marathons much better, but looking foward to running Boston next spring :smile:
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    About 13.
    I actually CRIED before my 24 miler for my marathon training because I didn't think I was going to make it since I had an awful 22 miler 2 weeks before.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    For me, most of the time it's just how I feel that day... sometimes I find shorter runs kill me but then I can do a long run (8 to 11 miles) and feel fine for the whole run.

I would guess I do feel best with 4 to 6mile runs, gives me enough time to get in the groove, but not so long as to feel tired.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I think right now my comfort distance is around 3.5-4 miles. It's where I know I can run freely but still get an ok sweat and it only takes about a half hour and I feel better when I am done. I get what you are saying about with overthinking long runs though.
  • nikrit84
    nikrit84 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just started jogging 2 months ago. I can go 4 miles at a fairly slow pace. about 11 minute miles. I am planning on doing my first 5k in may but afraid I will do the same right before the run. Hoping to make it because it is one of my 4 new years resolutions and next on my llst.
  • normatus
    normatus Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A regular run.... three miles, maybe 3.5. If I'm going for a long run 5-6.
  • kesslertg
    kesslertg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I recall a time many years ago when I could not run a mile. So I went out and did a walk/run for 1 mile around the reflecting pool in DC. After awhile I could run the whole thing. I went up to 2 miles starting with walk/run then run, to 3.5 miles and so forth. Eventually go the distance up to longer runs. Then I went on to run 25 marathons and 2 fifty milers. Lol. Last marathon was 12 years ago in Hamilton, NZ (1/1/2000).

In last few years have run 3.5 miles periodically. Since starting MFP on March 3 am back up to 6.5 miles once or twice a week.

So the key is take time, gradually go longer distances, use walk/run strategy as you get longer, and just enjoy the time. If you run regularly, your body will "crave" a run. If you stop running, your body will dread the next run. I have a lot of experience in both situations. Lol. Gotta go. Heading out for a run. : )
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    It depends on the day of the week. On weekdays a 10 mile run seems so long, but on weekends I can do up to 15 and it just flies by. After that it seems a bit long.
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Good question - I'm thankful that mine has morphed from about 2-3 miles to 6-9 miles (depending on the time of year and training schedule). But 6 miles doesn't scare me in the least, which is pretty cool.
    I'd like to continue working towards a 1/2 marathon being my "comfort" level - as in, I could sign up for a 1/2 at the drop of the hat any time during the year and know that I could finish it. Back when I started running again being able to run a spontaneous 10k was my goal - surpassed that, and now working on double that distance!
  • kmaas802
    kmaas802 Posts: 19
    Options
    With me, it's all mental. If I know I have a 4-5 mile run planned, that's the max I can do before wanting to quit. However, my weekend long runs are around 8-9 miles right now, and I can make that no problem on those days. Seems like whatever distance I have in my head that day becomes my comfort distance!
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    5 mi.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    7-9
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    10K-10 miles
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    6-8 miles. Though I'm working on increasing that.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My comfort distance is 7 to 8 miles. I can do this without any training as I do it most weeks. I have run a few 1/2 marathons and a full marathon. I enjoy the half marathons much better, but looking foward to running Boston next spring :smile:

You qualified for Boston? Fantastic!
  • lporter229
    Options

I'd like to continue working towards a 1/2 marathon being my "comfort" level - as in, I could sign up for a 1/2 at the drop of the hat any time during the year and know that I could finish it.

Exactly. That's where I would like to be. That way, my dream of doing the full Mary would feel much more within reach. Right now I am definitely comfortable with a 10K anytime, anywhere.