If you feed your kids, I NEED your imput!

Options
SOOOO I need YOUR help! May is Kids Nutrition month and I am scheduled to speak at two conferences on the topic, but I need to know...

1. What are your interests and concerns in your Kids/ Family Nutrition and Food.

2. What are some of your struggles as a mom or parent in this topic.

3. If you were to come to a conference on the topic what would you want to learn about?

I really need your imput to get an idea of where parents are in this... I have my own "kid" issues but my kids are different with a Holistic Nutritionist as a mother! lol

THANK YOU in advanced! Xx

Replies

• tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Oh, this is interesting!!

As a mother of 2 youngin's (5 & 2), I find it hard to keep their plate balanced. No, that's not right...*I* keep their plate balanced, but what they actually EAT isn't. They don't eat their veggies, they'd eat the same meal morning noon and night if they had their way, etc. I use to cook to cater to them, but then I started feeling blah from it, and it made me think "If I don't feel well eating like this, is that how they feel too?" Now I cook/feed them healthier meals that are more balanced. I'm of the thinking that if I offer it enough times eventually they'll eat it.

1.) My concern is: how can I make sure they're getting what their little bodies need?
    2.) Struggles: how far do I "push the subject"? Do I stand my ground and say "You eat what's on your plate or nothing!" or is it ok to offer something like a pb sandwich after x amount of time has gone by and they still haven't eating a bite.
    3.) What I'd want to learn: healthy kid-friendly/family-friendly menus and/or recipes are always helpful! Menu/Meal plans are a lifesaver for me, so to see a few examples would be awesome!
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    GREAT topic, wish I could come listen to you speak!

My twins are 2.5 yrs old and only want candy. haha So I guess picky eaters is top of my list, but what toddlers are picky. They will eat fruit but too much fruit is hard on their little tummies so I have to walk a fine line. They just recently will eat "trees" (broccoli) and some carrots. Neither are big meat eaters and what meat they will eat is overly processed, ie chicken nuggets, turkey franks, meatballs. Being a busy mom it is hard not to give in to processed foods because of lack of time and lack of patience with picky eaters.

I would like healthy meals for picky eaters that can be prepared early (like a weekend) and then frozen and eaten throughout the next couple weeks.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Things like what are appropriate portion sizes, what do they need for calories daily, what foods to eat to get the vitamins they need the most, beyond what is common sense
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options

As a mother of 2 youngin's (5 & 2), I find it hard to keep their plate balanced. No, that's not right...*I* keep their plate balanced, but what they actually EAT isn't. They don't eat their veggies, they'd eat the same meal morning noon and night if they had their way, etc. I use to cook to cater to them, but then I started feeling blah from it, and it made me think "If I don't feel well eating like this, is that how they feel too?" Now I cook/feed them healthier meals that are more balanced. I'm of the thinking that if I offer it enough times eventually they'll eat it.

1.) My concern is: how can I make sure they're getting what their little bodies need?
    2.) Struggles: how far do I "push the subject"? Do I stand my ground and say "You eat what's on your plate or nothing!" or is it ok to offer something like a pb sandwich after x amount of time has gone by and they still haven't eating a bite.
    3.) What I'd want to learn: healthy kid-friendly/family-friendly menus and/or recipes are always helpful! Menu/Meal plans are a lifesaver for me, so to see a few examples would be awesome!

My kiddos would eat Nutrigrain cereal bars all day long!
  • teapot35
    teapot35 Posts: 28
    Options
    Mom of 3 here - (1,4 & 6). I try to get them to eat something green at least once a day. (thank goodness I eat lots of broccoli - they don't even flinch around it like some kids do)

The 4 year old is a real challenge, though - trying new things never appeals to her. We have a pre-K rut that must be broken before she goes a full day at school. As an excellent school-lunch packer (really into bento),I have a rep to protect.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    1.) Since my son is in several sports (age 11), how do I make sure he is getting what he needs to build good muscles and bones? How much water/gatorade does he need (his lips are chapped and the skin on his hands is peeling, so I can tell he is not getting enough) ?

2.) How to keep the right healthy finger foods fresh, since I cook healthy and my hubby makes frozen pizza every night. I buy, cut-up, and offer friuts and veggies often, but they go bad quickly.

3.) I would attend a topic on fitness and hydration for kids (sorry this seems so obvious, since that is my response to #1 & 2)
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    1. What are your interests and concerns in your Kids/ Family Nutrition and Food.
    (my son is 3) Am I setting a good example? Am I providing enough variety for him? Am I helping him to develop good habits? WHAT ARE good habits?

Everyone has an opinion on the topic of family meals together - but as with most things in life, I think there is never a one size fits all answer. I wish we could all sit as a family and eat every night, but with two working parents our schedules don't really work for that. He does good sitting with us when we do eat together. I worry that he is getting a balance of nutrition. He is excellent with his fruits and veggies. He is a little dairy monster (yogurt - even greek! - cheese, milk). But he will not TOUCH any meat, beans or nuts. So - I worry about protein. And it makes it tricky to all eat the same meal, b/c hubs and I are meat eaters.

3. If you were to come to a conference on the topic what would you want to learn about?
    I would love to learn about how to be sure he is getting a good balance of nutrition. How to encourage good habits.
  • GrowOrDie
    GrowOrDie Posts: 42
    Options
    YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! This is going to help so many parents! Im going to try, after I put together my material to answer each of your concerns for your kids to say thanks for your imput! This really gives me a better idea of what moms are facing!
  • miss_september
    Options
    Well, I don't have kids of my own, yet, but I do spend time with my cousins kids quite a bit, and actually have a lot of anxiety about if/when I do have my own kids and not wanting them to have the same weight issues both me and my husband have had our entire lives, so here's what i think (for what it is worth)

1. What is the best way to encourage kids to have a healthy relationship with food, and not obsess over calories or portions, but understand how to eat richer/treat type foods in moderation? How many calories, how much exercise, and what levels of nutrients do they need? Oh, and how do you deal with eating at places like McDonalds if, as a family, it isn't something you do, but realize it may be somewhere you child can be taken by friends, etc. later on in life? (My husband and I don't eat at places like that, and would like our children to stay away, but want to know how to teach them to make good decisions if they are ever somewhere that basically offers fatty, greasy, over processed food)

2. Well, I am not a parent, but my cousins kids have very different tastes, one loves meat and potatoes, but pretty much doesn't like veggies or fruit, the other is basically the opposite. I realize I didn't raise them, but even having one's own children, dealing with the dietary choices/preferences of others' children can be quite a headache.

3. I would want to have my questions from #1 answered (in anticipation of my own children), and I would be interested in learning ways to raise a non-picky, healthy eater. For example, my husband and I were at a japanese steakhouse a few years ago, and a couple came in with their 2 year old and grandparents. The two year old totally tore up the rice, veggies, and shrimp! The grandparents were surprised, but listening to the parents talk, they had exposed their daughter to food all over the world (they apparently travel a lot), and as a result, she had some very interesting yet healthy eating preferences, and never had problems finding food wherever they go (kids menu or not). So, are there any strategies for fostering this, even without travel?
  • K8tzmom
    K8tzmom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My 2 yr old grandson LOVES smoothies, so I make them with non-fat Greek yogurt, a little non-fat milk, vegan protein powder, frozen fruit and LOTS of green veggies - esp. kale and spinach. He doesn't know the difference. ;)
  • huntingforhipbones
    Options
    For example, my husband and I were at a japanese steakhouse a few years ago, and a couple came in with their 2 year old and grandparents. The two year old totally tore up the rice, veggies, and shrimp! The grandparents were surprised, but listening to the parents talk, they had exposed their daughter to food all over the world (they apparently travel a lot), and as a result, she had some very interesting yet healthy eating preferences, and never had problems finding food wherever they go (kids menu or not). So, are there any strategies for fostering this, even without travel?

I travelled a lot with my parents as a child and would eat anything like smoked salmon, prawns, etc. My parents NEVER ordered off the kid's menu, they always got me a small portion of adult food to encourage me to develop an adult taste :)
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My 6-yr old is a great eater -- loves everything, including veggies, etc. My biggest issue is he also loves junk food and when he gets home from school that is the first thing he goes for. I offer him healthy choices but he heads right to the pantry. Granted, others will say "don't buy the crap" but I do not-- my SPOUSE does because HE likes it too. When I ask that he not buy it or buy it and hide it so the little one doesn't know it's in the house, he does not.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My 2 yr old grandson LOVES smoothies, so I make them with non-fat Greek yogurt, a little non-fat milk, vegan protein powder, frozen fruit and LOTS of green veggies - esp. kale and spinach. He doesn't know the difference. ;)

I also do this with my 6-yr old -- he LOVES smoothies and doesn't matter what I put in them!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,425 Member
    Options
    I have teen age boys and one who is a competitive swimmer. For me the challenge is finding healthy, nutritious, good tasting foods IN ENOUGH QUANTITY for them to grow normally and fuel their sports without me going broke! I much prefer real food to supplements and the swimmer really hates protein powders and those types of things. They are both "trained" that they have to eat what is on their plate so I know that they are eating something healthy for dinner at least.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I don't feed my kids.... they need to learn to forrage & hunt on their own! How will they ever learn & be productive strong adults?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    This........We have the same stuggles. We can usually get in lots of fruit.....and some veggies....and milk......but the rest is mac and cheese, PB&J and pizza.

• cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    SOOOO I need YOUR help! May is Kids Nutrition month and I am scheduled to speak at two conferences on the topic, but I need to know...

I really need your imput to get an idea of where parents are in this... I have my own "kid" issues but my kids are different with a Holistic Nutritionist as a mother! lol

1. Concerns - the low quality of school lunches. They aren't nearly as balanced as they should be, especially the high amount of carbs and the fact that many schools limit recess / gym time! (Hmm wonder why they are so hyper and obese?)

2. We get free lunch - which helps us out a lot $ wise right now...so it's a debate for me...what to do, what to do...

3. Umm, not sure, honestly...most of what i research is how different foods effect kids with ADHD, but I know that's not "general" enough for most groups.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options

Dealing with a picky eater is my biggest concern/struggle/topic I need more info on! My son is SO freaking picky. It drives me insane. :(
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Things like what are appropriate portion sizes, what do they need for calories daily, what foods to eat to get the vitamins they need the most, beyond what is common sense

This, I have twin 6 year old boys and a 4 year old daughter. I really want to know calorie intake and vitamins and minerals, and I want to know if it changes as the grow and how.
    I have no trouble saying no, my issue is how to do you talk about food, healthy eating and exercising without giving them a complex
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher, you might want to address lunchroom trading, ect. No matter what you pack, they are eating what they want, trust me!

Again, I don't have kids, but I still visit this site for recipes and such: http://familyfeedingdynamics.com/blog/