3 Month Report: 38 pounds lost

Options
Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
I started on 3/18/09 at 256 pounds, having just been diagnosed w/Type II diabetes, on blood pressure and high cholesterol meds and having hit a new all-time weight high after being out of work for 2 months.

Well, I am still out of work, but that DR visit finally motivated me to take (back) charge of my life. I took over the cooking, used MFP to plan my meals and track calorie intake, prioritized my exercise program and started monitoring my progress. I had a modest fitness base to work from, so that wasn't starting from scratch. I also gave up being a vegetarian, just to simplify the meal planning process.

As of 6/18/09, I weighed in at 218 pounds. I set up a plan for 2lb/wk loss, but have not replaced my exercise calories, so the initial average was 3+ pounds per week. (in the last month, it has probably slowed to no more than 2lbs/wk). I stayed with a 1500 calorie per day diet, started with an additional 2000 kcal/wk exercise. I am still w/the diet, but have increased exercise calories to 4000-5000 per week, adding a few more calories on days that I burn 800 or more calories w/exercise. I started with walk/jog program of 4 min run/2 min walk for 25-30 min. Now I consistently run 35-45 minutes, with one long run per week of 60-70 min. I exercise an avg of 6 days/wk: 3-4 run, 1-2 stairclimber, 1-2 cross trainer. I lift weights twice/week. I have lost 4 in on my waist, have "shrunk out" of two pants sizes and many of my shirts. I am trying to be careful buying new clothes, a) because I am still out of work and b) I still would like to lose an additional 30-35lbs.

My new medium-term goal is to have an "honest" drivers license by my birthday on Oct 12. 8 years ago when I had it renewed, my weight was 190 -- that's what it says on the license. (four years ago, the guy at the license bureau said don't bother to change it, even though it was obviously a wrong number). That gives me about 15 weeks to lose another 26 pounds ( I have lost 2 more lbs since 6/18).

One of my bigger challenges now is that I think I my calorie intake is probably too low, but I am afraid to boost it up. I suspect I have lost more fat-free mass than I would have liked. I would be curious to know if anyone else has been in a similar situation and tried it and what results they had. I looked at some research abstracts on the Curves website and they suggested that, on their maintenance plan, they take people who are on a 1400 cal/day plan and periodically boost them to 2600 cal/day for a week. Supposedly, their research shows that increases resting energy expenditure and conserves fat-free mass.

I have been pretty rigid with a lot of my meals, both for weight loss and to isolate variables to keep blood glucose under control. Breakfast was a 3-egg omelet with 1/3 cup cheese, and a peppers, onions and mushrooms--about 450-500 cal total. I have since changed that to 2 eggs, cut down on the cheese and added 1 slice of whole grain bread w/ 1 tsp margarine and less than 1 tsp preserves because I needed some addl carbs. Lunch is usually 1 slice bread, 1 tbsp light mayonnaise, 1 1/2 slices provolone cheese, sliced tomato, about 300-325 calories, a 300-400 calorie portioned leftover from the previous night's dinner, or a 93% lean sirloin burger (no bun) and a salad. Dinners are much more elaborate and I am always doing new things, trying to keep total intake to 600-700 calories. Snacks are either 1 med piece fruit, or 31g of a soy nut from Costco. On 4 occasions (monthly wine tasting parties and 1 dinner party), I have had desserts, but that's it. The dinners are pretty robust--I don't try to make everything "lean". If a recipe is higher in fat or calories, I just eat smaller portions--I would rather to that than cut out all the fat and/or flavor. All drinks are no-cal. I use a lot of vegetables and salads as "filler" foods, so I don't overindulge in the heavier stuff. For example, an easy, cheap meal is mac and cheese out of the box with tuna fish and peas mixed in. The only problem is that it is really easy to sit there in front of the TV and just keep shoveling it in. 1 cup is about 360 calories--to stretch it out, I add lightly oiled, stir-fried peppers, onions, and mushrooms to my meal. It makes for a "full bowl" but allows me to feel full with 1 cup or 1.5 cups of the mac/cheese and keeps total calories to about 600 for the meal. Or I will have a hamburger (no bun, w/cheese) or piece of salmon with maybe 1/2 cup of a grain dish and a big salad. It has caught on a little with my wife and stepdaughter and we are now going through green/red peppers, onions and mushrooms like crazy ;-)

In the beginning, I weighed and precisely measured EVERYTHING, and used MFP to calculate dishes I made from scratch. Now that I have a good handle on ingredients and portion sizes, I don't do that much food logging anymore.

I do find it interesting that, even after 3 months of this routine, I don't think my food cravings (i.e. late night snacking, dessert foods, fast foods) have subsided all that much--I have just gotten to be very good at either suppressing them or using avoidance strategies. ( I was invited to a neighbor's graduation party Sat night and did not go with my wife because I was afraid the food would be too tempting. Instead I stayed home and did 45 min on the Stairmaster. Later I stopped by for a new minutes and really had to control myself when they handed around the cookie tray). I do get concerned of what will happen once I have reached my goal weight--or when I go back to work and don't have the time to cook, shop, etc.

Hope this isn't too much detail. I included it just in case there was something in my story that others might find useful. I would say that, overall, the strategy has been portion control, rather than any particular foods or "diet plan". By taking over the cooking from my wife, I was able to switch to more whole grains, vegetables, and lower-fat food prep, which has not only helped me lose weight, but also normalize my blood sugar. I have followed about a 40-35-25 ratio of carbs, fat, protein at first. That is probably about 50-30-20 now as my exercise volume has increased.

Replies

• toneal21
    toneal21 Posts: 1
    Options
    Wow, congratulations! I am so proud of you for taking charge. :smile: I can tell you have the motivation and that in itself will benefit you. Keep up the great work and I emjoyed your post. I am just starting off. I am 26 years old and 186 pounds and 5'6 which is considered obese. I am trying to reach my first goal of 165 and then 145. Pray for me, lol!

Thanks again!
  • Papaya81
    Papaya81 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Azdak--Congrats!! Quite an accomplishment to say the least! Once again, all these success stories is what inspires me to continue with my eating program and my exercise...ESPECIALLY during this past week when all i wanted were red hot tamales candy. but nevertheless, congrats and you have made quite a positive statement!

Toneal--I am in the same boat!! welcome and best of luck!
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! You should be very proud of yourself.
  • tucson2
    tucson2 Posts: 16
    Options
    Congratulations AZDAK! I really appreciate all the information and details you included in your post. Thanks!
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Its good you have lost that much. I think your protein is low and this may lead to losing musle before fat and thats not good as that will decrease your motablism.

Keep up the good work.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!