Best Barefoot Running book?

Options
Hi there, i am currently looking at starting Barefoot running and wanted to know what are the best books to look at for this?

I have seen a couple on here, but forget the exact names...

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Born to Run by Christopher McDougall
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Chi Running: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running-Danny Dreyer
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options

This.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Dr. Nicholas Romanov's Pose Method of Running
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Born to Run is one i have heard of...
  • roadrunner32
    Options
    I agree: Born to Run!
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    LOL My first thought was, "you need a book to learn to run barefoot?" What will they tell you, Step 1: Remove shoes. Step 2: Remove socks. Step 3: Run like the wind!
    :laugh:
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options

This.

LOVED this book. RIP Caballo Blanco!
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Born to Run is a great read, but it doesn't really get into form much at all. It may convince you to run barefoot, but if you're looking for more of a how-to, you should read Chi Running. It has practical ways to improve your form.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    LOL My first thought was, "you need a book to learn to run barefoot?" What will they tell you, Step 1: Remove shoes. Step 2: Remove socks. Step 3: Run like the wind!
    :laugh:

LOL!
  • stevensashen
    Options
    There's also Barefoot Running, Step-by-Step (by Ken Saxton and Roy Wallack); Barefoot Running (by Michael Sandler); The Barefoot Running Book (Jason Robillard), and; Run Barefoot, Run Healthy (Ashish Mukharji)... all are good.

BTW, you may also want to check out the articles on the blog at www.Invisibleshoe.com (especially http://www.invisibleshoe.com/1310/how-to-run-barefoot/ and http://www.invisibleshoe.com/1061/how-not-to-start-barefoot-running/).

While you're there, you'll see the high-tech huarache running sandals (a university study coming out next week shows that they are just like being barefoot, but with a layer of protection).
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Chi Running: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running-Danny Dreyer
    This is an excellent book for anyone who runs! Not just barefooters!
  • JodaNord
    Options
    Thanks all!

I have Born to run already coming to me, so I was hoping to figure out a book that gives more how tos and what not to do's, and pointers to get me really running barefoot. I bought a pair of shows awhile back to help make me go mid foot, but have been sidelined with an injury since buying them. Once i am able to run again, i plan on using them while getting a few reads on barefoot technique and how to...
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Don't know the nature of the injury preventing you from running ... while you heal, how about foot and achillle strengthening exercises? With barefoot running, allow yourself a couple weeks at least to work on getting those muscles--weakened by decades of support by shoes--stronger with activities like picking up pebbles with your toes, walking barefoot whenever possible, and check out here http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-prepare-for-barefooting/#axzz1tG9NkYR0
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    They actually have several books on how to incorporate barefoot running into training. "Born to Run" really doesn't do that. It's more of a book written almost as a memoir, with some scientific aspects thrown in. Great book, and I would still recommend reading it, but it's not helpful if you need some instructions for incorporating barefoot or minimal running.

I would suggest "Barefoot Running: How to Run Light and Free by Getting in Touch with the Earth". Also 'Barefoot Running Step by Step" is supposed to be a good one. I've heard a few people say that offers more suggestions about how to actually get into it gradually, to avoid injuries from overuse right away.

There's also a book from Runner's World about minimalist and barefoot running, that's more of a instructional book as well.

I don't know if that's exactly what you're looking for, but definitely read up on suggestions as to how to incorporate it, otherwise you run the risk of injuring yourself if you do too much too soon. Good luck!
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I got the Chi Running DVD from the library and have enjoyed it.
  • akvreeland
    Options
    Born to Run... for sure
  • JodaNord
    Options
    Don't know the nature of the injury preventing you from running ... while you heal, how about foot and achillle strengthening exercises? With barefoot running, allow yourself a couple weeks at least to work on getting those muscles--weakened by decades of support by shoes--stronger with activities like picking up pebbles with your toes, walking barefoot whenever possible, and check out here http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-prepare-for-barefooting/#axzz1tG9NkYR0

Its actually weak ankle and collapsing arch on my left leg. i am seeing physio and doing exercises daily to strenghten the muscles. monday i go for another appointment where i will actually run the track there with the thereapist and he will look at my gait and what mechanics need tweaking in my stride...
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Its actually weak ankle and collapsing arch on my left leg. i am seeing physio and doing exercises daily to strenghten the muscles. monday i go for another appointment where i will actually run the track there with the thereapist and he will look at my gait and what mechanics need tweaking in my stride...

From experience, ballet exercises are amazing for strengthening feet and ankles (even if you're a guy). Google search 'ballet strengthening exercises ankles' ... for instance, walking around slowly on tiptoe, spelling the alphabet with your feet, and standing on a step and raising up to toes and dropping back slightly below step will also strengthen. Be aware of your body alignment and that your weight is over the middle of your feet and not on your heels. I don't know how severe the ankle injury is so take it slowly or wait until you're able if the injury is too severe. Conventional physios may recommend an orthotic which will be a crutch rather than a correction--hopefully will be aware of mechanics of barefoot running.
  • JodaNord
    Options
    From experience, ballet exercises are amazing for strengthening feet and ankles (even if you're a guy). Google search 'ballet strengthening exercises ankles' ... for instance, walking around slowly on tiptoe, spelling the alphabet with your feet, and standing on a step and raising up to toes and dropping back slightly below step will also strengthen. Be aware of your body alignment and that your weight is over the middle of your feet and not on your heels. I don't know how severe the ankle injury is so take it slowly or wait until you're able if the injury is too severe. Conventional physios may recommend an orthotic which will be a crutch rather than a correction--hopefully will be aware of mechanics of barefoot running.
    [/quote]

The therapist seems pretty good, as he is a runner himself and specilaizes in sports injury etc. i will know Monday what kind of info he gives me, but he has not even suggested orthotics, but rather taping and exercises to strengthen and correct.