wearing HRM for 24 hours

Options
I was thinking of wearing my HRM for a 24 hour period to get a more accurate reading of my daily calorie burns, but when i googled wearing a HRM from 24 hours there was many mixed ideas about this - mostley saying that as the HRM are not designed to read resting rates that the results would be inaccurate and much higher than the reality...

I suppose im just wondering if anyone has used their HRM for this purpose, and what your results were? would you think the HRM reading for resting rate would be inaccurate??
I have a polar F6

thoughts?

xxPINK

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I've done it, it seemed pretty accurate to me. I have an F6.

What makes them think they aren't designed to read resting heart rate. They read the electromagnetic pulse given off by the heart, I don't think it really matters if you're exercising or not. As long as it doesn't lose the reading, I see no reason why it would be faulty.
  • pinksultana
    pinksultana Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yeah thats what I thought, I will give it a go. To be honest I did a really quick google before posting so maybe I just stumbled across a few negative posts of people who dotn really know. i will do it and see what happens
  • amandajsp
    amandajsp Posts: 10
    Options
    i've been thinking about doing that too. i work weekends as an er nurse and we run our butts off - just curious what i burn there...i only do 'real' workouts during the week when i don't work...
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I did it with my Polar F4 a few weeks ago. I got a reading of over 3000 calories. I did a 50 minute video m(burned 450 cals) and breastfed my four month old.
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I did this last week, and I thought my read was too high to be right (4931) but with the extra weight I am carrying could this be accurate?
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    OK--I have a question. I'm sure that if i wore my HRM 24/7 I would be amazed by how many cals I burn per day. Does anyone actually eat 3000, 4000 or more cals per day and still lose weight? I'm not talking about world-class athletes, just your average Joe or Josie. Any thoughts?
  • jennbarrette
    Options
    Well, that what I am wondering, according my 24hr test numbers I could eat 4000 cals and lose weight. I am currently eating 1500 + exercise cals and lossing 2 pounds a week.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I would have a very difficult time bringing myself to eat that many cals. I've conditioned my brain to think in the realm of 1500-2000 cals per day. I know that is not enough at times, but I kinda feel guilty if I indulge.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Well, that what I am wondering, according my 24hr test numbers I could eat 4000 cals and lose weight. I am currently eating 1500 + exercise cals and lossing 2 pounds a week.

Unless you're freakishly tall (like 8 feet), there's no way your body burns 4900 calories in a day. The HRM faltered somewhere in there, it happens sometimes.

That's why I always say take this kind of measurement twice at a minimum (3 times is better). That way if any one reading is screwed up, you can toss it out as an anomaly or error.
  • jennbarrette
    Options
    Thanks Banks, I will try it a few more times and get a better read.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I think you have to give all numbers a "sniff" test. So... if some machine says you are burning 4000 calories a day, does that make sense given what is happening to you?

If it were true that you burned 4000 and you eat 1500 calories a day (as an example), you'd have a 2500 calorie deficit that day and a 17500 deficit over the week for a loss of about 5 pounds a week. Are you losing that fast?

For myself, when I was 223, I was eating about 2200 calories a day and not working out and I was maintaining. So, if I'd burned 500 doing additional exercise, my maintenance calories for 223 would be 2700. That means any number my HRM tells me NOW would have to be less than that because I'm 117 now so my maintenance calories before exercise have to be less than 2200.

Also, what kind of numbers did your HRM show throughout the day? I tried wearing mine today all day and on the way to work it kept flashing random numbers including ZERO and numbers much higher than my Max HR (like 195 and 250). Which means the calorie calculations were just some random number. So I took it off and threw it in the back of my car in disgust! :laugh: