Net Calories burned vs. Gross Calories burned

Options
which do you enter into your diary? would it be more beneficial to enter net calories burned or do you think it is negligible?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I go by net cals consumed, meaning I enter both gross cals consumed exercise cals burned. The difference between the two gives me neat cals consumed which is the number that matters.
  • 1nsanity
    1nsanity Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    yeah i do that too.

i guess when i say net cals burned i mean, do you subtract out the cals your body would have burned anyway even if you didnt work out?

like if my body burns 50 cals an hour just sitting on the couch, but i go to the gym for an hour and burn 300 cals, my net cals burned is only 250. should i ented the 250 or the 300 in my diary? it doesnt really make a difference i guess, but i just wanted others opinions
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it to that degree. Everything is just an estimate - cals burned, cals consumed, BMR, TDEE, etc. So to worry about 50cals here or there is a little much, IMO.
  • 1nsanity
    1nsanity Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it to that degree. Everything is just an estimate - cals burned, cals consumed, BMR, TDEE, etc. So to worry about 50cals here or there is a little much, IMO.

ahhh very true very true. the more i thought about it, and realized it was only 50 cals, the more it sounded like non factor haha
  • sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, the majority only enter actual exercise calories.