Is "eating more and losing more" true?

Options

Replies

• BeachBobbie
    Options
    I don't care who you are, 1200 calories is not enough! WTF!? Eat some food! whole foods of course. Real grass fed, pasture raised meats and vegetables and fruits (organic preferably). Workout and Drink a ton of water and BAM....kick *kitten* body!
    Why be hungry and *****y if you don't need to be???? Seems pointless to me!
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    there is a great group on here called eat more to weigh less. It is full of info and great people to help you. I did 1200 calories for about 9 months, lost a ton of weight and was evil to be around. I eat 1700 now and feel much better and leaner. But everyone is different.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rockette7
    rockette7 Posts: 18
    Options
    I don't know about loss yet, but with the original low goal MFP gave me, I became absolutely OBSESSED with food. I thought about nothing about what I could eat next, and craved crap I hadn't been interested in when I was trying to eat healthy on my own. After shifting around my activity level a little, I realised that while I sit at a desk for my job, I am pretty active, seeing as I walk absolutely everywhere, and work-out regularly, and am forever up and down the stairs at work. After that, I noticed the difference straight away. I feel better, I'm not hungry or going bonkers thinking about crisps. My fit of the fidgets mid-afternoon has gone for a more consistent energy level throughout the day. I might try and drop lower again as my body adjusts to eating less, but for me, it was too much too soon.
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    MFP set my calories as I wanted to lose about 2 pound a week, but they were too low, I was starving! initially I lost a few pounds then the weight loss stopped! After listening to some good ideas on this site and to be honest I was a complete novice when it came to TDEE and BMR so I took it all on board, initially I gained 3 pounds but I was encouraged to keep with the plan and I am happy to say the weight is now coming off steadily.
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body. If you have a lot of weight to lose, then no. If you're close to your goal or already relatively small, then yes.

I have a lot of weight to loss and eating small amoutns did not work for me, I actually gained...
    I could just have the most messed up body ever tho haha

nope - eating more works for me too - I upped from 1200-1400 - i have a lot to lose and I am only 5' tall. Try eating more and see how you get on - remember we are in this for life not just for a short time.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more to loose more. Especially if you are doing things like Insanity, P90X, etc. Calculate your TDEE, and based on that, determine how high you need to go in your calories.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I'd like to point out that the eat more to lose more concept applies only to people whose caloric deficit is too high (typically). I am a big believer in it though.

-M
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    At the bare minimum you need to be eating your BMR.

Nope. Myth.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It's as easy as calories in > calories out. Adjusting by a few hundred calories won't make much of a difference around the 1300 mark. There is no such thing as starvation mode... if there is then someone needs to explain how i lost 150+ lbs.

However, eating healthier food like whole grains and staying away from processed stuff does make a difference in mood in some people. There are studies that show psychological and physiological change in people who eat the same amount of calories but different foods (mcdonalds vs whole food home cooked meals)

yeah, when you look at the stuff in people's food diaries on here there's little wonder they can't get by on 1200 calories. The Minnesota volunteers were made really uncomfortable with a rubbish diet getting 69% of carbs from calories.

I wonder how many of the alleged "eat more to lose more" folks are getting the benefit of increased protein as the main effect.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I've been in the "eat more weight less" group for almost a week. I'm eating 2200 calories a day and I've drop a pound already. I'm just waiting the end of the week to weigh-in.

I've read all their posts and I do believe this is the way for me to lose. I could never live on 1200 calories a day, but I'm 5'10'' and 197 pounds. Everytime I tried to restrict my diet, I was angry, hungry and eventually binging in chips or chocolate.

Try to read the posts in this group and see if it's fits your lifestyle !

Totally agree - could have written this about myself (Except your height and weight!) exactly!
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i failed many times too, upped myself to around 1500 and have almost lost half of what i want to in like two months :]
  • ElHombre23
    ElHombre23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Eating more calories does not cause anyone to lose more weight. It's illogical and scientifically impossible. If you increase your calories from 1200 to 1400 you will lose slightly slower.

HOWEVER if the amount of calories you're eating is making you irritable then WHY THE HELL (excuse my language) are you eating that little? In order for weight loss to be a long-term success, you need to be doing something that you can happily do for a long period of time, or at least long enough to reach your goals. Not something that's pissing you, and everyone around you off.

This x100
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    bump
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    1200 calories made me VERY moody, crabby and VERY hungry. and the most important part - it was not sustainable. Becasue i dont want to be a yoyo dieter who loses and gains the same 10 lbs... i switched.

You can increase your caloric intake and lose weight!! you don't have to suffer with 1200 cals.
    figure out your bod's #'s BMR, TDEE etc.

As long as you are eating under your TDEE you will lose weight. Its as simple as that.
    Let me say that again, You can eat more than 1200 calories and lose weight!

Now this isn't a free for all, you still have to mind what you are eating and keep to your set calorie goal, but you don't have to restrict yourself so much.

Someone already posted the link to the group "eat more to weigh less" Please join that group - there is lots of great information available there.
  • taylorblues
    taylorblues Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes. I stopped losing and even gained a bit when on 1200-1300. Then I upped it to 1400-1500 but that didn't help much. After a plateau of 3.5 months I decided to try upping cals, my last choice, and it works! I now eat 1650-1700 NET a day and I'm losing 0.5-1 pound a week (v.close to goal weight so this is good!).

Do it! 1200 is very unhealthy it's most likely under your BMR which you never eat less than. Good luck!

Wow!! That sounds fantastic......I have been netting at my BMR....losing very slowly...I'm going to try upping my calories as I have been feeling hungry lately.

Thanks for the info.
  • jess__bat
    jess__bat Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body. If you have a lot of weight to lose, then no. If you're close to your goal or already relatively small, then yes.

I need to lose 50. I would like to do it in 5 months before my wedding.. bahaha. Hey a girl could dream right?

Maybe aim for 25 in three months and try to maintain and tone after. You don't want to be getting your wedding dress taken it, let out, if you crash diet, gain it back, then loose again!

I'm getting married in four months and whatever weight I am in two months is the weight I am going to maintain until the big day.

You are going through a lot, planning a wedding is maddening. I say put your calories slightly higher, maybe 1300, for your sanity. Also, if you want to eat more, exercise more! Some days I KNOW I will have three glasses of wine after work, or know I will want a high cal diner, so on those days I'll go for an hour walk, or try to get in a quick run to counter it.

GOOD LUCK and STICK WITH IT. The lifestyle change is more important that being miserable for the next five months. Be happy--you and your fiance deserve it. Friend me if you want support!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Don't try and lose to fast...cut back and live life. When you exercise you should be eating more. If you don't eat processed foods you can eat lots more and be full....not cranky and hungry
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    True in a sense. Think of it more like there is a such a thing as eating too little to lose healthily. Assuming you want to lose FAT, and not muscle or water weight - If you're undereating for a while you may experience any of the following: losing lean mass, weight loss stalls, generally feeling like ****, other health issues like hair falling out or no longer getting your period.

For best results, take a moderate calorie deficit, like 500 cals a day or 20% of TDEE. Those who take this path tend to succeed in the long term. Those who go on crash diets tend to rebound, and find themselves dieting over and over again throughout their lives.
  • IceBeads
    IceBeads Posts: 1
    Options
    I lost 10lbs and then I plateud so atm I am upping my calories but still leaving a 500 calorie deficit. With the amount of exercise I do I have to eat like 1800 calories wereas before it was 1200. If it doesn't work for a month then I will cut them down again. Nervous! Hope it works. Goodbye plateau.