Question for tri-athletes

Options
2»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It's called brick training and it sounds as though they may be practising their transition.

So should you brick train every time you train? they train swimming for 1 hour every tues and thrus morning and probably spend 25% of their time (or more) out of the water.

No, bricks are short and intense. You also want to do base workouts - slower and longer so you can handle the distances of each leg.
  • yokurio
    yokurio Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Brick Training Explained.

Not sure if you looked it up already.

http://www.martygaal.com/words/bricks.html
  • down_ell_beez
    down_ell_beez Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I did an Ironman 70.3 a couple years ago. When I first started training only did focused training. My whole workout would be only swimming, biking or running. Some days I would do two-a-days (swim in the morning, run at night etc). Then as my training progressed and I got closer to the event date I would do brick workouts. Swim outdoors straight into a bike or bike right into a run. I never went back and forth though.

One thing they might be trying to accomplish is to get used to the odd vertigo feeling you get from going straight swimming to the transition run. I know that when I get out of the pool I'm often slightly disoriented, and it takes a few steps to get into that run. So they could be practicing for that. The ironman I did had about a 100 m run to where the bike area was.
  • laurcampbell
    laurcampbell Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    how hard is it to transition from being a runner to tri-athlete? i have been checking out the magazines and one of the running clubs here did a local tri-athelon so it has me interested. i love all the sports indivually (spelling) but not sure how i would do getting them together i'm not a great swimmer....sorry op not trying to hi-jack you just the first time i've seen something on the subject.

I think it depends on how much endurance running you do and how seriously you would look to compete in the tri. I am a longer distance runner so I felt comfortable I had the endurance to finish when I registered for my first tri - granted it was a sprint tri series and all females (SheROX series / .25mile swim / 12 mile bike / 5k run). But I can honestly say that aside from the occasional brick training going from 5-10 miles on the stationary bike to jumping on the tread for 3 miles I didnt do much else to train, never even jumped in the pool or ocean to swim a lap and biked on my beach cruiser the day of haa...now granted it took me about an 1:05 to finish and I did the breast stroke and woke up with a sore neck from it but aside from that I felt great and had a blast(even went for another 18 mile bike ride that night to keep my husband company while he ran)! I was there to just to have fun and all the women were so encouraging - really recommend the SheROX series to anyone looking to get into tri's and for training it is probably best to do more than I did but definitely include brick training (it is the weirdest feeling going from the bike to a run).
    Have fun and good luck!