NEED ADVICE!! AM I WORKING OUT TOO FREQUENTLY??

Options
I have been trying HARD to make some major lifestyle changes. I have really done great, although I won't lie- my initial weight loss was only due to a serious family tragedy that almost stopped my eating for a few months. I have bounced back, eat AT LEAST 1500 cals a day, and have been on a wonderful workout schedula- or so I though, Generally I wake up at 4:30 (I work EARLY) and knock out a 30 min. cardio based routine with my Wii fitness trainer (these incluse a good blend of cardio and all over strength) Monday through Friday. On my 45 min. lunch breaks durring the week I alternate (4-5 days per week) 35 min on the elliptical, exercise bike, or tredmil. On weekends I try to incorperate a 60 minute fitness routine into my mornings each day, and always do various activities (beach cruising, coastal walks, short hikes, ext)

Recently I have read A LOT of opinions about how 'moderate' exercise (3 times per week- 1 hour per session) is much better for you becuase your body quicky gets 'used to' the frequest workouts each day, and doesn't as efficiently burn calories. I would like to lose a few more lbs (5 maybe) and have a lot of lower body toning. Please help me!! What do you guys think?? Oh BTW I am 27 years old, 5', 116 lbs. around 19-20% body fat. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY ADVICE!!!!

Replies

• whitm2103
    whitm2103 Posts: 41
    Options
    I read something that if you do the same exercises every day then your body gets used to the workout. Doesn't make sense to me cause people that run have amazing legs. So I just run run run and burn calories hoping to look like them. I am not good for advice but I would like to know aswell
  • to_the_surface
    Options
    Recently I have read A LOT of opinions about how 'moderate' exercise (3 times per week- 1 hour per session) is much better for you becuase your body quicky gets 'used to' the frequest workouts each day, and doesn't as efficiently burn calories...

What you're doing with the workout routine as described is getting your body so efficient at such routine that it "learns" to use less and less energy (calories) every time the routine is completed. That's efficiency from the body perspective and what you need/want for weight loss is exactly the opposite.
    If sticking to the same activities you can vary the duration and intensity from day to day. You can also alter which days of the week get the high intensity sessions from week to week. Basically mix it up.
    In my experience, what yields better results is combining more than one activity: jogging and cycling, walking and aerobics, weights and walking, etc, just to get an idea. Not only does it involve different muscles and abilities physically, it also helps reducing the possibility of getting bored doing the same activity over and over hence allowing you to stay on track longer.

I don't think the issue is working out too frequently, it is that you're following a too regular routine and your body is outsmarting you.

Good luck

AQ
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I was always told the reason things like Crossfit, Insanity, P90X ect. work is because you do different things each day. You may do the same things over time, but it's not a traditional "routine". Like others have said, try to vary the intensity and/or duration. Go for a walk one day, go for a bike ride the next.

Good luck!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    THe others may be right about changing up the routine but as far as over training I dont think you are doing that. I have had some very physically demanding jobs in my life. 8 hours six day a week of labor type jobs. Was in the best shape of my life and could not eat enough to gain weight. I am not recommending you do a workout routine like that only that the idea of over training is sometimes over exaggerated.
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Thank you gusy for the help......lol I in NO WAY think that I might be 'over training' I just hate the thought that I literally use EVERY SPARE moment fitting in as much cardio as possible- when maybe it would be more benificial for my body to do more of an every-other-day longer durration workout or something along those lines. I love working out. It makes me feel great! That being said I wanted to make sure that I wasn't sabatoging my own efforts. If working out everyday would make my body somehow more 'resistant' to burning calories as effiecently I would gladly nap on that comfy couch in our break room everyother day, but everything that was mentioned has very valid points. I think I def. need to incorperate more variety, and switch up the intesity often.