Need low carb diet help!

Options
As you can see from my diary, I've fallen off the wagon. I've come to realize that I eat waaaaay too many carbs and I'd like to slowly try to lower my carb intake and get it closer to 100grams, rather the 200 that I was usually at, back when I was tracking regularly. My problem is, I don't eat fish, so I'm limited with my protein. I'll eat chicken, beef and pork, but how should I prepare it? I do like fruits and veggies so I'm good there. I'm just so used to having my 1/2 cup of oatmeal, milk and sugar every morning and now I'm realizing, that's 44g of carbs just in my bowl of oatmeal! So if you are on a low carb diet, could you give me some pointers and ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    One of the best things that you can do is go to the site below and start looking for something that sounds good. Make a few dishes and that will likely inspire other ways to make your meals.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Breakfast - eggs and egg whites. omelettes, scrambled, fried, etc.; bacon works too. Have a piece of fruit with it to still have some carbs.
    Lunch/Dinner - less grains. Having meals that are just meat and vegetables are pretty good. I pan-fry most meat in some cooking spray or some kind of cooking oil after I season it. You can also bake, broil, and grill though.

I'm not really on low carb, but I have worked to cut it back a bit so I can consume more protein. The two tend to relate to one another. If I'm eating too many carbs, I'm usually not eating enough protein, and vice versa.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Once you get going it isn't bad. I eat less than 75 net per day and don't have any troubles with that most days anymore. it was tough to get going with it.

For breakfast I either have a protein shake (because I am lazy) or I have an "egg muffin" that I make and heat up. I use eggs, meat, cheese and low carb veggies.

Lunch is almost always a salad or homemade soup (unless I am lazy and then it is a protein bar). For salads, I cook up the meat in the crockpot for the entire week. Often it is shredded beef of chicken with taco seasoning since I love taco salads. I make lower carb soups/chili by restricting the amount of beans/pasta/potatoes and sticking to lower carb veggies (cabbage is your friend).

Dinner is my biggest meal. I have a salad and then my entree is almost always veggies and meat only. My new favorite is baked chicken breast with bacon and swiss. So yummy.

I eat at least 40 of my carbs on veggies. Another 25 come from an occasional fruit or "chip" product.