RUNNING MOMS HELP!!

I Just had a baby 3 months ago and I'm registered to run in a 5k on saturday. I have been training since I was released at 6 weeks and can run 3 miles relatively easily, but I leak a little. I don't feel like I have to go to the bathroom just after I've gotten home I realize that I've leaked a little on my pad. My last run (tuesday) I decided to do a 4.5 mile trail at about the 3.5 mile mark my pad was full and soaking my shorts. I had to walk the rest of the way. I know i'm going to be running faster (competitively) at my 5k and i'm afraid the same thing will happen. Any advice/suggestions? My 5k starts at 8 so maybe just drinking a smoothie before and not any water would help?

Replies

• jenelizmin
    jenelizmin Posts: 47 Member
    I can completely sympathise. I just discussed this issue with my Dr. today. They are actually sending me to a physical therapist that deals with "weak abdominal muscles". I have no idea what they may have me do there, but I'm open to anything. I've already been told I may have to have something done medically, but this is the first step. Anyway, If I'm going to be in a similar situation I hydrate well the night before, but really limit what I drink the day of. Right before the workout (or as close to start as possible) go to the bathroom. After you go, then stand up for a minute, then sit back down and usually you'll find there is a little more you can squeeze out. For actual running "protection" I use the most absorbant pad I can that fits comfortably. Then I wear spandex shorts under my regular looser shorts. The snug spandex keeps the pad closer to my body. It also helps keep me from feeling like I'm running in a soggy diaper. I'd love to hear other suggestions, but this works well enough for me, for now.