Protein Powder WITHOUT Whey?

Options
penrbrown
penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
Does anybody know a protein powder that isn't made with whey?

I'm trying to find something but I thought if anyone knows one off hand it would make my search much quicker. :D Thanks in advance.

Replies

• aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I have sunwarrior vegan protein powder aside from my whey. It's rice protein. You could also purchase soy protein. It's actually cheaper than whey.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    casein, soy, pea, rice, hemp, egg
  • rla099
    rla099 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    there is egg white protein powder. That doesn't have whey, right?
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Yes, i would suggest this too. Soy is not nearly as good as whey and also I read somewhere that it also does something bad for the body.
  • penrbrown
    Options
    I'm definitely going to look for the egg white protein powder but I was wondering if you guys have any product names?

I wasn't aware they made protein powder with these things! You guys are great. :D
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to milk and have a gluten intolerance, which makes it hard to get a protein powder.

I have tried several brands and different kinds - rice protein, soy protein, hemp protein.

My favorite is pea protein.

Look for Nutrasumma Pea Protein. It is delicious and is very easily digestible, which means it won't cause any gas like many protein powders.
    I like the chocolate kind, which has 113 calories, 20 grams of protein, and only 81 mg sodium.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You can go to bodybuilding.com and search for different types of protein.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    here is a GNC soy protein

GNC Pro Performance® Protein 95™ - Chocolate
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Hemp protein and brown rice are what I use.
  • penrbrown
    Options
    I am allergic to milk and have a gluten intolerance, which makes it hard to get a protein powder.

I have tried several brands and different kinds - rice protein, soy protein, hemp protein.

Look for Nutrasumma Pea Protein. It is delicious and is very easily digestible, which means it won't cause any gas like many protein powders.
    I like the chocolate kind, which has 113 calories, 20 grams of protein, and only 81 mg sodium.

Me too! I'm allergic to dairy and gluten intolerant. :D Thank you so much for the suggestion.

I just got the women's guide to heavy lifting or whatever it's called so I'm getting prepared. ;)
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Soy protein is tasty but a lot of brands don't dissolve too well if you don't mind that. Some of them tend to be higher in calories so shop around if you decide on soy protein. And some people and some science will argue that your body does not absorb it as well as other "high quality" proteins.
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yes, i would suggest this too. Soy is not nearly as good as whey and also I read somewhere that it also does something bad for the body.

Soy is great if you can find organinc, non GMO -- otherwise can really mess with your hormones. Stick with other veggie protein, or egg white protein.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

Me too! I'm allergic to dairy and gluten intolerant. :D Thank you so much for the suggestion.

I just got the women's guide to heavy lifting or whatever it's called so I'm getting prepared. ;)
    Most stores don't carry pea protein, just to warn you, and the plant protein blends are VERY expensive. Nutrasumma is a local company, so I can get it at my health food stores, but you may have to buy it online if you can't find it in a store near you.
  • K8tzmom
    K8tzmom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There are several protein powders made with SOY. Just Google "soy protein".
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    There is an MFR member whose company makes protein powder out of so many other proteins besides whey. Reach out to PtownMama. Good luck.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Anything by Sequel Vega is vegan and GF. And their stuff tastes good, and has tons of aminos etc. so IMO it's well worth the $ you save on supplements...
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If you have a Sprouts, Sunflower, Trader Joes, or Wild Oats, Vitamin Cottage, or any other natural grocery store they carry the alternative protein powders. I like the flavor and consistency of Jay Robb Egg White Protein.
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The protein powder that I use is Vegan, formulated without gluten, soy-free, and is made from brown rice, yellow pea and cranberry proteins. I love my shakes! I add in organic baby spinach, frozen blueberries and/or strawberries, sometimes almond butter, and ground flax. I also use a fiber boost to help kick up the satiation factor as well as to keep my pipes running smoothly. I've been maintaining a 30 lb weight loss and have been using them since 2007. Love love LOVE 'em!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Healthy n fit chocolate egg protein is the best egg protein I have found.
    Optimum nutrition makes one too, but it tastes like you'd expect protein powder to taste. HnF tastes like slightly worse Swiss miss hot cocoa, and is decent even with water.

Best whey/casein alternative for dairy sensitive people.

Edit: s/gold standard/optimum nutrition/