Couch to 5K

Options
So Im thinking of giving this a try. Has anyone had any sucess or know where you can download the podcasts?

Replies

• SteadyEdina
    SteadyEdina Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a regular runner and followed a 5k walk/run program to get me going. Do you have an ipod?
  • sportsmomof2
    Options
    Yes, looking to get started this weekend. Im super excited, to get started! : )
  • CrazyGraciegirl
    Options
    My mom was talking to me about this program. What's it like? She didn't know much about it except it slowly helps you to run a 5k. :)
  • kellyg198
    Options
    I did the Couch to 5K program in 2010 that I found on coolrunning.com and it worked great. I felt a little silly doing the short intervals at first, but I stuck with it and it really helped me increase my distance and speed. I was an off/on runner and wanted to get back into it without killing myself or getting discouraged. I just used a kitchen timer, stuck with doing the program 3 days/week and had a lot of success with it. I'm starting it again now that I'm getting back into shape after having a baby. Give it a try and Good Luck!
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I struggled with shin splints for years. I followed this program and was able to work through them and now can run without getting them. It's a great program. Don't get frustrated if you don't complete a day. Just go at your own pace.
  • DCUMM
    DCUMM Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm in week 2, after doing 3 months of cardio tapes to get started. It was a lot harder than I thought, but well worth it! You feel great after you complete each task. I started because one of my fitnesspal friends had done it and is now running all kinds of races and has dropped 70 pounds. She started with just a short, slow walk. The most important thing though...get the right shoes! If you don't, everything will hurt and you'll give up before you get started.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I did the time based C25K using the Get Running app on my iPhone. I went from not being able to run for even a minute to running 7.5k non stop.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    Coolrunning.com has the best program in my opinion... http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • LisaJ2904
    LisaJ2904 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm running now, 25 mins today jog/run after a month from nothing so very happy today xx
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    follow the guidelines and you will rock it!
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My mom was talking to me about this program. What's it like? She didn't know much about it except it slowly helps you to run a 5k. :)

It's a running program that starts off with short intervals of running followed by walking. It increases as you go and supposedly by the end you should be able to run a 5k without stopping.

I just started it yesterday! :wink:
  • sportsmomof2
    Options
    Thank you so much for the words of encouragement..you guys rule! I will let you know how it goes! <3
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You can also go to www.nhs.uk and search couch to 5k where you will find loads of info and podcasts!

I love C25K! I have restarted it at a faster speed now and I am booking it!! Lol!!
  • wally1uk
    wally1uk Posts: 120
    Options
    Yep!! It's awesome!! I have never run for 28 minutes straight before...and I'm doing it on week 8 now and it's getting easier all the time.

Just follow the programme, get some decent running shoes and decent socks to help deal with the inevitable shin splints and soon you'll be pounding the K's out (seriously, the first two weeks I was using crappy trainers and the pain in my legs was terrible. New running shoes for £35 and problems instantly cured).

Oh...and get outside doing it...it's so much more fun than pounding away on the treadmill. Plus you can track yourself using your smartphone's GPS and an app like mapmyrun for added fun and incentive!!

Just so you know, I'm 36 and was over 280lbs when I started...now still 220 and going down. I hope to enter my first 5K race in a month or so :)

It works for me...it can work for anyone!! C25K has helped my do something that I NEVER thought I would do. I love it!!
  • sportsmomof2
    Options
    Thank you so much for your comments. Any suggestions on a good running shoe??
  • mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    c25kfree.com if you look up c25k in the app store the app will come up (assuming you have an ipod or iphone and since you said podcast i am assuming)

I am in the middle of week 7. I used to be able to run 10-15 seconds at a time at first and today I ran 1.85 miles straight! I am still really slow, but the program is meant to increase your stamina and once you graduate then you can work on pace. Oh, and I weight 296 and started the program at 312. NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
  • mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My shoe is woman's stride by Sketchers at an affordable $55 which I got halfprice because I went to the outlet and it was buy one shoe get one half off :)

http://www.skechers.com/style/11635/stride/bkhp

11635_BKHP.jpg
    It shows up bigger if you go to the website.

I LOVE these shoes! I often have problems with width, arch, blisters, etc. but these shoes fit perfectly!!!!! Highly recommend.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    You'll love it!!!!!!

I actually use the C25K app and my own playlist on my phone... I just run them together.... Works great that way... I'm listening the music I love and normally workout to and the C25K app gives me my running/walking cues....

Good luck!!!! :drinker:
  • wenderbell
    Options
    I completely agree that Cool Running has a great program. I'll be finishing week 7 tomorrow. It is well paced and easy to follow.

But the biggest piece of success is your shoes. I started running a couple years ago and ended up fracturing both my shins. I was running with my regular tennis shoes. I suggest looking up a running store in your area that will do a full fitting for your running shoes. They can watch you run barefoot and put you in a shoe that addresses any issues you have. You will not believe the difference. Shelling out a little $$ on the front end for a good pair of shoes is way less expensive (and painful) than MRIs/X-rays after you've injured yourself!
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    It's a great program! I followed it and now I can run 5k and am trying to run even further. I'm entering my first 5k race in July and before Couch to 5K, I could barely run a minute without gasping for air.