So 1200 calories is wrong? Confused!

Options
OK So I thought what I understood and read online, was that if I wanted to lose 20 lbs, lets say, within the next 2 months, I need to eat 1200 calories per day. Is that not right? I am so confused?? I am eating a healthy mixture of things, I just started yesterday and I have not exercised other than housework and keeping up with 4 kids.
Am I not eating enough? I don't have a large time frame daily to get a lot of exercise in, so I was under the impression counting my calories would help me drop the weight.
Now I am super discouraged. And I was so positive earlier. BOO. :-/

I am 5' 8" and weigh right at 150lbs

Replies

• klgreen91
    Options
    I was told 1200 was the right then for me as well. I am 5'9 and 190 lbs. So not sure. I also dont have alot of time to excercise and will not be doing it daily so wanted to do this instead. so i am a litle confused now too.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Honestly, stop listening to anyone else's guidelines about how much you should be eating. YOU need to figure out how much your'e comfortable eating every day, enough that you won't be starving or unhappy, but little enough that you'll still be losing weight - however quickly or slowly.

Listen to YOUR BODY, not anyone else's recommendations. If you keep eating 1,200 a day and decide that's too little and you want to be able to eat more, okay, up it to 1,400 or 1,500. If you start eating 1,500 for a while and notice you're losing much slower than you'd like, okay, find a happy medium at 1,350. But bottom line trust your own self to be able to decide the number that's good for you.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 what MFP told you after you entered your information? Based on 20 pounds in 2 months that is about a 2.5 pounds loss a week sound about right?
  • calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I was reading into that too. I am eating 1,250 a day at the moment, but I think the more exercise you do, the more you need to eat. You need to fuel your body. If you dont feel like you are getting enough to burn off then up it a bit. its different for everyone. Someone who is 50 lbs overweight will probably need to eat more to keep their metabolism going. Thats my theory at least. Hope you figure it out. If you do let me know.
  • CravenBrittney
    CravenBrittney Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 what MFP told you after you entered your information? Based on 20 pounds in 2 months that is about a 2.5 pounds loss a week sound about right?

Yeah thats about right.
    Its all so very confusing. :( I just want to make sure I am investing all this time and doing the right thing, not doing something thats only going to make me look worse!
    EEK!
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    1200 is about right. Then, if you get to exercise, log the exercise and the amount of calories you are "allowed" goes up for that day. You have to "eat back" your exercise calories because you shouldn't be getting less than 1200 a day. HTH!
  • samanthanic0le
    samanthanic0le Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've found it to be trial and error. Some people lose on 2000, some on 1200. Stick with it for a month, if you don't lose enough or you feel tired, go up. I personally can't sustain 1200 but I'm not going to bash you for your decisions. I definitely agree with what Angie said. This is your body, you have to listen to it.
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    It all depends on you and your goals. Did MFP give you a different amount? I would say 20 pounds in 2 months (especially if you are not extremely overweight) is probably asking a bit much of your body. In general, someone who has that little to lose should be shooting for 1 pound a week or so. That's only a 500 calorie deficit. Then, unless you have figured all your exercise into your activity level when setting your goal, you should also be eating back most of your exercise calories. That's the way MFP works. I use sedentary as my activity level when setting my goal, so that if I don't have time to get exercise in, I know I'll be covered. But if I do exercise, I eat most of those calories back to maintain my deficit.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I've found it to be trial and error. Some people lose on 2000, some on 1200. Stick with it for a month, if you don't lose enough or you feel tired, go up. I personally can't sustain 1200 but I'm not going to bash you for your decisions. I definitely agree with what Angie said. This is your body, you have to listen to it.

Yup this ^^ you really have to find your sweet spot. Mine is around 1800-2000 to lose fat.

Though 20 pounds in 2 months when you are only 150 is a bit unrealistic. Losing too fast can cause "skinny fat" look and muscle loss. Slow and steady for good body composition :D
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Yeah thats about right.
    Its all so very confusing. :( I just want to make sure I am investing all this time and doing the right thing, not doing something thats only going to make me look worse!
    EEK!

if you only have 20lbs to lose, 2.5lbs a week may be too aggessive for you.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

What is your TDEE? http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that mfp will not recommend anybody to eat under 1200 calories a day.
    Because it is unhealthy or whatever.
    So you may not actually lose 20 pounds in two months if you eat at 1200 cal.
    I was 151 in feb when i started eating 1200 cal a day (eating back most of my exercise calories too), and in 2,5 months I lost 6 pounds.
  • sortin
    sortin Posts: 78
    Options
    Why the rush?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    OK So I thought what I understood and read online, was that if I wanted to lose 20 lbs, lets say, within the next 2 months, I need to eat 1200 calories per day. Is that not right? I am so confused?? I am eating a healthy mixture of things, I just started yesterday and I have not exercised other than housework and keeping up with 4 kids.
    Am I not eating enough? I don't have a large time frame daily to get a lot of exercise in, so I was under the impression counting my calories would help me drop the weight.
    Now I am super discouraged. And I was so positive earlier. BOO. :-/

I am 5' 8" and weigh right at 150lbs

I am a smidgeon under 5' 8", started this weightloss on 1st January 2012. Started on 1200 calories, still on 1200 calories, only eat 50-100 of my exercise calories back, have lots of energy, am not just under 5lbs from my goal weight.

In answer to your question, yes, 1200 calories per day DOES work.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Yeah thats about right.
    EEK!

You don't have much weight to lose. You should really aim for a more realistic goal of 0.5-1lb weight loss a week. I'm assuming you don't need to lose this weight for surgery, so there's not really a dire need for you to lose 20lbs in two months. I always say that weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. There are plenty of 'diets' that will make you lose 20lbs in such a short space of time, but if you want to keep it off for a long time (which I'm assuming you do), these aren't for you.

A lot of people seem to think 1200 calories a day is the default amount you need to eat to lose. I'm not having a go at you, it's a common misconception :) as a matter of fact, you can eat a lot more and still lose weight. You should never eat below 1200 calories though. You'll find that you plateau (stop losing weight for an extended period of time) very quickly. Not to mention, most people find they get very hungry, tired and grumpy on such a small amount. You're a lot more likely to fall off the wagon if you're not eating enough to keep you healthy and happy. With that in mind, set your weight loss goal to 1lb a week, eat what MFP says as well as your exercise calories (MFP doesn't add them until you do), although be careful with the numbers this site gives you for that, as they overestimate, but definitely eat some. I know it seems nonsensical - eating more to lose weight - but there are plenty of threads here which will tell you why it works :)
  • SeatownTilt
    Options
    Honestly, stop listening to anyone else's guidelines about how much you should be eating. YOU need to figure out how much your'e comfortable eating every day, enough that you won't be starving or unhappy, but little enough that you'll still be losing weight - however quickly or slowly.

Listen to YOUR BODY, not anyone else's recommendations. If you keep eating 1,200 a day and decide that's too little and you want to be able to eat more, okay, up it to 1,400 or 1,500. If you start eating 1,500 for a while and notice you're losing much slower than you'd like, okay, find a happy medium at 1,350. But bottom line trust your own self to be able to decide the number that's good for you.

Great Advice! Whatever you do, don't start yo-yo'ing and get discouraged. Pick a norm, stick with it, and self correct if you don't see changes you want. Positive changes take time!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Its not wrong per se.
    You just have to eat back all your calories to get to the proper number.
    Instead you could start out at the top end of the number and create a deficit by working out and not worry about eating back.
    Either way youll NET above 1200.

To simplify it....

MFP wants you to workout and earn food.
  • Ashatack
    Ashatack Posts: 41
    Options
    20lbs in two months? your going to have to excersize big time to lose that much. You atlest have to try a little. mabye get some leg weights for while you do your house work or something. What your trying to do is unhealthy but if thats what your ganna do then you shouldnt eat much more then that. im 5'3' 128 and on a 1200 calorie dite to lose 10 lbs. idk what advice to give you really, work out...
  • garciath
    garciath Posts: 1
    Options
    I am confused also. I can't eat enough calories and still stay within my limit for protein and sugar. I have only been on program for two days, but am struggling what to eat. I need some menus!!!!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I am confused also. I can't eat enough calories and still stay within my limit for protein and sugar. I have only been on program for two days, but am struggling what to eat. I need some menus!!!!!

whole foods.
    2 cups fresh veg a day and 2 fruit.
    Protein from multiple sources but preferably animal meat.
    Fats from nuts, oils or animal meat.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Assuming "moderately active", your TDEE is around 2272 cals/day. To lose a lb a week, take a 500 calorie deficit, so eat 1772 cals/day.