Hypoglycemia.

Options
Hey everyone,
I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia awhile back and I find it affects my everyday. I was wondering if anyone else on here has it and how they cope with it?
Thanks so much!!
Lisa

Replies

• LuneBleu85
    LuneBleu85 Posts: 217
    Options
    I'm hypoglycemic... I manage it by making sure I have food handy and not letting myself ever get hungry.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic (or hyperglucemic) but one of the complications of my illness is having hypoglucemia attacks since there are times that our blood sugar levels would crash & its why a diabetic needs to eat frequent small meals to keep the blood sugar in check.

Also I always make sure that I stuff some candies in my bag & take it everywhere even at the gym in case of these dreadful attacks. Because whenever I have this, I would feel very weak & dizzy that I'm about to collapse.
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    5 small meals/day (Not 2 big ones)
    Protein protein protein.
    Plan ahead; Carry a snack at all times (granola bars last forever in the bottom of your purse)
    Avoid refined/processed sugar.
    For quick boosts, do try a fruit drink/punch (when you crash, you may want the refined sugar just to get your levels up until real food can kick in)
    Don't let your blood sugar get really low very often (but remember the difference between a snack and a meal)
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Omg, I was just searching for this a few days ago. I'm severely hypo and have really been playing around w my macros to find what works for me. This week I tried upping carbs a bit to see if I feel better.

Feel free to ask me any ques or friend me! :)
  • alapoint89
    alapoint89 Posts: 632
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia awhile back and I find it affects my everyday. I was wondering if anyone else on here has it and how they cope with it?
    Thanks so much!!
    Lisa
    ditto i am as well
  • LisaGamerGirl
    Options
    wow! so happy to see i'm not alone :) i find eating every 3 to 4 hours is key, drinking lots of fluids (water, green teas) and ESPECIALLY staying the hell away from refined sugars!! protein really, really does help and i make sure my snacks and meals are balanced :)
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I have never been diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure its what I am, I can crash so fast if I miss a meal or go too long between them (crash as in I get all shaky and totally grey out and my lips lose all their colour and I look ill..it feels yucky!). So for me, I eat every few hours, I ALWAYS have something in my bag, preferably something that has a bit of everything in, some protein, fats and a litlte carbs like a muesli bar, but nuts are also great, or these cracker n'cheese dipper combo packs, I have even had recovery drinks in my bag for when i really needed a just in case. Staying hydrated also seems to help. I used to get them a lot when I smoked, but since quitting and taking better care of my diet, and being really prepared for them, I have only come close to having one, but haven actually crashed at all.

Meg