Ideas for Seasoning Egg Whites

Options
So i'm doing a 6 week clean eating challenge and the bulk of breakfasts are going to be egg whites in some way, shape or form. I'm looking for ideas on how to season the egg whites and make them have bolder flavor without adding salt, fats, or meats.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, that can't be easy as you are throwing away the tastiest and most nutrition part of the egg.
    My best suggestion would be to add the egg yolk for the sake of taste and nutrition.

But, if you don't want to do that, here's some things that will add flavour and not many cals: fresh herbs, spices, chilli, fresh salsas, mushrooms, caramelised onions (cook them yourself in a non stick pan - don't add anything, just cook them slowly till they are brown and sticky and delicious), hot sauce.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    whole ground pepper
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Pepper
    Rosemary
    Basil and Oregano
    Chives
    Paprika
  • royalty_mind_1me
    royalty_mind_1me Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I say add tomatoes, salt, oregano, dices bell peppers...makes good breakfast with laughing cow cheese...yum
  • superdonna
    superdonna Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Garlic pepper! Yummy!
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I made an awesome omelet with jalapenos and garlic and herb marinated mushrooms. I suppose you could aways marinate your own if you're trying to eat completely clean :) God, that was a great omelet. I think I'll make another tomorrow :happy:
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I add a little turmeric which gives them a yellow color and cayenne pepper for heat.
  • FullMelt
    FullMelt Posts: 8
    Options
    Vegetables. That person talking up the yolk - NO, maybe kind-of a little bit but... no. Add pepper, hot sauce and veggies.

I love yolks, but I don't think ~ 2g protein is worth loading up on sodium and (albeit good and yummy) fats.
    Egg whites, all day.

Spinach, BELL PEPPERS (crack), onions, apples (yes, egg whites and a diced apple), mushrooms, broccoli, STUFF YOU LIKE.

Egg whites are the best "add what you love" food, ever, period. Grub hard.

Party on, you.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Season the chicken that lays the egg first and whalah seasoned eggs. Season them lightly and sprinkle some in the food bowl also. After they lay the eggs you can then season them with another type of seasoning and just enjoy the variety of life. :happy:
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Vegetables. That person talking up the yolk - NO, maybe kind-of a little bit but... no. Add pepper, hot sauce and veggies.

I love yolks, but I don't think ~ 2g protein is worth loading up on sodium and (albeit good and yummy) fats.
    Egg whites, all day.

Spinach, BELL PEPPERS (crack), onions, apples (yes, egg whites and a diced apple), mushrooms, broccoli, STUFF YOU LIKE.

Egg whites are the best "add what you love" food, ever, period. Grub hard.

Party on, you.

I have to admit, the apple idea appeals to me. Pair it with something really savory and I'd be in heaven!
  • JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    As part of my breakfast every morning, I have egg whites with kale, mushrooms, onion, and salsa. It's really delicious.
  • Lieberm
    Lieberm Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like Tabasco on mine. Sometimes Franks for a sweeter change. Or salt free Mrs. Dash.
  • VanessaMFaulkner
    Options
    I add spinach, chayenne, pepper, a touch of garlic.
  • shellsie_j
    shellsie_j Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I add a TB of parmesan cheese and then add sweet chilli sauce when cooked. YUMMO
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    So i'm doing a 6 week clean eating challenge and the bulk of breakfasts are going to be egg whites in some way, shape or form. I'm looking for ideas on how to season the egg whites and make them have bolder flavor without adding salt, fats, or meats.
    poach your eggs?
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I make pancakes, which is 2 whole eggs, 2 eggs whites (you can just use four egg whites I did at first but I read up on the goodness of the yolk), 30gms of porridge oats (you can use flour, I've used rice flour before), a banana (the bigger the banana the thicker the pancake) and cinnamon I use lots ;) You put it all in a blender and blitz. You then cook as any normal pancakes, it makes, two or three depending on consistancy of the mix. I use a non-stick pan with a small coating of extra virgin olive oil. These are also nice with cocoa powder (no added sugar I use) instead of the cinnamon

I also make a sauce / jam sometimes, which is 40 grams of both raspberries & blueberries, I mash them both up together in a pan and heat, when done it won't look as though it two differnt fruit, and this is kid approved ;)
  • blutz
    blutz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    B
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I would say get some fresh herbs and use those and I love tomatoes with eggs
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Nutritional Yeast. It has a cheese-like flavor, adds 20 calories per tablespoon and B vitamins. Buffalo wing sauce would be nice, too.
  • averytds
    averytds Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Zucchini, salsa, spinach, the yolk....