Too Much Exercise?

Options
So, I've been working about to the tune of about 1,000 calories a day. 45-60 in of varying intensity cardio and15-30 min of ab and weight circuits.

I've gotten a few comments over the last few days that this is too much?

I don't feel over exerted and I have a Polar HRM that I use to monitor all my workouts, and all seems fine.

Any feedback or suggestions?

Replies

• zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Psh, not by a long shot. Unless you feel like you aren't recovering or are struggling to complete your workouts, then I'd say you're fine. There are a lot of slackers out there who hear that we should do a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise/day and miss the word *minimum*. To them anyone who goes over and above is a fanatic.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how much you're eating. And how long you keep it up. If you're eating 1,200 calories a day, burning off 1,000, and you intend to do this indefinitely, you'll hit a wall eventually. You might also be more prone to injury if you're doing it day after day and never take a day off.

So the answer to your question depends on a lot of factors.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    thats not too much at all. today i set my own personal record by going to the gym twice in a day- 2 hour shifts. lol. on average though, i go 5-6 days a week- 3/4 days of lifting with some cardio..off days are all cardio.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Probably not... though I do think that you need to build in rest days to allow your muscles to build and repair.
    You don't have to sit completely still on a rest day - you can walk or go for a relaxing bike ride, aim to use a different set of muscles at a slower pace.
    And, make sure you are are eating enough to provide you with ongoing energy to exercise that much.
  • lincolnpalmer
    lincolnpalmer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been eating between 2500 and 3000 cals.
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Not at all, last summer my 4-5 day routine included several 2 hour days a week (boot camp, spin and lift) plus morning boot camps. It wasn't a problem at all and I didn't feel over-exerted or tired all the time. In fact, it was the opposite.