Thoughts on 100 calorie snack packs?

What are your thoughts on 100 calorie snack packs? I always see 100 calorie backs at the store for treats and chips and it looks like a good portion size.

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Full of sodium so they'll make you retain water weight. Heavily processed ingredients and additives so arguably not too "healthy".

Calorie wise - low and easy to count though.
  • fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    they're cool if you have enough self control to eat ONE lol! i dont buy them though ... they taste funny to me
  • jackiecroberts
    jackiecroberts Posts: 115 Member
    I personally find that100 calorie foods are not really that filling and lead me to troubled waters. If you need a healthy snack, eat some zero fat Greek yogurt and fruit, or some almonds. Plus those snacks are loaded with preservatives, yuck.
  • fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    I personally find that100 calorie foods are not really that filling and lead me to troubled waters. If you need a healthy snack, eat some zero fat Greek yogurt and fruit, or some almonds. Plus those snacks are loaded with preservatives, yuck.

^^^ this ... thats why they taste funny :smile:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    They're good for portion control and I used to buy them when I started trying to lose weight. But I don't find them to be filling at all so totally not worth it for me anymore. I do love the Lorna Doone 100 calorie pack cookies for a sweet treat though. So yummy - so occasionally I'll buy those.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    They don't have much food in them. If you are looking for a "treat" they may be ok, but for a daily snack that is around 100 calories they aren't going to do much for your hunger. There are other options for about 100 calories (or less) out there that would be way more filling (and stick with you for awhile to tide you over until the next meal) and come in convenient single serve packages like yogurt, Breakstone 2% cottage cheese singles, 100 calorie almond packs, light string cheese, mini Babybel cheeses, Starkist chuck light sandwich ready tuna salad packages (I eat this alone or with a few crackers), individual baby carrot or apple slice packages (available in most stores produce dept and great paired with a string cheese or mini Babybel cheese).
    Of course to save money, you can make your own "snack" packs from larger containers of nuts, cottage cheese, baby carrots and cutting up your own apples for slices.
    Just a few things I do so I have good snack options available for me particularly at work so I don't end up at the snack machine.
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    I end up eating the whole darn box! And then I find I crave bad food afterwards!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    You're probably better off eating whole foods as snacks. Fruits, vegetables, and nuts are great for snacks. Or, if you want more of a treat, opt for something organic (crackers, cookies, chips, etc.) and make your own "snack packs" by dividing up the package into sandwich or snack bags.
  • FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    I actually don't bother with them. Instead, I'll take snack baggies and stuff them with set calorie amounts of things I love and keep them in my purse for snackage. Like almonds or Smart Food Popcorn.

Mostly though, if I get a craving, I will find the calories (save them during the day or burn some extra at night) to fit in a Reese Peanut Butter cups pack. Actually filling the craving makes it go away and I find it's coming back less frequently.

I also just grabbed a pack of Stevia (sp? I could be wrong. The leaf stuff. Haha) and plan to replace the sugar in my milk tea with that to help get a handle on my sugar urges.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    If you want something specific like an Oreo, or pretzels, they're easy to portion out. I wouldn't make a habit of them, but they're good for an occasional treat...
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Saves me from going over my calories hitting the vending machine. Yes, they're tiny and processed, but if what I want is some chocolate NOW a tiny bag of chocolate covered pretzels is more reasonable than what I will end up eating if I deny myself. Also enjoyable, the chocolate covered short bread cookies. I certainly don't use them everyday, but it's a good back up plan to carry in my work bag for craving nights.
  • DOElston
    DOElston Posts: 102
    No one is going to go from chocolates and pizza to wheat grass and carrot sticks overnight!

I've found that the 100 calorie packs are wonderful treats and are already portion-controlled for us. I have had success in making better choices each day, bit by manageable bit. Maybe one day I'll crave nothing but organic bean sprouts and unprocessed quinoa but until then, I think 100 calorie packs and comparable goodies have been a pleasant assistance on this journey.
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Good for a treat when needed but not a sustainable snack in my opinion. Also from an price standpoint, I think its cheaper just to portion out your own 100 calorie (or very close) snacks from the the original snack that is not prepackaged. If you're going to eat a processed treat you may as well save a bit in your wallet by doing the portions yourself:smile:
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    over priced and not satisfying.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    100 calorie snack packs = bad food with portion control
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,238 Member
    meh.
  • jaydubbayu
    jaydubbayu Posts: 456
    I have a problem with feeling full. I like a 200 calorie snack, personally. I can handle it.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Did you know Blue Diamond almonds come in 100 calorie snack packs now? Ohhhh yes they do. There aren't many in the pack but if you need just a little something to tide you over they are lovely.

I like the chocolate shortbread cookies too. I keep a pack in the fridge at work. I'd rather have that 100 calorie pack than the 300 calorie candy bar in the vending machine when I start craving chocolate.
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    I always want to eat more than one. BUT the 100 calorie bags of popcorn are amazing. They are satisfying and it seems like a great amount. Yum, I eat one pretty much every day.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    I find them a GREAT way to add up just how many snacks I had...like...6 of them O.o