Flavoired instant oatmeal? Good or bad

Options
13»

Replies

• Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Rolled oats are wholegrain, oatflakes are not. Oatflakes tend to be what's used in instant oatmeal.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I love them, personally! I get the low sugar variety
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I love Maple & brown sugar, Rasin & Spice, Apples & Cinnamon too.

I mainly just buy Maple and Brown Sugar, I add banana and raisins in it, with a teaspoon of honey...It is delicious its about 400 calories all together which is perfect and I got some of my fruit in for the day already.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Better Oats Oatfit brand. I get the no sugar added. I tastes awesome and is very easy for me to prepare at work.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Thank you to the posters who replied with healthier versions. I am definitely up to trying some new ideas and do agree with you that the processed 'extras' add up...

It didn't even occur to me to make my own - Quaker just made it so easy to tear open a bag of perfectly portioned breakfast.

It worked for me to make my own, since I could put it in my microwaveable container. Then perfectly portioned and ready to go. And I don't like my oatmeal very smooth, so my trick was to put the milk (water, almond milk) when I left for work. Then pop it in the microwave when I got to work for 1-2 minutes and it was perfect. :)

I found it really wasn't any more work than the packet. When I had plenty of room at my desk, then I would make a "big bag" of oatmeal, and grab a few spoons for daily consumption.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If you can eat regular oatmeal rather then instant you are better off, just because of the extra sodium in the instant oats. Regular oats doesn't have any :) If its not convenient premake it and put individual servings in tupperware containers or seperate oats into baggies so you can just dump them in a bowl, add water, and microwave :)
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I like instant oatmeal and I think it's ok to have. I only buy Better Oats Oat Fit Cinnamon Roll and Maple Brown Sugar. These are 100 calories per pack and no added sugar. I like to add a chopped apple or blueberries to it.
  • JustLena75
    JustLena75 Posts: 114
    Options
    I have recently fallen into lust with Cinnabon flavor Cream of Wheat...170 cals when made with 1/2c skim milk...NOM NOM NOM.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I say yay. They tastes good and the people who sell it says they're healthy because companies never lie. NEVER :tongue:

but seriously I eat them
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I eat instant oatmeal practically everyday. I love the Maple & Brown Sugar and the Apples & Cinnamon that Walmart sells under its Great Value brand. It fits my macros and fills me up.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Is it your best option? No - but its not bad for you. I eat it almost every morning with fruit mixed in.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I think its fine if it fits in your daily calorie intake. I make plain instant oatmeal for my children and then add some all fruit preserves to it. They love it and it cuts down the sugar intake a bit.
  • Marlene10025
    Options
    I'm not an oatmeal lover, but I just read in Runner's World today that the flavored instant oatmeal is fine. Hope that helps!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I use instant oatmeal as a last resort breakfast choice, when it's better than a bagel or a donut or nothing
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon Roll Instant Oatmeal is my main breakfast now - mmmm... Comes in generic too which is still tasty
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    i'm team, "if it fits into your macros than eat it". I personally do not like the high sugar and high calories since my off days (days i do not workout) i only eat 1280 calories.
    I eat the original flavor, 100 calories and 0 grams of sguar, and add my own sugar.
  • knowledger
    Options
    I wouldn't say "bad" its better than a donut or other high cal foods you could be eating for breakfast however you'd get more nutrition out of cooking regular oats yourself and you'd probably get more fiber and feel fuller.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Taste good. SO to me, it's always good.
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I have recently fallen into lust with Cinnabon flavor Cream of Wheat...170 cals when made with 1/2c skim milk...NOM NOM NOM.

I love, love, love this! It is one of my favorites, although I just make it with water. I like adding in a few raisins.