Ladies? Ever cut your hair short and regretted it?

Options
deniseg31
deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
Have anyof you girls ever chopped off all your hair...gotten a boy cut?

This is something that I have always wanted to do...but due to my size I never ended up doing so because I thought I would look rediculous having an extremly round face and the excess weight really didn't make me look any better. Last June I cut off 16 inches of hair (to about chin length). Today after a couple of trims it's about shoulder lenth but I am now toying with the idea of finally chopping it off since I've lost quite a bit of weight. I am crazy and I would like a Michelle Williams cut...like this.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2010-05-18-MICHELLEWILLIAMSHAIR.jpg

Any of you girls made the cut to something this short and entirely regretted it?

If I don't chop it off I definately want to do something different to it maybe like this...but im scared of these much needed changes.

http://www.fhm.com/images/media/fckimgs/emma-stone-2(1).jpg

Thank you lovely people...

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I thought about this for months and at new year finally just did it.... got all my hair chopped off and it's only got shorter ever since. Now it's about 2 inches long - at the longest part! I'd love to say that it looks like Halle Berry but I'm just not that gorgeous. It's almost that short though.
    My advice is "just do it". If you don't like it, try another style or another hairdresser. You only have to wait a month or so to see someone else for another style if you aren't happy.
    Or, if you really don't like it, let it grow again. The great thing about a hairstyle is that you are always a few weeks (or months) away from another style, nothing is permanent.. even if you want it to be!
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Thanks! See, my sister in law keeps telling me the same thing...just do it and I am so tempted to do so. I asked hubby and he said "whatever..." I told my kids I might do that this weekend and autimatically and in unison I got an "ewwwwww" :ohwell:
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Nope...I feel more motivated to lose weight now that I know the haircut/style itself looks good on me XD I somehow accidentally cut my bangs instead of the back of my hair like I intended to, so it looks a bit odd at the moment...ah well haha, it will grow back soon, faster if you eat healthily!
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    When I first did it long ago, I was surprised at how I suddenly felt like everyone was looking at my face. It was unnerving and I wore hats often. I didn't realize how much I used my hair as a curtain to hide behind. In time I got used to having my face out all the time and was soooooooo happy at the lack of maintenance involved. I keep it long now, but it's always in a clip so I might as well cut it again.
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I still have my hair quite short at times, the first time I shaved it of it took me awhile to get used to it but got so many compliments....
  • trekkiebeth
    trekkiebeth Posts: 172
    Options
    I've never cut it boy-cut short, but I cut it above my shoulders once and hated it. But I think it's just my face shape, plus I prefer long hair in general. It totally depends on your face shape, personality, and preference. If you think short hair might be more "you," then you should probably go for it!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, do it, the Michelle Williams cut is gorgeous! I'd like something like that but my hair is too thick and wavy to sit nicely in that kind of style.... I might take that pic to my hairdresser next time though and see what she can do :smile:
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    i've cut mine to a boycut (once a buzzcut) a few times. i regretted it once i REALLY wanted loooong hair, just because long hair takes years. also, it's really hot here and it turns out that a ponytail is the 'coolest' hair do/cut in the heat. short hair was hell and i couldn't do much about it.

but, it's hair, it grows back :) so anything is worth a try.
  • b3llzy
    b3llzy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I cut off 13 inches of hair and I'm still living with the mistake....My hair is NEVER down now. I have to use bobby pins to keep it up. Never again! Gah!!!! lol
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I always have a weak moment and cut my hair! I always regret it after (I've done it at least 8 times) My hairdresser is smart enough to talk me out of it now, because she knows that I'll hate it in a week.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I did...but it was an altogether bad experience. I brought a magazine that actually had now do directions for the hair dresser but she thought she knew better and just did it herself, unfortunately it looked nothing like the picture, the cut she gave me did not suit my face and I ended up looking like a little boy (but not in the cute pixie cut way). The shortest I've gone since then is a graduated bob that ended at chin level, I liked it, but for me I found shorter hair was actually a lot more work than longer hair, so currently my hair is long again.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    A short cut makes you stand taller and act more confident. You have to-there's nothing to hide behind anymore. I think the first cut is great. At worst you just wait until it grows out.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have, the summer after I graduated high school. I didn't regret it, but essentially all my guy friends told me I look cuter with long hair and the girl thought I was brave to cut it so short.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    My hair has been long since I was a child. I'm almost 55 and it's still to the crack of my bum. I debate whether to cut it all the time. I have almost decided to cut it super short, for the first time in my life, sometime in the coming months. I really love this cut on Ginnifer Goodwin. Maybe I would love it on me too. I know it would be super easy to care for, compared to the hair I have now!
    ginnifer.jpg
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Yes. I had a pixie cut for years. It was okay on me, but very difficult to grow back out. The "in between" stage sucked. My haircut now is great for me.

It's a big commitment going super short on your hair so I suggest doing incremental cuts before going pixie. Pixie cuts require monthly trims also (sometimes more often) depending on how fast your hair grows and the cut you want.

Contrary to popular opinion, I never found a short hair style to be less maintenance. You still have the blow dry, style, and shape it just like long hair. That combined with the trim schedule can make short hair more maintenance than medium to long hair (no ponytails).
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i cut my hair last november and HATED IT. infact i havent cut it since, but i hit my mini goal today so i guess i should go get it trimmed. i couldnt put it up (it was to short) i was cold. it made my cowlick stick up weird. and it just looked horrible. and like the above poster said it was actully more work. with my long hair now (past my chest) all i do is wash it and go to bed and it looks beach wavey. < check it out.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i went from having hair that long i could sit on it, to about 2 inches long all over. i hated it and grew it out straight away. the style itself was lovely just didnt suit me. as others have said go for it and if you dont like it grow it out
  • nomorewishing
    nomorewishing Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've never gone that short, but I have gotten my hair cut short many times. Usually it was my moms idea and it always looked awful. I just don't have the face for short hair. Now my hair is a little over halfway down my back and it's a pain, but I plan to keep it that way! :P I do really like that cut though. I say if you want it go for it. It's just hair, it will eventually grow back. :)
  • anamikaraks
    anamikaraks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I shaved it as a fundraiser. It is still growing bacik. I do regret it. I would have just found the money myself if I had known how LONG IT TAKES TO GROW! It's been a year and the longest hairs are now 6 inches.
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    Never :D