how to get kids active?!

Options
I babysit a 5 year old girl, a 7 year old girl, a 7 year old boy, and a 9 year old boy. I have my 5 year old girl too. There's also a 2 year old boy that I babysit only on saturdays along with the rest of them.
The boys are addicted to the playstation and it irritates me sooo bad! I can't get them to do anything else :ohwell: and the girls are super clingy to me. Sometimes I don't mind, but some times I want to rip out all of my hair. Also, the 7 year old girl is extremely overweight and when she isn't doing anything, (which is often) she wants to eat.. :frown:
It's starting to get really hot outside, so outside activities have to be limited. I can't even think of anything fun for them to do out there anyway!
My cousin suggested that I make them do my house work. I thought that was a good idea. :laugh: but of course there's only so much that needs to be done...
Anybody have any other good ideas or know of good websites? Activities, games, crafts, etc, that would keep them active? and interested in being active?

Replies

• Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, my parents would just lock my brothers and I outside with some toys and balls and make us figure out what the hell we were going to do for entertainment.
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Get active with them. Take away the damn game console. Limit food options for the girl and offer her water instead.
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, my parents would just lock my brothers and I outside with some toys and balls and make us figure out what the hell we were going to do for entertainment.
    I do plan to do this when I move into my house next month. Currently though I live in a huge apartment complex and my front yard is a really busy parking lot :(

Get active with them. Take away the damn game console. Limit food options for the girl and offer her water instead.
    no way! and then what happens?! :flowerforyou:
  • CeeRawr89
    Options
    Honestly, if it were me, I'd have healthy food options. I'd definitely get active with them, and I'd definitely get rid of the games. I'd get rid of juice because it is full of sugar and will do nothing but spike the sugar levels, and I would talk to the parent about portion control and explain why you are doing these things, because you care for them...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    are you babysitting them at your house? if so then take out the playstation for a bit and set up some things to do in the meantime.

if you're babysitting in someone else's house then i dont think it's appropriate for you to be trying to change their lifestyle in their own home. that's kind of their parent's job.
  • CeeRawr89
    Options
    are you babysitting them at your house? if so then take out the playstation for a bit and set up some things to do in the meantime.

if you're babysitting in someone else's house then i dont think it's appropriate for you to be trying to change their lifestyle in their own home. that's kind of their parent's job.
    Agree. If you want them to get active in your home, take out the stuff that's causing them to be inactive in the first place, if it is not your home, speak with the parents.
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    the food is not my concern! I only offer them healthy options and they only eat at their designated times. it's their boredom and laziness and lack of enthusiasm to stay active. As for the girl, I don't feed her every time she says she's hungry. I am having trouble keeping her constantly busy so I'm not constantly hearing "I'm huuuuungryyyy".
    I actually didn't think of hiding the console and games though... I am going to start doing that.
    I usually do play with them too as much as I can but sometimes I just get "sensory overload" and need some quiet time which they don't seem to have ever been taught.
    My question is though about fun games, activities, crafts, etc... to keep their bodies/hands/minds occupied?
    the "some things" that would be set up is what I need suggestions for! I don't know what kinds of things to set up :laugh:

...I keep editing my post because I keep forgetting to add things. haha sorry if you miss anything. I do babysit them at my house.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Bump, interested c:
  • Ttopeka
    Ttopeka Posts: 160
    Options
    I know you said outdoor activities should be limited, but I want to throw one out there in case you change your mind -- geocaching (http://www.geocaching.com/) -- "Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location."

It's tons of fun for adults and kids alike, and can get you moving and exploring outside. The only downside is that you need a smart phone, or a GPS.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options

I wouldn't limit food options just for her. Offer healthy choices for them all. If she's singled out, it's going to hurt her feelings.

Take them to the park? Do they have a pool somewhere near by? Or pets that they can walk? How about just an old fashioned walk?

Or play hide and seek outside?
  • CeeRawr89
    Options
    Try crafts, like making cards and pictures and stuff that they can take home? Google search crafts that are age appropriate! :)
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I know you said outdoor activities should be limited, but I want to throw one out there in case you change your mind -- geocaching (http://www.geocaching.com/) -- "Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location."

It's tons of fun for adults and kids alike, and can get you moving and exploring outside. The only downside is that you need a smart phone, or a GPS.

My husband & his friends are obsessed with this! It seems really fun, I have been on a few but I am kinda not the nature type lol
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I missed the hot outside part.

Buy some of those bad *kitten* twistables colored pencils and have coloring contests.

Make food together...healthy food, and get all the kids involved.

Make noodle crafts with construction paper, glue, and a bunch of different noodles.

Pretend that you are on a diet/exercise kick and do some calethenics, and maybe the kids will think you're cool and want to imitate you. Teach them how to do push ups, and yoga poses?

Take 5 minutes every day to "stretch out" and do all kinds of stretches together.

I can't think of anything else right now.
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Have children cooking class with them. With healthy foods. Make sweet potato chips or carrot fries or some vege ragu to go with pasta. Should kill about an hour or so and then get everyone to eat healthier. And then, get them to make a cold jug of lemonade for the heat outside, bring all that food (and drink) and have a picnic at some shaded area. Bring a frisbee. Bring 2 frisbees.
  • Ttopeka
    Ttopeka Posts: 160
    Options

My husband & his friends are obsessed with this! It seems really fun, I have been on a few but I am kinda not the nature type lol

I was never the nature type until I started geocaching :) It amazes me how much I've changed and what I'll do to get a geocache -- climb trees, wade through rivers, get completely muddy and dirty and it's all so much fun! Of course, there are PLENTY of geocaches that do NOT require such extensive involvement and are perfect for children, so don't get the wrong impression. Geocaches come in all shapes and sizes. Some are 5 mile hikes into the woods, some are in city parks, others are located in parking lots. There is something for everyone there, even the non-nature types of people!
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Simple games like ring-around-the-rosey, hide and seek, duck duck goose.....can all be played indoors. If you don't have enough space for hiding places, then do egg-hunt type games. Follow the leader - you lead, so it doesn't get too crazy - can be really good inside. too. Reading to them isn't terribly active, but it is good for them, sparks imagination, and doesn't involve them looking at a screen. Legos, art supplies, and simple blocks are all great activities for little minds. We have some big floor puzzles that my 7 year old loves to do with me.

Other indoor games: Simon Says, Mother May I, hopscotch (colored tape on the floor), Twister.
  • EmmieSu
    EmmieSu Posts: 136
    Options
    A schedule would help tremendously. If its the same everyday, they'll learn, and things will go much smoother,and they'll be more active. say something like this...
    7-8 am breakfast and cleanup ( quiet activities for those that eat quickly)
    8-9 am age appropriate educational activities ( coloring, puzzles, workbook pages, ect..) You don't have to "teach" per say, just encourage them in learning.
    9-10 am outdoor activities, or games that get them moving ( no computer or playstation), you can find group games and such on the web.
    10-11 playtime (non stationary) or they can help with your lunch prep (set the table, was veggies, pour drinks. etc.)

11-12 lunch and cleanup (have them help)

12- 12:30 outside play ( sidwalk chalk, bubbles, jump rope, walk)/or story time
    12:30 ?? quiet/naptime (all children need quiet time, even if they just lay down and look at a book
    Then follow naptime with a snack, then complete the rest of they day, with more activities.
    Allow only a 15 min time for playstation time for each child, and keep a chart. Libraries, schools, churches and parks depts. often have activities for children on a weekly bases. During the summer our local library has activities for all ages, everyday. Make a daily/weekly trip to the park. I find tons of activities to do with children on the web, teacher aid stores and homeschool site. You can also fing books for gym like activities, too.
  • Shannonbayer
    Shannonbayer Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    A homemade obstacle course?
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Team work games and activities such an obstacle course where one's blindfolded and one isn't and has to guide them.

Activities based around festivals/events ie religious events, olympics, holidays whether it's card -making, learning basic words, discovering why, food related,

Jigsaws, books, colouring, card making.

I like the idea of healthy food stuff, maybe make a fruit salad, a blind-folded food taste test with diff fruits/veg.

I shall have another think and come back
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Take them to the park - let them swing and climb and slide and run about. Take a ball and play football or catch. f it's raining, put them all in waterproofs and welly boots and take them puddle jumping. If it's really nasty wehter outside, take them to a soft-play centre where they can climb and jump around to their hearts' conent. Keep an eye out for local free festivities such as fetes, galas and festivals that you can take them to - the summer is usually filled with them. Check out all the different parks in your area and WALK to as many of them as possible. Take a picnic lunch with you so you can stay all day (don't forget to take the sun cream with you though!). Turn on the radip and play musical statues or musical bumps or just all dance like crazy things. Find out if there are any local dance or drama workshops they can attend. Read them a story and then have them act it out afterwards.

These are all things I do with my 3-y-o boy. He's aware of computers and occasionally watches a couple of music videos or we let him play around with his letters on a Word document, but he has no idea computer games even exist.

Make computer games a big No-No when they're in your care. They can play with those at home if they want, but make their time with you so exciting and fun that they don't even think about the computer console. :)